Brexit Consequences

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
jimbob
Light of Blast

Brexit Consequences

Post by jimbob » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:20 am

I couldn't see a thread on this, after Brexit got done.

So here's a start courtesy of Twitter
Fish start.jpg
Fish start.jpg (70.22 KiB) Viewed 5168 times
Fish Going.jpg
Fish Going.jpg (73.95 KiB) Viewed 5168 times
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Re: Brexit Consequences

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:58 am

Lets compare the relative sized of the UK EEZ, and the EEZs of Norway, the Faroe Islands and Greenland.
North Atlantic EEZ.png
North Atlantic EEZ.png (288.71 KiB) Viewed 5113 times

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:05 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:58 am
Lets compare the relative sized of the UK EEZ, and the EEZs of Norway, the Faroe Islands and Greenland.

North Atlantic EEZ.png
Presumably the UK's EEZ sticky-out bit North of the island of Ireland is due to Rockall.

ETA: apparently teh wiki says no.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:25 pm

jimbob wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:20 am
I couldn't see a thread on this, after Brexit got done.

So here's a start courtesy of Twitter
Fish start.jpg
Fish Going.jpg
Ouch - that's neck-snapping in mental U-turn-ness

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:29 pm

That sticky-outy bit is apparently where most mackerel are concentrated. Lucky us, well at least I like mackerel, hopefully lots of other Brits do too...

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:50 pm

Peter Foster, who has either escaped or been fired from the Telegraph where he annoyed the readership for writing sense about Brexit for several years after the referendum, has an interesting story today. it seems like a perfect example of why trade deals are hard.

I'm going to attempt to summarise it here because that will force me to check my own understanding, and I'm sure y'all will correct me if I get things wrong.

Let's imagine that the UK can import flour from the US under some future trade deal, while the EU continues to impose tariffs on American flour. A UK cake manufacturer could import flour from the US and makes it into cakes to export to the EU. This would (probably; I don't know that actual details for cakes) get them an exemption from tariffs (or a reduction) because they have substantially transformed the product. On the other hand, a UK factory that just imported US flour, then added baking powder and called it "British self-raising flour", probably wouldn't get the exemption, because they haven't done much to it. Trade deals and arbitration are all about questions such as whether making a cake is a substantial transformation but adding baking powder isn't.

Next, consider a company like Danone that makes yoghurts in France with English-language labels to send to the UK and Irish market. They put 24 yoghurts in each box, half strawberry flavour and half banana, and send 200,000 boxes to their distribution centre just outside Felixstowe. (I have invented all the details here for illustrative purposes). Now, perhaps Irish consumers like banana yoghurt a bit more than Brits, and strawberry a bit less, so imagine that part of the job at the distribution centre is to unpack the boxes and put 100,000 banana yoghurts and 50,000 strawberry ones on a truck and send it to Holyhead (or Liverpool, to go to Belfast, also in the EU, ha ha).

Now, when those goods arrive at Dublin, the EU customs people will ask two questions:
1) Was this product imported to the UK? (Yes, it was)
2) Was this product substantially transformed in the UK? (No, it wasn't - they just unpacked the boxes and adjusted the product mix a bit).

It turns out that 1-Yes, 2-No means "Congratulations! Tariffs apply!". And this is apparently true even if the untransformed product was imported to the UK from the EU. :o

(Again, all this assumes I've read and understood this properly. You can mentally insert this caveat at any point in this post.)

According to Foster, the EU's response is basically "Well, we could make an exception for goods that have entered the UK from the EU and are being sent out unmodified, but we're not going to". Which in turn implies that Danone are going to have to start shipping their yoghurts to Ireland directly, either via sealed trucks from Calais that don't enter the UK customs-wise, or on the new super-ferries. Either way, I presume that will slightly increase costs for Irish consumers, which seems a little unfair even if the other possible consequence (i.e., Danone shutting down part of their Felixstowe operation because they no longer need to take some of the strawberry yoghurts out of the boxes, costing UK jobs) is a "reasonable" consequence of Brexit.

Even from a strong Remainer point of view, this seems a little unfair, even Kafkaesque. It also has the potential to hurt Ireland, who have been very well protected by the EU up to now. Some of the other tweets in Peter Foster's thread, and some of the replies, address this.
Something something hammer something something nail

Beaker
Stargoon

Post by Beaker » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:32 pm

Yup, you have that correctly.

Similarly, if you have a manufacturer in Ireland, they can’t send a truck across the Irish Sea, pick up from a sister plant in UK on the M62 corridor on the way past, and drop to an EU DC via Hull. Truck would have to be sealed on the UK leg.

That’s the way trade is if you don’t have a customs union.

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:51 pm

On a twitter thread that was linked to on a twitter thread that was linked to on a twitter thread that was linked to somewhere on here it said that Brexit group leave dot EU had had to relocate to Ireland so that they could keep the dot EU bit of their moniker.
Or something.
I have not bothered trying to verify this; it could be just some sh.t someone made up
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

malbui
Fuzzable

Post by malbui » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:21 pm

The British food market along the road from me has closed and the British food aisle in my local Carrefour is empty.
And when it starts to slide
Let it go
Leave it behind

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:58 pm

malbui wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:21 pm
The British food market along the road from me has closed and the British food aisle in my local Carrefour is empty.
*Insert some Continental European joke that this is yet another Brexit Dividend.*
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

Ladysavage
Sindis Poop

Post by Ladysavage » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:08 pm

I've just lost an hour of my life having to fill in details for our duty team to allow us to receive stuff from Germany. If this is gonna happen on a regular basis we'll be slammed here in the lab as only 4 out of 13 of us can order items and also it's gonna lead to delays in our goods arriving. 'SAKE

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:23 pm

Ladysavage wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:08 pm
I've just lost an hour of my life having to fill in details for our duty team to allow us to receive stuff from Germany. If this is gonna happen on a regular basis we'll be slammed here in the lab as only 4 out of 13 of us can order items and also it's gonna lead to delays in our goods arriving. 'SAKE
Isn't that from Japan?
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Ladysavage
Sindis Poop

Post by Ladysavage » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:28 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:23 pm
Ladysavage wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:08 pm
Isn't that from Japan?
that's saké, 'sake is about as polite a term as you'll get in Scotland when you're faced with a mountain of red tape...

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:39 pm

Just HOW in the name of all that f.cks is one penny of this going to help?
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

nekomatic
Dorkwood

Post by nekomatic » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:02 pm

Well they only need to do that another nine and a bit times and they’ve raised the first week’s let’s spend it on the NHS instead, see?
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:07 am

I think you missed out thousand.

bmforre
Snowbonk

Post by bmforre » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:11 am

TimW wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:07 am
I think you missed out thousand.
Add or remove a zero or two or three - doesn't change the principle.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:44 am

tenchboy wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:39 pm
Well at least these are for people actually doing something wrong. Unlike the lorries in operation stack getting fixed penalty parking notices for staying too long in laybys
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Zelot
Gray Pubic

Post by Zelot » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:58 pm

I always enjoy Richard North's take on what is happening http://eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=87846

I was going to buy a unicycle from Italy https://unaruota.com/ZC/index.php?main_ ... 0c0c25ham1 but now realise I should have done it last year when I had the chance :?

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:53 pm

I saw the Percy Pig story and I thought of you: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55583244

Also has something on DPD, and a John Ross director getting pissed off with Boris et al.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:21 pm

tenchboy wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:39 pm
The real outrage, which should only happen in a true state of emergency, is that people require permission to travel within the UK.

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:48 pm

We knew what we were voting for.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:24 am

Big changes in farming. The ban on Neonicotinoid pesticides will be lifted. I'm pretty uncomfortable about this one. Similarly GM, where I'm a bit more relaxed.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:27 am

No border, no checks, just... wave em on through...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/busi ... 84664.html

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:24 pm

plodder wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:24 am
Big changes in farming. The ban on Neonicotinoid pesticides will be lifted. I'm pretty uncomfortable about this one. Similarly GM, where I'm a bit more relaxed.
Ah yes, this must be those higher environmental protections Gove promised us once we were free of those dogmatically laissez-faire Eurocrats.

IIRC there was something about saving polar bears too.