Re: Brexit Consequences

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:07 pm

jimbob wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:45 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:12 pm
plodder wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:24 am
Big changes in farming. The ban on Neonicotinoid pesticides will be lifted. I'm pretty uncomfortable about this one. Similarly GM, where I'm a bit more relaxed.
Looking medium-term, most farming isn't going to be sustainable without EU subsidies and cheap imported labour, and I don't see the Tories replacing either.

So we'll be seeing land abandonment on a massive scale. Obviously rural communities will need a huge amount of support, but in terms of land use it's a huge opportunity for catchment-scale river restoration, peatland restoration (something like 25x more effective as a carbon sink than forest), maybe even a couple of rewilded landscapes (perhaps a National Park or two could be appropriated for conservation/carbon purposes, for example). Plus all those extra trees we need will plant themselves given a few years without ploughing.

Creating cool, interesting bits of countryside with recreational jobs might be the best solution for farming communities anyway. Eagles are huge business in places like Mull - much more profitable than sheep, especially when you factor in that most upland farming is entirely dependent on public money.
As an aside my daughter (geography degree) and my brother (ecologist) have been talking about the Knepp Estate rewilding on WhatsApp, along with some of Dad's former colleagues.

My brother's view is that it would have been better to try to emulate a 17th Century farming regime rather than rewilding as a lot of farms will end up being uneconomic, and recreate lots of the habitats that it's creating anyway, whilst the 17th Century farming regime would create habitats that are now more rare. He says that the ecological impact reports also suggest this.
Hmmmm. Knepp is using heritage breeds of livestock rather than the attempts to "breed back" e.g. aurochs. Low-density grazing and wood pasture very much is traditional farming practice - a lot of commons would have looked like Knepp before enclosure, for instance. I don't think they even use the "rewilding" label to describe what they do.

In any case, abandoned farms won't create Knepp-style habitats without the reintroduction of boar and various grazers, unless current farming stock are just allowed to go feral and wander off, which I think is unlikely.

The big value of Knepp has been a concrete demonstration of what's possible on UK soil, as policymakers were unconvinced by reasoned arguments and demonstrations in places like the Netherlands. The fact that beaver reintroduction is looking hugely likely probably owes a fair bit to Knepp, for instance, even though they haven't actually got any beavers - because they've changed how people think about "rewilding".

It's possible that in a hypothetical future with large-scale farm abandonment and herbivore reintroductions that Knepp-style habitats would become common, and that running a heritage farm would create rarer habitats. But there's plenty of old-fashioned model farms in the UK already, so it wouldn't generate as much interest or attention right now when we need the debate to advance.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:07 pm

DB Schenker, the biggest shipping firm into the UK, is now refusing shipments to the UK, because 90% of them have incomplete paperwork that means delays.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:19 pm

The key is we've got our fish back. They are now British fish, and they are better and happier fish for it.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:27 pm

bmforre wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:29 am
shpalman wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:25 pm
From a committed Brexit Party supporter
"What annoys me is that while we are having to put up with food shortages and disruptions at our ports the EU is not having any problems, how is that fair?"
Remember that THEY need the UK more than the UK needs them.
I have that from authoritative sources.
Y'all know that archer_rs is a spoof account, right? He came to fame in the summer with a scarcely-believable (because fictional) tale of how his Brexit-voting neighbour in France was getting up to all sorts of high jinks, complete with amusing portrayal of mildly-corrupt-in-a-loveable-way French officials and neighbour's idiot son. Then he got called out as the story became more and more implausible and he blocked a few of the people doing the calling out, including me. I read his stuff from another browser window - it's sometimes quite funny but it's really just the Titania McGrath of Remain.
Something something hammer something something nail

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:40 pm

A Polish trucker's experience in Kent. Similar probably happening to others, doubt some will return.

Zelot
Gray Pubic

Post by Zelot » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:43 pm

Government systems don't seem to be helping
https://twitter.com/DanielLambert29/sta ... 87777?s=08

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:37 am

Article in the FT, usual link to get around - 'British business travellers face a bewildering return to the EU'

Business meeting in Europe? Apply for a work permit depending on which country you're going too and demonstrate economic need. It's what we voted for....

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:01 pm

Cheese playing field apparently not level: https://westcountrybylines.co.uk/quadru ... it-whammy/

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:27 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:01 pm
Cheese playing field apparently not level: https://westcountrybylines.co.uk/quadru ... it-whammy/
You need to do it on a hill, otherwise chasing it is a bit boring.

Aoui
Stargoon

Post by Aoui » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:03 am

I think all those Brexit tw.ts should answer for our lack of good British cheese over here in the EU. I bought the last double Gloucester in the expat shop last week. I have one piece of medium cheddar and one half chunk of red leicester. These are not large hunks of cheese. Gouda is fine for a lot of stuff, but sometimes you just need British cheese. Ireland does export some cheddar, but that's about it and they are going to have to scale up quickly. I feel badly for the people who didn't vote for Brexit, but the Brexiteers..may they rot in the hell of their own making....

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:36 am

Aoui wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:03 am
I think all those Brexit tw.ts should answer for our lack of good British cheese over here in the EU. I bought the last double Gloucester in the expat shop last week. I have one piece of medium cheddar and one half chunk of red leicester. These are not large hunks of cheese. Gouda is fine for a lot of stuff, but sometimes you just need British cheese. Ireland does export some cheddar, but that's about it and they are going to have to scale up quickly. I feel badly for the people who didn't vote for Brexit, but the Brexiteers..may they rot in the hell of their own making....
Still ... Blue Stilton.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:41 pm

Aoui wrote:
... Ireland does export some cheddar, but that's about it and they are going to have to scale up quickly. ....
You can't scale up Cheddar production that quickly - doesn't it have to mature for a minimum of 3 months to be called Cheddar? And even so that's piss-weak Cheddar; the proper stuff is at least 18 months matured, and more like 2-3 years.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:00 pm

Doesn't matter because soon you'll be able to get Albanian cheddar as the title won't be covered by EU protection anymore...

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:25 pm

Aoui wrote:
Thoughts and prayers from this US person ;)

We can get some English cheeses here - Colliers and Somerfield are fairly available. Other non-US style cheddars available are Kerrygold (Irish) or Old Croc (Aussie).

Fortunately up at this end of the country, we can get Cabot clothbound cave-aged cheddar fairly easily, which is probably a better example than the Somerfield ones.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:26 pm

veravista wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:00 pm
Doesn't matter because soon you'll be able to get Albanian cheddar as the title won't be covered by EU protection anymore...
Not that it's currently protected (apart from "West Country Cheddar") - so unless the cheddar makers in Vlorë think "we're in the South West, it'll be fine", it'll probably not be an issue.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Nero
Clardic Fug

Post by Nero » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:27 pm

Bugger, I might need to grow a beard.
Attachments
Shave.PNG
Shave.PNG (48.29 KiB) Viewed 2229 times

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:30 pm

veravista wrote:
When I were a lad in the sixties, you could get New Zealand cheddar (mild) and Canadian cheddar (strong). Isn't that what the Brexiteers promised us we'd go back to?

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:05 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:30 pm
veravista wrote:
When I were a lad in the sixties, you could get New Zealand cheddar (mild) and Canadian cheddar (strong). Isn't that what the Brexiteers promised us we'd go back to?
Not to mention USian cheddar (orange), for those who haven't yet had their fill of unpalatable orange travesties from the US.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:03 am

Good article in the FT: "How the Brexit deal was done — and what happens next", mainly about the negotiations last year under Johnson.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:23 am

dyqik wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:25 pm

We can get some English cheeses here - Colliers and Somerfield are fairly available. Other non-US style cheddars available are Kerrygold (Irish) or Old Croc (Aussie).

Fortunately up at this end of the country, we can get Cabot clothbound cave-aged cheddar fairly easily, which is probably a better example than the Somerfield ones.
Some famous and well regarded English cheeses there...

bmforre
Snowbonk

Post by bmforre » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:52 am

I heard on BBC news that Nissan now consider UK location competitive:
"It has created a competitive environment for Sunderland, not just inside the UK but outside as well.

"We've decided to localise the manufacture of the 62kWh battery in Sunderland so that all our products qualify [for tariff-free export to the EU]. We are committed to Sunderland for the long term under the business conditions that have been agreed."
Sounds rather better than what had been feared?

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:08 am

bmforre wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:52 am
I heard on BBC news that Nissan now consider UK location competitive:
"It has created a competitive environment for Sunderland, not just inside the UK but outside as well.

"We've decided to localise the manufacture of the 62kWh battery in Sunderland so that all our products qualify [for tariff-free export to the EU]. We are committed to Sunderland for the long term under the business conditions that have been agreed."
Sounds rather better than what had been feared?
Is this to do with the 11 free ports that are proposed?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:22 pm

plodder wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:23 am
dyqik wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:25 pm

Some famous and well regarded English cheeses there...
Sometimes we can even get that wensleydale with apricots in, and sage Derby.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:26 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:22 pm
wensleydale with apricots in
HERESY!
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:22 pm

Little waster wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:26 pm
dyqik wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:22 pm
wensleydale with apricots in
HERESY!
Who the actual f.ck thought of putting fruit in cheese? And why?
I mean fruit and cheese is perfectly normal.
Time for a big fat one.