Brexit Consequences

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
veravista
Catbabel

Re: Brexit Consequences

Post by veravista » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:13 pm

I jumped out of a plane with no parachute and it was fine, therefore when I jump out of it at 5000ft what could possibly go wrong?

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:42 pm

I'm currently at 850 ft and it's fine so you should be fine at the same altitude.

Anyway, enough with the metaphor.

I've just ordered some tea from Stokes in Lincoln, so we'll see if that ever gets to me and if I'll have to pay any tax or import duty on it.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

malbui
Fuzzable

Post by malbui » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:58 pm

This week at work I've been confronted by a consequence of Brexit that's entirely due to UKGov being a bunch of absolute f.cking pricks. I can't mention any details because none of this is remotely public, but jesus f.cking christ I despise them.
And when it starts to slide
Let it go
Leave it behind

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:35 pm

No Italian wines in Morrisons yesterday.

Could be for any one of a dozen reasons but without anything to go on I'm going with Brexit.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Nickynockynoonoo
Stargoon

Post by Nickynockynoonoo » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:07 pm

Little waster wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:35 pm

Could be for any one of a dozen reasons but without anything to go on I'm going with Brexit.
I ordered a case of wine from Italy, thinking it would take ages to get here. It took 3 weeks from order to delivery, the same as usual. I'd better order more before it has duty slapped on it. That's my excuse :roll:

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:37 am

veravista wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:57 pm
And even better news, BT Sourced (their procurement arm, budget £13bn ish), has announced 70 new jobs. In Dublin.

That's in the UK isn't it?
No, its in Britain... that's what the B in BT stands for obviously! :roll:
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

Rich Scopie
Snowbonk

Post by Rich Scopie » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:51 am

Little waster wrote:

I couldn't find a cabbage - also Morrison's. From where do the supermarkets source cabbages this time of the year? I thought that was something we grew fairly well in this country.
It first was a rumour dismissed as a lie, but then came the evidence none could deny:
a double page spread in the Sunday Express — the Russians are running the DHSS!

nekomatic
Dorkwood

Post by nekomatic » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:29 pm

It is, but who’s picking them?
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:06 am

Rich Scopie wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:51 am
Little waster wrote:

I couldn't find a cabbage - also Morrison's. From where do the supermarkets source cabbages this time of the year? I thought that was something we grew fairly well in this country.
I think during the winter/spring many vegetables in the UK come from places like Spain or even Africa. My cousin used to pick lettuces for McDonalds and spent ~6 months in Lincolnshire and ~6 months in Spain. (I suppose technically he was the gang-master for the Ukrainian & Belarusian pickers.)
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:42 am

All the brassicas are in season here (Majawkah) right now. I got four meals from a huge cauliflower that cost €1.29 last week.
Something something hammer something something nail

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:19 am

TopBadger wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:37 am
veravista wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:57 pm
And even better news, BT Sourced (their procurement arm, budget £13bn ish), has announced 70 new jobs. In Dublin.

That's in the UK isn't it?
No, its in Britain... that's what the B in BT stands for obviously! :roll:
One of the British Isles anyway, the one we like to call Little Britain.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:48 pm

Brexit: 1,000 EU finance firms 'set to open UK offices'. Global Britain, with sunlit uplands? Or just money laundering? Or something else?

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:11 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:48 pm
Brexit: 1,000 EU finance firms 'set to open UK offices'. Global Britain, with sunlit uplands? Or just money laundering? Or something else?
Well I suppose it's a positive Brexit story. Or at least it's not a story of foreign firms abandoning Brexit Britain. It's their recognising that they now need an office here if they want to work here and deciding to do that rather than walk away. So it's an extra cost which, on balance, they have decided to swallow. Hooray, I guess.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:28 am

Lots of dodgy tax jurisdictions on that list - Ireland, Netherlands, Cyprus and Luxembourg all heavily represented.

Now that the EU is clamping down on tax avoidance they need somewhere else to help big corporations and billionaires avoid contributing to society. Looks like the EU is that place.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:36 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:28 am
Lots of dodgy tax jurisdictions on that list - Ireland, Netherlands, Cyprus and Luxembourg all heavily represented.

Now that the EU is clamping down on tax avoidance they need somewhere else to help big corporations and billionaires avoid contributing to society. Looks like the UK is that place.
FIFY
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:49 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:42 pm
I've just ordered some tea from Stokes in Lincoln, so we'll see if that ever gets to me and if I'll have to pay any tax or import duty on it.
It just arrived. No problem.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:41 am

Some posts on the latest developments in Northern Ireland have been split into a new thread
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2243&p=72244#p72244

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:17 pm

The Turing Scheme, the UKs replacement for Erasmus, will be much cheaper. Lower living expenses, travel grant is means tested and no tuition fees.
https://twitter.com/maxfras/status/1368 ... 02208?s=21

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:34 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:17 pm
The Turing Scheme, the UKs replacement for Erasmus, will be much cheaper. Lower living expenses, travel grant is means tested and no tuition fees.
https://twitter.com/maxfras/status/1368 ... 02208?s=21
Apparently not...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... NWOMgXUTyg
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:43 pm

Shocked...? surprised...?

Nope

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:28 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:43 pm
Shocked...? surprised...?

Nope
We all knew what we were voting for, sunny uplands with no downside, cake and unicorns and friendship to all nations.

Or to put it in Mail readers' terms

"my great-uncle didn't spend the Second World War in an internment camp due to his rabidly pro-fascist views just for trivial amounts of my hard-inherited money to be squandered on scientific research and the promotion of international co-operation. Also fish should have passports, blue ones!"
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:48 pm

WARNING: RANT INCLUDING SWEARING AHEAD.

I'm past angry, I am so angry I'm calm. This whole situation is the obvious result of 40 years of the right-wing being on the ascendant. I have never, ever experienced the level of hate and contempt I feel, and it's not even focussed on Johnson, or the Tories. It's everything about the dark side of the human race. That's what we see playing out in Brexit, in capitalism in general. Obviously I hate Johnson the most. I cannot imagine a more contemptible figure - he is an almost perfect embodiment of everything I consider bad about humans.

He's corrupt, narcissistic, lazy, immoral, careless, stupid*/**, greedy, gaudy£... Does that about cover it? And yet, he's simply the frontman for a band made up of all the people nobody could possibly ever like. I nearly called them the Nickelback of politics, but that would be insulting to Nickelback$.

Brexit was economic suicide and the % conservative party is not even trying to revive the corpse. Scotland wants out and I don't blame them one bit as much as I would VASTLY prefer a federation over the union or its breakup.

Today I read a "heartwarming message" from my local mayor or... someone related to that about my town being a freeport. I hope it brings something good to the region but in my heart, I feel like a token government department and an opportunity for rich people not to pay tax is not a fraction of what the region deserves.

The nurses' not-payrise. Never mind how insulting that is, how politically inept, how morally reprehensible - people will still vote for them!

Outrage over an effigy of the despicable oaf hanging from a wall. The only reason for the outrage is they're scared people will get ideas. In Scotland too? What a surprise.

Propoganda, propoganda, propoganda. From the Billionaire ownership of the UK media all the way through to spending money on lying advertorials telling us Brexit is f.cking^ marvellous when it is crushing businesses everywhere. YAYYY we can trade more with some pissy little island 4000 miles away with whose f.cking oil? Yeah, Scotland's oil....

And do not get me started on the systematic dumbing down of education, the Labour party's obvious inability to not be just the Tory party wearing a different colour, the economic oppression of entire swathes of the country and the exploitation and abuse of entire demographics. Seriously. Don't.

Aaaaaand... rest. *Sigh* Sorry bout the rant.&

* Yes, yes he is! Would anybody else make the catastrophic political and humanitarian blunders he's made? I would be surprised if he even achieved a fail in a class! What he does is less than fail. He's unmarkable. He didn't even turn up for the f.cking exam! He attended four minutes of the first lecture and got distracted by a fly, we never saw him again. Someone kept paying his fees though so, whatevs.

** I am not attacking learning difficulties or disabilities - I would never. I am defining stupid here as wilful ignorance and malicious doing-of-the-wrong-thing.

£ In the sense of dressing like a clown in such a way as to distract from his pure, unadulterated*** evil.

*** not ironic, something else that ought to have a word in English.

$ Not that I care.

% you cannot understand the level of revulsion I feel as I type their name. I am procrastinating from typing it as if somehow saying their name would conjure them in the living room. Great. Now I'm going to have nightmares.

^ May as well, I'm on a roll.

& NOT sorry about the subscripts. I worked - therefore I make you work :P

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:28 pm

Oh! don't worry if you skipped all that, I feel so much better now I've got rid of all that pent up rage.

Thanks for either listening or not, I really, really needed it.

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:38 pm

Pretty much echoing my feelings...

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:04 pm

veravista wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:38 pm