The future of the US Republican party

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Re: The future of the US Republican party

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:07 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:50 pm
Don't know about the future, but the current GOP seems intent on reducing your expectations.

https://twitter.com/Sky_Lee_1/status/15 ... 1570096128

The 50 people involved were flown from Florida to Martha's Vineyard by the GOP Governor
Their hope seems to have been to try and show up progressives as hypocritical - they wanted the refugees to be neglected and mistreated on arrival.

However, the reality was quite different. There were so many volunteers to help they had to turn some away. Both individual citizens and church groups mucked in to get people fed and sheltered, and now there's work on getting them legal advice, too.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:17 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:00 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Don't know about the future, but the current GOP seems intent on reducing your expectations.

The 50 people involved were flown from Florida to Martha's Vineyard by the GOP Governor
Reports here are that they were flown from Texas to MV, using Florida taxpayers money.
Ah, interesting; I had heard that "migrants from Texas had been deposited onto the doorstep of the VP", and I wasn't sure whether this was the same story,
I may have been mistaken as to the point of departure, but - y'know - that is pretty much irrelevant...
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:12 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:17 pm
dyqik wrote:
Gfamily wrote:

Reports here are that they were flown from Texas to MV, using Florida taxpayers money.
Ah, interesting; I had heard that "migrants from Texas had been deposited onto the doorstep of the VP", and I wasn't sure whether this was the same story,
I may have been mistaken as to the point of departure, but - y'know - that is pretty much irrelevant...
I may also be confused

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:20 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:12 pm
Gfamily wrote:
dyqik wrote:

I may also be confused
but, rest assured that GOP are spherical shits
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:01 pm

dyqik wrote:
Gfamily wrote:
dyqik wrote:

I may also be confused
They both happened. It's the same story, but with two locations.

Texas and Arizona have been transporting migrants out of their states for a while now (the Feds aren't happy about it, because it f.cks up the processing), it has made the news because it was made into a political stunt this time.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:26 am

Gfamily wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:20 pm
dyqik wrote:
Gfamily wrote:

I may also be confused
but, rest assured that GOP are spherical shits
Fractal spheres of racing greyhound* sh.t.

* The worst smelling sh.t I've ever had to deal with.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:13 am

Gfamily wrote:
dyqik wrote:
Gfamily wrote:

Ah, interesting; I had heard that "migrants from Texas had been deposited onto the doorstep of the VP", and I wasn't sure whether this was the same story
Bussed from Texas.
how sick can we be.jpg
how sick can we be.jpg (57.38 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
Taken off a bus in DC with no advance notice.
Baby was a month old.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ngton-home
Meta? I'd say so!

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:31 pm

I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:57 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:31 pm
There was a fraudulent brochure

https://www.thedailybeast.com/marthas-v ... its-report
Seems to have been a lot of lying and fraud in this one, both in how they treated the migrants, and how they presented it to the media.

Here's a good thread detailing some of the lies.

Al Capone Junior
Clardic Fug

Post by Al Capone Junior » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:03 pm

Gfamily wrote:
dyqik wrote:
Gfamily wrote:

The point of departure may have been (on average) 1000 miles or more of treacherous and terrifying travel on whatever moving objects they could manage or pay to get a ride on. The desperate ppl that actually arrive at the border being the lucky ones.

But it doesn't surprise me at all that these ppl got treated better at Martha's Vinyard than they did in Florida or Texas.

Personally, I can't bring myself to blame them for trying. Getting treated like sh.t at the border may have been a much better prospect than not crossing it illegally.

And let's not forget that much of the troubles of those fleeing north are caused by our policies bleeding south

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:26 am

Worth noting that these poor people we’re actually in the country legally despite GOP efforts to make it seem otherwise
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:40 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:26 am
Worth noting that these poor people we’re actually in the country legally despite GOP efforts to make it seem otherwise
In fact by moving them around, the GOP has probably made it much harder for them to attend the USCIS interviews they had scheduled, and so made it more likely that they will become illegal.