US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Brightonian
Dorkwood

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Brightonian » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:58 pm

This 12-hour curfew starting in a few minutes' time: what are you supposed to do if, say, you're working in an office right now, or shopping in a supermarket? Do you have to stay on the premises until 6 a.m.?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:00 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:58 pm
This 12-hour curfew starting in a few minutes' time: what are you supposed to do if, say, you're working in an office right now, or shopping in a supermarket? Do you have to stay on the premises until 6 a.m.?
It was announced hours ago, so everywhere has had time to close.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:07 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Offices probably would have shut straight away (if they were open), and if it's anything like the curfew we had here, as long as you look like you're heading home and not up to no good, they'll leave you alone. It's there so they can clear the streets of protestors, not normal peeps.

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:10 pm

monkey wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:07 pm
Brightonian wrote:
Offices probably would have shut straight away (if they were open), and if it's anything like the curfew we had here, as long as you look like you're heading home and not up to no good, they'll leave you alone. It's there so they can clear the streets of protestors, not normal peeps.
Yes, this.

My agency got the "go home" email at 3pm. Of course, most of us were already at home teleworking, and my office building had been evacuated for two hours by then anyway.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:12 pm

monkey wrote:
Brightonian wrote:
Offices probably would have shut straight away (if they were open), and if it's anything like the curfew we had here, as long as you look like you're heading home and not up to no good and are white, they'll leave you alone. It's there so they can clear the streets of protestors, not normal peeps.
FIFY
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:16 pm

Twitter breaking out a new disclaimer.

4694CDB3-13D9-4FA0-84FA-6C6278FF6B01.jpeg
4694CDB3-13D9-4FA0-84FA-6C6278FF6B01.jpeg (463.88 KiB) Viewed 2335 times
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:22 pm

Facebook and Youtube have removed Trump's video.

Ladysavage
Sindis Poop

Post by Ladysavage » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:26 pm

It feels like we're about 2/3 the way through a sh.tty action film. Is some white vested hero gonna thwart the baddies soon and get the girl?

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:28 pm

Generally (as far as I can tell) the US has had a policy of not stirring things up when it came to former presidents (e.g. pardoning Nixon, although at least one other died before it became clear how corrupt he was) and ex-presidents have generally kept out of politics after office. In the first case it avoids seeing a precedent whereby the incoming administration is guaranteed to be prosecuting/jailing/ generally making life difficult for those of the outgoing administration.

But Trump surely can't stop himself doing the latter and also, just as surely, his egregious actions mean he can't avoid the former?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:30 pm

bolo wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:10 pm
monkey wrote:
Brightonian wrote:
Yes, this.

My agency got the "go home" email at 3pm. Of course, most of us were already at home teleworking, and my office building had been evacuated for two hours by then anyway.
We just got a Smithsonian wide email about the 6pm curfew, at 6:15pm. I assume the DC staff got one earlier.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:37 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:28 pm
Generally (as far as I can tell) the US has had a policy of not stirring things up when it came to former presidents (e.g. pardoning Nixon, although at least one other died before it became clear how corrupt he was) and ex-presidents have generally kept out of politics after office. In the first case it avoids seeing a precedent whereby the incoming administration is guaranteed to be prosecuting/jailing/ generally making life difficult for those of the outgoing administration.

But Trump surely can't stop himself doing the latter and also, just as surely, his egregious actions mean he can't avoid the former?
Talk of impeachment has started again, again, as well as that of giving congresspeople and senators who have encouraged the mob the boot.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:46 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:

I think we passed the vaguest resemblance of normal conventions and precedence several stops ago, in fact we’ll probably need to Uber it back to even Barking.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:11 am

monkey wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:37 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:

Talk of impeachment has started again, again, as well as that of giving congresspeople and senators who have encouraged the mob the boot.
25th would be quicker initially though? Let’s just allow ourselves the dream that there’s a chance he couldn’t even call himself a single term President.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:14 am

dyqik wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:54 pm
lpm wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:52 pm
Brightonian wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:17 pm

I just watched riot police gently ushering protestors down the steps of the Capitol. I don't think that gentle handling would have happened with BLM protestors.
Hmm. A lot of the twitter left spent months moaning about police violence, but tonight are suddenly upset that the mob isn't being shot and beaten.

The softly softly policing has worked well so far.
Don't be offensively stupid. Twitter is talking about how obvious the bias is, not lamenting the lack of police violence.
Yes, it's more proof of bias, if the various videos of police being chummy with people driving cars into BLM crowds and thanking kid vigilantes for turning up right before they started shooting people wasn't enough.

If police violence has to happen, I'd certainly prefer it to happen to dangerous baddies than people protesting for civil rights. But I'd obviously rather it didn't happen at all. It's actually useful to have high-profile examples of the police peacefully de-escalating a crisis. It's proof that they can do it, so now they just need to afford the same privilege to unarmed black kids.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:48 am

A nice bit of sauce for the goose, lifted from ISF:
Trump tweeted on the 27th July:

"Anarchists, Agitators or Protestors who vandalize or damage our Federal Courthouse in Portland, or any Federal Buildings in any of our Cities or States, will be prosecuted under our recently re-enacted Statues & Monuments Act. MINIMUM TEN YEARS IN PRISON. Don’t do it!"

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:51 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:14 am
dyqik wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:54 pm
lpm wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:52 pm

Hmm. A lot of the twitter left spent months moaning about police violence, but tonight are suddenly upset that the mob isn't being shot and beaten.

The softly softly policing has worked well so far.
Don't be offensively stupid. Twitter is talking about how obvious the bias is, not lamenting the lack of police violence.
Yes, it's more proof of bias, if the various videos of police being chummy with people driving cars into BLM crowds and thanking kid vigilantes for turning up right before they started shooting people wasn't enough.

If police violence has to happen, I'd certainly prefer it to happen to dangerous baddies than people protesting for civil rights. But I'd obviously rather it didn't happen at all. It's actually useful to have high-profile examples of the police peacefully de-escalating a crisis. It's proof that they can do it, so now they just need to afford the same privilege to unarmed black kids.
Going to disagree here. Sometimes there comes a point when action is necessary, and a mob of f.cking neonazis and neoconfederates storming the Capitol is one of those times. Deploy as many people as necessary, and use as much force is necessary - no more - to keep them out of the Capitol, and keep them from harming others in the city. Chances are these fascist scum will break at the first sign of rifle fire.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:52 am

Martin Y wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:48 am
A nice bit of sauce for the goose, lifted from ISF:
Trump tweeted on the 27th July:

"Anarchists, Agitators or Protestors who vandalize or damage our Federal Courthouse in Portland, or any Federal Buildings in any of our Cities or States, will be prosecuted under our recently re-enacted Statues & Monuments Act. MINIMUM TEN YEARS IN PRISON. Don’t do it!"
Bellingcat have been urging that people record streams and scrape videos. The fascists are f.cking broadcasting their crimes, they'll no doubt be taking those videos down when they realise.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:55 am

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:11 am
monkey wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:37 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:

25th would be quicker initially though? Let’s just allow ourselves the dream that there’s a chance he couldn’t even call himself a single term President.
Impeachment can be remarkably fast if the votes are there. Potentially the house could impeach in the morning and the senate convict in the afternoon, but only if the votes are there.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:08 am

Any other year, the next morning you would be buying newspapers to keep a record of the mayhem.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:31 am

Serious credit to the discipline of antifascists etc for not showing up and not giving the fascist scum what they wanted. There's no muddying of the waters here, no doubt as to who did what. Not showing up was entirely the right move, frustrating though it must be.

Squeak
Catbabel

Post by Squeak » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:50 am

Yougov did a snap poll of 1397 registered voters. 62% see today's activities as a threat to democracy. 32% do not.

Armed protesters storming the Capitol while elected representatives count votes is not a threat to democracy. Of course not. Especially when compared to dreadful things like brown people voting. :(

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:56 am

US Cabinet apparently formally discussing invoking the 25th.

I for one welcome President Pence (for 2 weeks).
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:03 am

Some reports that the cabinet is discussing the 25th amendment.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:04 am

Squeak wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:50 am
Yougov did a snap poll of 1397 registered voters. 62% see today's activities as a threat to democracy. 32% do not.

Armed protesters storming the Capitol while elected representatives count votes is not a threat to democracy. Of course not. Especially when compared to dreadful things like brown people voting. :(
To be honest, they were nothing more than a f.cking rabble, they weren't the threat.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:33 am

The dead rioter was a Q Anon addict. Retweeted every mad claim by Lin Wood. Thought today was the day America was delivered from the pedos.

Already a martyr among the Q sphere. Unclear how she was radicalized - she was a long serving USAF vet with husband but no children.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021