US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Post Reply
User avatar
Little waster
Dorkwood
Posts: 1409
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am
Location: About 1 inch behind my eyes

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Little waster » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:26 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:19 pm
So Azar's jumping ship now too, crikey it's getting late for the rats to leave...
Damn it and we were only days away (I assume) from Trump rolling out the long-promised Better-Than-Obamacare at a fraction of the cost with universal coverage including pre-existing conditions.

So close ... :cry:


Still at least it’s Infrastructure Week.
It's meta, so it is allowed.

User avatar
lpm
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2921
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by lpm » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:44 pm

It's interesting that many of the leaders of fascist outfits and far right group have previous convictions - not for violence but for fraud.

They are conmen who know marks when they see them.

For example Randy Bishop, part of the "American Patriot Council" and a county GOP chairman, who has multiple convictions for fraud.

Or Ali Alexander - one of the key organisers of Stop the Steal - the guy who got an approving tweet from the Republican National Committee when he said he was willing to die for the cause. He's got convictions for theft and credit card fraud.

Or Kyle Chapman, the guy who set up the "Fraternal Order of the Alt-Knights" paramilitary wing of Proud Boys and who tried and failed to seize leadership of Proud Boys. He's got convictions for theft and robbery (although he his case he's also got assault convictions).

Loads of rioters were in it for social media respect, but quite a few of them were directly monetising their live broadcasts.

Then you've got Steve Bannon who's been charged with defrauding Trump supporters when they raised funds to build the wall. Paul Manafort was jailed for tax and banking fraud (pardoned by Trump). Michael Cohen was jailed for tax and banking fraud. The Georgia Senators with their insider dealing ("totally exonerated"). Congressman Chris Collins - first to endorse Trump in 2016, later jailed for securities fraud (pardoned by Trump). Congressman Duncan Hunter whose did a bit of campaign funds fraud (pardoned by Trump).

You can also look at who Trump likes to pardon. Manafort, Collins and Hunter as above, plus presumably Bannon will get his in the coming days. Other fraudsters: Dinesh D'Souza, Conrad Black, Pat Nolan, Michael Milken, Charles Kushner, Rod Blagojevich... If you want to guarantee yourself a Trump pardon, commit war crimes and do a bit of fraud.

Then there's the links to paedophilia. It's probably no coincidence that so many Trump devotees are paedophiles or obsessed with fighting paedophiles.
What ever happened to that Trump guy, you know, the one who was president for a bit?

User avatar
lpm
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2921
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by lpm » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:14 pm

140,000 photos taken by rioters inside the Capitol. First time ever that selfies will be the main evidence presented by the prosecution?
What ever happened to that Trump guy, you know, the one who was president for a bit?

User avatar
dyqik
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3581
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by dyqik » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:59 pm

Are we being a bit premature by labeling this thread as though it'll be the only insurrection at the/a capitol in 2021?

Most of the state houses are called capitols as well...

User avatar
lpm
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2921
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by lpm » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:37 pm

We always prepare to fight the last war. The Capitols will be alright. It will be something else - easier targets for rage.
What ever happened to that Trump guy, you know, the one who was president for a bit?

Herainestold
Catbabel
Posts: 820
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Herainestold » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:39 pm

dyqik wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:59 pm
Are we being a bit premature by labeling this thread as though it'll be the only insurrection at the/a capitol in 2021?

Most of the state houses are called capitols as well...
Fair point. Should be "US 2021 Capitol Insurrection v01"

User avatar
Stranger Mouse
Fuzzable
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:53 pm

lpm wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:37 pm
We always prepare to fight the last war. The Capitols will be alright. It will be something else - easier targets for rage.
I have a crush on Jocelyn Benson - I hope they don’t hurt her
A caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

User avatar
Stranger Mouse
Fuzzable
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:02 pm

Bad news for enthusiastic traitor Josh Hawley - looks like his unsuccessful attempt to commandeer Trump’s MAGA base isn’t going according to plan. Fundraiser down the drain.

https://twitter.com/loews_hotels/status ... 78564?s=21
A caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

User avatar
dyqik
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3581
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by dyqik » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:17 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:02 pm
Bad news for enthusiastic traitor Josh Hawley - looks like his unsuccessful attempt to commandeer Trump’s MAGA base isn’t going according to plan. Fundraiser down the drain.

https://twitter.com/loews_hotels/status ... 78564?s=21
He claims he's going to move it, as nothing can stop him reaching new Loews.

User avatar
jimbob
After Pie
Posts: 2351
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by jimbob » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:05 pm

The self-proclaimed "Antifa activist" who was in the Capitol "Jayden X" is very iffy.

https://twitter.com/RebellionBaby/statu ... 95361?s=20

He has lots of links to rightwingers


Whole thread is worth it
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
Stranger Mouse
Fuzzable
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:17 pm

Amazing video timeline resource by Propublica here

https://projects.propublica.org/parler-capitol-videos/
A caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

User avatar
Stranger Mouse
Fuzzable
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:21 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:17 pm
Amazing video timeline resource by Propublica here

https://projects.propublica.org/parler-capitol-videos/
More info on the resource here https://www.propublica.org/article/insi ... eos-reveal
A caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

Chris Preston
Clardic Fug
Posts: 229
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:05 am

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Chris Preston » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:50 pm

Records reveal Trump allies behind rally that ignited Capitol riot
Members of President Donald Trump’s failed presidential campaign played key roles in orchestrating the Washington rally that spawned a deadly assault on the US Capitol, according to a review of records, undercutting claims the event was the brainchild of the President's grassroots supporters.
Here grows much rhubarb.

User avatar
bjn
Dorkwood
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:58 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by bjn » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:47 pm

Chris Preston wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:50 pm
Records reveal Trump allies behind rally that ignited Capitol riot
Members of President Donald Trump’s failed presidential campaign played key roles in orchestrating the Washington rally that spawned a deadly assault on the US Capitol, according to a review of records, undercutting claims the event was the brainchild of the President's grassroots supporters.
Organising a rally per-se isn't illegal, so unless they have evidence that there was a plan by those folks to turn it violent, or acted to turn it violent, they probably won't face consequences. Now Trump did do the second and should be thrown into gaol, we shall see if that happens.

User avatar
Stranger Mouse
Fuzzable
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Stranger Mouse » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:10 am

bjn wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:47 pm
Chris Preston wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:50 pm
Records reveal Trump allies behind rally that ignited Capitol riot
Members of President Donald Trump’s failed presidential campaign played key roles in orchestrating the Washington rally that spawned a deadly assault on the US Capitol, according to a review of records, undercutting claims the event was the brainchild of the President's grassroots supporters.
Organising a rally per-se isn't illegal, so unless they have evidence that there was a plan by those folks to turn it violent, or acted to turn it violent, they probably won't face consequences. Now Trump did do the second and should be thrown into gaol, we shall see if that happens.
Yeah I’ve noticed a lot of people act as if just backing the rally is illegal (arranging buses etc). It may look bad but it’s also fully allowed under the First Ammendment.
A caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

Herainestold
Catbabel
Posts: 820
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Herainestold » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:30 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:10 am
bjn wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:47 pm
Organising a rally per-se isn't illegal, so unless they have evidence that there was a plan by those folks to turn it violent, or acted to turn it violent, they probably won't face consequences. Now Trump did do the second and should be thrown into gaol, we shall see if that happens.
Yeah I’ve noticed a lot of people act as if just backing the rally is illegal (arranging buses etc). It may look bad but it’s also fully allowed under the First Ammendment.
The rally was perfectly legal, they had permits for it.

It was storming the Capitol that they had neglected to procure a permit.

User avatar
Stranger Mouse
Fuzzable
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Stranger Mouse » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:32 pm

Herainestold wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:30 pm
Stranger Mouse wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:10 am
bjn wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:47 pm


Organising a rally per-se isn't illegal, so unless they have evidence that there was a plan by those folks to turn it violent, or acted to turn it violent, they probably won't face consequences. Now Trump did do the second and should be thrown into gaol, we shall see if that happens.
Yeah I’ve noticed a lot of people act as if just backing the rally is illegal (arranging buses etc). It may look bad but it’s also fully allowed under the First Ammendment.
The rally was perfectly legal, they had permits for it.

It was storming the Capitol that they had neglected to procure a permit.
It will be interesting to see the charges for those who went through desks and photographed documents. Perhaps espionage charges of some kind?
A caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

User avatar
dyqik
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3581
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by dyqik » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:33 pm

One is being accused of stealing a laptop with the specific aim of selling it to Russia.

User avatar
Stranger Mouse
Fuzzable
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Stranger Mouse » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:37 pm

dyqik wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:33 pm
One is being accused of stealing a laptop with the specific aim of selling it to Russia.
Yeah - not exactly Black Widow or Red Sparrow

https://twitter.com/mikesington/status/ ... 23905?s=21
71924E57-FE7F-48E6-ADC8-8A148B5CF2C8.jpeg
71924E57-FE7F-48E6-ADC8-8A148B5CF2C8.jpeg (17.5 KiB) Viewed 548 times
24E7298E-5FD8-4906-962B-DB1763DF35E6.jpeg
24E7298E-5FD8-4906-962B-DB1763DF35E6.jpeg (71.47 KiB) Viewed 548 times
Eta https://www.npr.org/sections/insurrecti ... sis-laptop
A caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood
Posts: 1009
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:50 pm

On one of them:
Betancur had been wearing a GPS monitor in connection with a previous probation violation, authorities said, and location data referenced in a charging document against him shows his presence in restricted areas of the Capitol grounds.
Wow that is new levels of stable genius.

User avatar
Stranger Mouse
Fuzzable
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Stranger Mouse » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:19 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:50 pm
On one of them:
Betancur had been wearing a GPS monitor in connection with a previous probation violation, authorities said, and location data referenced in a charging document against him shows his presence in restricted areas of the Capitol grounds.
Wow that is new levels of stable genius.
More than one apparently. I wonder what proportion of the whole group had criminal records.
A caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

User avatar
jimbob
After Pie
Posts: 2351
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by jimbob » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:18 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:50 pm
On one of them:
Betancur had been wearing a GPS monitor in connection with a previous probation violation, authorities said, and location data referenced in a charging document against him shows his presence in restricted areas of the Capitol grounds.
Wow that is new levels of stable genius.

https://www.cbs58.com/news/army-reservi ... pitol-riot

As well as carrying that story, it also carries this
(CNN) -- An Army reservist who federal investigators say has secret-level security clearance and a long record of posting his extremist views online was among the latest wave of rioters charged by federal prosecutors in connection with the January 6 Capitol insurrection.

Because it was obviously fine for him to have had security clearance before now
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
Stranger Mouse
Fuzzable
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Stranger Mouse » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:45 pm

I hope they manage to remover Trump's security clearance which he doesn't lose automatically
A caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood
Posts: 1009
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:43 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:45 pm
I hope they manage to remover Trump's security clearance which he doesn't lose automatically
From what I've read they going with a need-to-know basis and definitively deciding that Trump doesn't need to know - or everyone will...

Alternatively they could just feed him fake intel and watch who responds to it.

User avatar
bjn
Dorkwood
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:58 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by bjn » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:06 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:10 am
bjn wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:47 pm
Organising a rally per-se isn't illegal, so unless they have evidence that there was a plan by those folks to turn it violent, or acted to turn it violent, they probably won't face consequences. Now Trump did do the second and should be thrown into gaol, we shall see if that happens.
Yeah I’ve noticed a lot of people act as if just backing the rally is illegal (arranging buses etc). It may look bad but it’s also fully allowed under the First Ammendment.
Backing the rally still makes you a delusional fool at best or a cynical a..eh.le at worst, but neither of those are illegal.

Post Reply