US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Post Reply
User avatar
Stranger Mouse
After Pie
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Stranger Mouse » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:39 pm

Is you taking notes on a criminal f.cking conspiracy?

https://twitter.com/mattgertz/status/15 ... EMVIIiDyDw
9F32B37A-3A75-4B37-A687-40388AE30E89.png
9F32B37A-3A75-4B37-A687-40388AE30E89.png (70.85 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW
Posts: 9623
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:59 pm

Man, having Trump as president really emboldened dipshits.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

User avatar
tenchboy
Dorkwood
Posts: 1428
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:18 pm
Location: Down amongst the potamogeton.

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by tenchboy » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:58 am

used british english 'alternative' rather than merkin english 'alternate': obvious fake by someone on this side of the water (or from here over there) (or maybe Wilenchick is from over here) (or maybe

Interesting use of british english 'alternative' rather than merkin english 'alternate'

User avatar
Stranger Mouse
After Pie
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Stranger Mouse » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:42 am

tenchboy wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:58 am
used british english 'alternative' rather than merkin english 'alternate': obvious fake by someone on this side of the water (or from here over there) (or maybe Wilenchick is from over here) (or maybe

Interesting use of british english 'alternative' rather than merkin english 'alternate'
Maybe he’s just not very good https://www.newsweek.com/cyber-ninjas-a ... id-1663824
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

User avatar
Stranger Mouse
After Pie
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Stranger Mouse » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:51 pm

Fantastic interview. “I was swept along by people pushing in the crowd until I found myself in the building” https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/stat ... 2s4HXCdSrQ
A296A85A-80B7-4069-BB24-6153A9ABD620.jpeg
A296A85A-80B7-4069-BB24-6153A9ABD620.jpeg (111.2 KiB) Viewed 925 times
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 5717
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by dyqik » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:49 pm

It's not clear whether this is J6th or stealing secret documents related yet, but it seems the FBI raided Mar-A-Lago with a warrant to search Trump's safe.

User avatar
Grumble
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3556
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Grumble » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:58 am

dyqik wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:49 pm
It's not clear whether this is J6th or stealing secret documents related yet, but it seems the FBI raided Mar-A-Lago with a warrant to search Trump's safe.
Destroying presidential documents could be relatively easy to prove and bar him from office. Fingers crossed.
A bit churlish

User avatar
Stranger Mouse
After Pie
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Stranger Mouse » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:25 am

Grumble wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:58 am
dyqik wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:49 pm
It's not clear whether this is J6th or stealing secret documents related yet, but it seems the FBI raided Mar-A-Lago with a warrant to search Trump's safe.
Destroying presidential documents could be relatively easy to prove and bar him from office. Fingers crossed.
Read this Popehat thread from the top but this got my attention. Worth noting Popehat nearly always plays this stuff down

https://twitter.com/popehat/status/1556 ... XnSeJPUnSA
I keep coming back to this: based on the stuff they HAVEN'T gone after, either this is the greatest overplayed hand ever or there is something very dramatic we don't know about.
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

User avatar
Woodchopper
Light of Blast
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:49 am

Grumble wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:58 am
dyqik wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:49 pm
It's not clear whether this is J6th or stealing secret documents related yet, but it seems the FBI raided Mar-A-Lago with a warrant to search Trump's safe.
Destroying presidential documents could be relatively easy to prove and bar him from office. Fingers crossed.
I don’t think that’s correct. As far as I know the only legal impediments to becoming president are being under 35, not being a natural born citizen, not having lived in the US for 14 years, having been impeached, or having been found guilty of rebellion.

I doubt that removing documents would prevent Trump politically. The MAGA crowd wouldn’t care.


User avatar
Woodchopper
Light of Blast
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:56 am

It seems to be a matter of some debate:
Because Mr. Trump is widely believed to be preparing to run for president again in 2024, that unusual penalty raised the prospect that he might be legally barred from returning to the White House.

Specifically, the law in question — Section 2071 of Title 18 of the United States Code — makes it a crime if someone who has custody of government documents or records “willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, falsifies or destroys” them.

If convicted, defendants can be fined or sentenced to prison for up to three years. In addition, the statute says, if they are currently in a federal office, they “shall forfeit” that office, and they shall “be disqualified from holding any office under the United States.”

On its face, then, if Mr. Trump were to be charged and convicted of removing, concealing or destroying government records under that law, he would seem to be ineligible to become president again.

But there was reason for caution: The law briefly received a close look in 2015, after it came to light that Hillary Clinton, then widely anticipated to be the 2016 Democratic presidential nominee, had used a private email server to conduct government business while secretary of state.

Some Republicans were briefly entranced with whether the law could keep Mrs. Clinton out of the White House, including Michael Mukasey, a former attorney general in the administration of George W. Bush. So was at least one conservative think tank.

But in considering that situation, several legal scholars — including Seth B. Tillman of Maynouth University in Ireland and Eugene Volokh of the University of California, Los Angeles — noted that the Constitution sets eligibility criteria for who can be president, and argued that Supreme Court rulings suggest Congress cannot alter them. The Constitution allows Congress to disqualify people from holding office in impeachment proceedings, but grants no such power for ordinary criminal law.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/08/us/p ... l-law.html

User avatar
tenchboy
Dorkwood
Posts: 1428
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:18 pm
Location: Down amongst the potamogeton.

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by tenchboy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:34 am

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:25 am


Read this Popehat thread from the top but this got my attention. Worth noting Popehat nearly always plays this stuff down

https://twitter.com/popehat/status/1556 ... XnSeJPUnSA

The warrant that is linked to on yer own linky there mentions financial papers and tax returns of paul mannafort items connected with cypriot bank accounts records of june 9th 2016 meeting at trump tower evidence of manaforts state of mind
etc

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW
Posts: 9623
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:23 pm

Incredible when you think about it. Not only is the FBI raiding a former president's property, we don't even know which of his many crimes it's for.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

User avatar
Little waster
After Pie
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am
Location: About 1 inch behind my eyes

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Little waster » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:24 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:23 pm
Incredible when you think about it. Not only is the FBI raiding a former president's property, we don't even know which of his many crimes it's for.
There’s just so many options on my bingo card.

I think I’m going with a banker of “fraudulently claiming hush-money paid to sex workers as legitimate business expenses” permed with “distributing naked images of Alex Jones wife without consent” and “giving nuclear codes to known FSB operatives in exchange for a family-sized bucket of fried chicken products” and a wild-card of “illegal possession of endangered animal organs for the ineffective treatment of sexual dysfunction”.

TBF nothing and we mean nothing is off the table here.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

User avatar
Stranger Mouse
After Pie
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Stranger Mouse » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:47 pm

Little waster wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:24 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:23 pm
Incredible when you think about it. Not only is the FBI raiding a former president's property, we don't even know which of his many crimes it's for.
There’s just so many options on my bingo card.

I think I’m going with a banker of “fraudulently claiming hush-money paid to sex workers as legitimate business expenses” permed with “distributing naked images of Alex Jones wife without consent” and “giving nuclear codes to known FSB operatives in exchange for a family-sized bucket of fried chicken products” and a wild-card of “illegal possession of endangered animal organs for the ineffective treatment of sexual dysfunction”.

TBF nothing and we mean nothing is off the table here.
If he’s worried he can always take his mind off the situation by thinking about how an appeals court has just granted the Ways And Means Committee access to his tax returns. https://twitter.com/cnnpolitics/status/ ... JxGaH6Qbvg
3D71B840-5029-4271-9906-C1316BF8C6FE.jpeg
3D71B840-5029-4271-9906-C1316BF8C6FE.jpeg (125.15 KiB) Viewed 589 times
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 5717
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by dyqik » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:45 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:23 pm
Incredible when you think about it. Not only is the FBI raiding a former president's property, we don't even know which of his many crimes it's for.
Meanwhile, the GOPs position is "imagine, if they can get warrants to search a billionaire* former President's house, they could get a warrant to search your house!"

User avatar
EACLucifer
After Pie
Posts: 2419
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:49 am
Location: Behind you

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by EACLucifer » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:33 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:45 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:23 pm
Incredible when you think about it. Not only is the FBI raiding a former president's property, we don't even know which of his many crimes it's for.
Meanwhile, the GOPs position is "imagine, if they can get warrants to search a billionaire* former President's house, they could get a warrant to search your house!"
I believe this ideal is called nobody being above the law.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW
Posts: 9623
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:43 pm

Obviously trump didn't have enough guns to defend himself from federal government overreach.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

monkey
Dorkwood
Posts: 1390
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by monkey » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:51 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:45 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:23 pm
Incredible when you think about it. Not only is the FBI raiding a former president's property, we don't even know which of his many crimes it's for.
Meanwhile, the GOPs position is "imagine, if they can get warrants to search a billionaire* former President's house, they could get a warrant to search your house!"
I better start shredding them classified documents I stole after being President that one time.

I can't tell if they are grifting by scaring people into donating money, or they actually think they are above the law. I am assuming both until proven otherwise.

WFJ
Snowbonk
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:54 am

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by WFJ » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:05 pm

I'm struggling to understand what he would keep and why. Something that could be used as blackmail material?

User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 5717
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by dyqik » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:38 pm

WFJ wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:05 pm
I'm struggling to understand what he would keep and why. Something that could be used as blackmail material?
It's known that he took classified documents that he did not declassify while in office.

Quite possibly it includes documents describing his own actions - e.g. that several hour chat with Putin.

monkey
Dorkwood
Posts: 1390
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by monkey » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:42 pm

WFJ wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:05 pm
I'm struggling to understand what he would keep and why. Something that could be used as blackmail material?
I reckon The White House knows an awful lot of things that might be useful to someone who claims to be a billionaire.

But I wouldn't discount him simply being a spoilt man child who kept things just because he thought they were his.

WFJ
Snowbonk
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:54 am

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by WFJ » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:48 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:38 pm
WFJ wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:05 pm
I'm struggling to understand what he would keep and why. Something that could be used as blackmail material?
It's known that he took classified documents that he did not declassify while in office.

Quite possibly it includes documents describing his own actions - e.g. that several hour chat with Putin.
I know Trump isn't the smartest guy, but if he wanted to hide something incriminating or embarrassing why keep it in a safe at his house rather than burning it.

monkey
Dorkwood
Posts: 1390
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by monkey » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:52 pm

Or flush it down the toilet.


Edit: Actually, there's probably pictures because he didn't flush.

User avatar
EACLucifer
After Pie
Posts: 2419
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:49 am
Location: Behind you

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by EACLucifer » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:56 pm

monkey wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:52 pm
Or flush it down the toilet.


Edit: Actually, there's probably pictures because he didn't flush.
There are reportedly pictures of exactly that.

I can't attest to their authenticity, though, being too busy with war monitoring, an adolescent cat, and back spasms.

Post Reply