US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
dyqik
Stummy Beige

Re: US 2021 Capitol insurrection

Post by dyqik » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:41 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:39 pm
Lots of places have already defunded their police forces to invest in social care https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcev ... partments/

But so far it's a grass-roots bottom-up effort (and I've not seen any analysis of the correlation with police union membership/strength). I don't see the current administration doing much to improve social care in communities, and so far all their police 'reform' proposals are just more of the same treading-lightly three-training-course-on-how-not-to-execute-black-people-but-no-consequences-if-you-do time-wasting that's been such a roaring success (for US racists). But that's because they're not interested in doing anything, not because they couldn't take on the unions if they needed to.
At the national level, the only major thing that the Biden administration can do is via the Justice Department enforcing existing national laws - they have no real role in policing, except national organizations like FBI, ATF, etc. which are largely irrelevant to this. Congress can additionally stop funding transfers of military hardware and stuff like that, but that takes legislative time. And the Justice Dept. can't really start doing stuff until the Senate gets round to confirming an attorney general, which Lindsay Graham is currently blocking.

Most of the defund the police action has to be at state or local levels, and that's going to look more like the grassroots efforts you are talking about. The MA effort was bouncing back and forth between the R governor and the D legislature last I head. The Boston city effort was going more strongly, but the mayor is in the process of being confirmed as Biden's Secretary of Labor.

dyqik
Stummy Beige

Post by dyqik » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:58 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:41 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:39 pm
Lots of places have already defunded their police forces to invest in social care https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcev ... partments/

But so far it's a grass-roots bottom-up effort (and I've not seen any analysis of the correlation with police union membership/strength). I don't see the current administration doing much to improve social care in communities, and so far all their police 'reform' proposals are just more of the same treading-lightly three-training-course-on-how-not-to-execute-black-people-but-no-consequences-if-you-do time-wasting that's been such a roaring success (for US racists). But that's because they're not interested in doing anything, not because they couldn't take on the unions if they needed to.
At the national level, the only major thing that the Biden administration can do is via the Justice Department enforcing existing national laws - they have no real role in policing, except national organizations like FBI, ATF, etc. which are largely irrelevant to this. Congress can additionally stop funding transfers of military hardware and stuff like that, but that takes legislative time. And the Justice Dept. can't really start doing stuff until the Senate gets round to confirming an attorney general, which Lindsay Graham is currently blocking.

Most of the defund the police action has to be at state or local levels, and that's going to look more like the grassroots efforts you are talking about. The MA effort was bouncing back and forth between the R governor and the D legislature last I head. The Boston city effort was going more strongly, but the mayor is in the process of being confirmed as Biden's Secretary of Labor.
(I'm counting ICE as separate issue to this, btw.)

Bird on a Fire
Light of Blast

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:15 pm

The fact that killer cops are almost never subject to appropriate criminal consequences for their actions is kinda the point, though.

For instance, they're talking about banning chokeholds federally. Great. But the cop who killed Eric Garner did so with a banned chokehold, and never faced any criminal proceedings. It took 5 years just to fire the c.nt. There's no point banning stuff if you're not also forcing districts to enforce those bans, or make breaking them a federal offence. There is a general need to stop cops being above the law.

I know the Republicans will block loads of useful ideas, even though 50% of their voters want an overhaul of policing. Those mendacious wastes of skin are going to hold everything up. But after the huge effort of black activists to help secure Biden's election it would be really super to see him at least trying to make the kinds of changes those activists have been calling for loudly since last summer, or at least talk frankly about why there's no point trying.

But yes, I do appreciate that one of the reasons US police still act like it's the 1960s is because the regulation of policing is so fragmented it has a huge amount of in-built inertia. I hope the grassroots changes continue, but it would be nice to see more acknowledgement of it and dialogue from the top down. BLM were saying a while back that they've been trying to meet with the administration and keep being ignored, for instance. I'm not saying BLM activists should necessarily be setting the legislative agenda, but I do think they should be included in the conversation.
He has the grace of a swan, the wisdom of an owl, and the eye of an eagle—ladies and gentlemen, this man is for the birds!

dyqik
Stummy Beige

Post by dyqik » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:30 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:15 pm
The fact that killer cops are almost never subject to appropriate criminal consequences for their actions is kinda the point, though.

For instance, they're talking about banning chokeholds federally. Great. But the cop who killed Eric Garner did so with a banned chokehold, and never faced any criminal proceedings. It took 5 years just to fire the c.nt. There's no point banning stuff if you're not also forcing districts to enforce those bans, or make breaking them a federal offence. There is a general need to stop cops being above the law.
This enforcement is the Justice Department's job. Hopefully there are enough people left there that know what they are doing to make changes happen.

FlammableFlower
Catbabel

Post by FlammableFlower » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:05 pm

Bloke texted his ex-girlfriend from inside the Capitol during the insurrection to call her a moron. She turned him in and he's now facing up to 20 years inside...