You know that time Toby Young set up a Uni Society to defend free speech...

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Post Reply
User avatar
Little waster
Dorkwood
Posts: 1188
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am
Location: About 1 inch behind my eyes

You know that time Toby Young set up a Uni Society to defend free speech...

Post by Little waster » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:36 pm

... it turned out exactly how you would expect.

There really should be some sort of pithy phrase to sum up the process of insisting that all stated opinions correctly comply with some accepted political position.
People who use Godwin's Law are worse than Hitler.

FlammableFlower
Catbabel
Posts: 893
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Re: You know that time Toby Young set up a Uni Society to defend free speech...

Post by FlammableFlower » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:47 pm

Was reading that this morning. He is a complete arse.

User avatar
bjn
Catbabel
Posts: 934
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:58 pm

Re: You know that time Toby Young set up a Uni Society to defend free speech...

Post by bjn » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:19 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:47 pm
Was reading that this morning. He is a complete arse.
To quote a lovely friend of mine who actually knows him, “Toby Young? He’s a tw.t!”

User avatar
Vertigowooyay
Fuzzable
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:25 pm

Re: You know that time Toby Young set up a Uni Society to defend free speech...

Post by Vertigowooyay » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:51 am

bjn wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:19 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:47 pm
Was reading that this morning. He is a complete arse.
To quote a lovely friend of mine who actually knows him, “Toby Young? He’s a tw.t!”
Yup. He is. We had him on a show I worked on many years ago (when his and Burchill's shitrag Modern Review was being published) and he was simply a deeply unpleasant, arrogant, entitled tw.t.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Light of Blast
Posts: 4801
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: nadir of brie

Re: You know that time Toby Young set up a Uni Society to defend free speech...

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:23 pm

Even the logo they've managed to come up with looks super low-rent fash.
THINK BIG AND UPEND THE SYSTEM

#ShowYourStripes

User avatar
tenchboy
Catbabel
Posts: 637
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:18 pm
Location: Down amongst the potamogeton.

Re: You know that time Toby Young set up a Uni Society to defend free speech...

Post by tenchboy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:27 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:23 pm
Even the logo they've managed to come up with looks super low-rent fash.
TRB.

User avatar
tenchboy
Catbabel
Posts: 637
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:18 pm
Location: Down amongst the potamogeton.

Re: You know that time Toby Young set up a Uni Society to defend free speech...

Post by tenchboy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:31 pm

TRB... he said jokingly.
Turns out it's not far off a steal


User avatar
Little waster
Dorkwood
Posts: 1188
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am
Location: About 1 inch behind my eyes

Re: You know that time Toby Young set up a Uni Society to defend free speech...

Post by Little waster » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:49 pm

Toby has deleted all his tweets from 2020
There is something very 2020 about such a supposed staunch defender of free speech self-censoring himself in a desparately futile attempt to stop people reading all the f.ck-witted things he said.

He really is sh.t at this.
People who use Godwin's Law are worse than Hitler.

User avatar
Gfamily
After Pie
Posts: 2069
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm
Location: NW England

Re: You know that time Toby Young set up a Uni Society to defend free speech...

Post by Gfamily » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:04 pm

Little waster wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:49 pm
Toby has deleted all his tweets from 2020
There is something very 2020 about such a supposed staunch defender of free speech self-censoring himself in a desparately futile attempt to stop people reading all the f.ck-witted things he said.

He really is sh.t at this.
Like the people who block critics, he's silencing himself, one tweet at a time.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

plodder
Dorkwood
Posts: 1059
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Re: You know that time Toby Young set up a Uni Society to defend free speech...

Post by plodder » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:32 pm

What a f.cking c.nt, honestly. The f.cking state of it.

User avatar
jimbob
After Pie
Posts: 2067
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: You know that time Toby Young set up a Uni Society to defend free speech...

Post by jimbob » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:55 pm

Little waster wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:49 pm
Toby has deleted all his tweets from 2020
There is something very 2020 about such a supposed staunch defender of free speech self-censoring himself in a desparately futile attempt to stop people reading all the f.ck-witted things he said.

He really is sh.t at this.
https://mobile.twitter.com/parkinjim/st ... 47/photo/1
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
Little waster
Dorkwood
Posts: 1188
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am
Location: About 1 inch behind my eyes

Re: You know that time Toby Young set up a Uni Society to defend free speech...

Post by Little waster » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:17 am

jimbob wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:55 pm
Little waster wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:49 pm
Toby has deleted all his tweets from 2020
There is something very 2020 about such a supposed staunch defender of free speech self-censoring himself in a desparately futile attempt to stop people reading all the f.ck-witted things he said.

He really is sh.t at this.
https://mobile.twitter.com/parkinjim/st ... 47/photo/1
Ah but:-
An utter f.ck-knuckle wrote:Yes, lockdown sceptics have got some things wrong, but I think we've provided an important counterweight to the largely one-sided reporting of the broadcast media, particularly the BBC.
In much the same way that in the event of a fire in a crowded building it is vitally important to have the counterweight of someone going around saying:-

"stay put the fire is a hoax, the alarms are just a drill ignore them, there's no evidence fire-extinguishers work so don't use them, doesn't this building catch fire every year, that's not a burn it's a rash, do you know we are all probably immune to fire by now, I'm merely exercising my god-given liberty to padlock my bike across fire escape doors, firemen are all in the pay of Big Hose, water is a liquid and puts out fires, petrol is a liquid which looks like water, therefore my retired engineer friend thinks scientifically pouring petrol on the flames will put them out, how dare you tell me to shut up, you're infringing my free speech, if you open your mouth one more time I'll sue you!"

TBF those 86k dead Brits weren't going to kill themselves.
People who use Godwin's Law are worse than Hitler.

Post Reply