Portugal 2021 Presidential Elections

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Portugal 2021 Presidential Elections

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:58 am

These are coming up in a couple of weeks. I can't vote in them (nor indeed in any Portuguese elections any more #brexitbonus), but I will be following them with interest.

There's a fun narrative this year, with a far-right populist outsider sneaking along in the polls. (There's also the boring reality that the guy who is currently the president will almost certainly continue to be the president)

So follow this thread for candidate profiles, polling updates, gossip, memes etc.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

dyqik
Princess POW

Re: Portugal 2021 Presidential Elections

Post by dyqik » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:19 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:58 am
These are coming up in a couple of weeks. I can't vote in them (nor indeed in any Portuguese elections any more #brexitbonus), but I will be following them with interest.

There's a fun narrative this year, with a far-right populist outsider sneaking along in the polls. (There's also the boring reality that the guy who is currently the president will almost certainly continue to be the president)

So follow this thread for candidate profiles, polling updates, gossip, memes etc.
I look forward to the threads about legal efforts, insurrection, impeachment, etc. to do with this election...

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:57 pm

I am interested in this btw.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:08 pm

I've been meaning to do a bit of a writeup since last week, but I've got to finish an MS draft first ;)

It's sort-of interesting, sort-of not, in that it's pretty obvious who's going to win, but the big battle is for second place: will it be the centre-left or far-right? It's incredibly close in the polls, and there's almost certainly a "shy fascist" effect as we see elsewhere seeing as Ventura is widely repudiated. But OTOH support for the incumbent is high enough that it probably won't even go to a runoff.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:53 pm

Just don't vote for the right-winger, guys.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.