What if QAnon had been right about everything?

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

What if QAnon had been right about everything?

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:19 pm

Like if, during the inauguration, they'd locked the doors and arrested all the Democrats and taken them to a military base and court martialed them for satanic paedophilia or whatever, how would you have reacted?

Like, obviously "surprised."

But I mean, it would be such a deep shock to my worldview and to how I process evidence and so on, I wouldn't know where to start the next day.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: What if QAnon had been right about everything?

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:20 pm

Presumably there's a lot of QAnoners going through all this right now, with the added difficulty of all being on crack.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:33 pm

I'd have been in my car, heading for the Canadian border to join the queue early.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:44 pm

dyqik wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:33 pm
I'd have been in my car, heading for the Canadian border to join the Q early.
FTFY

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:45 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:20 pm
Presumably there's a lot of QAnoners going through all this right now, with the added difficulty of all being on crack.
Meth, no crack.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:50 pm

bjn wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:45 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Meth, no crack.
Probably true, but there was a Scrutable meme about their being on crack and I was just trying to fit in with the cool kids GOD BJN YOUR SO EMBARRASSING

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:57 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:50 pm
bjn wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Meth, no crack.
Probably true, but there was a Scrutable meme about their being on crack and I was just trying to fit in with the cool kids GOD BJN YOUR SO EMBARRASSING
My work here is done. I can now depart this forum with a true sense of having contributed to the fullness of human experience with this one selfless act of mine.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:59 pm

Nooooo don't go! You can embarrass me so much more!

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:09 pm

I’ve often tried to imagine my reaction to finding out ghosts exist or homeopathy works and I have no idea.

I can’t imagine Qanon is going away but will be fascinated to see how it is going to mutate
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:17 pm

They'll probably decide it's all part of Putin's Trump's cunning plan to lull the commie mutant traitor Democrats into a false sense of security.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:50 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:09 pm
I’ve often tried to imagine my reaction to finding out ghosts exist or homeopathy works and I have no idea.

I can’t imagine Qanon is going away but will be fascinated to see how it is going to mutate
Homeopathy is easy, tbh. It's a "huh, that's weird, isn't biology/chemistry/liquid state quantum physics stuff complicated" matter. There's no real fundamental issue with it, except that chemistry and physics doesn't work that way.

Ghosts are a little weirder, but again, not absolutely crazy from fundamental principles.

QAnon, otoh, violates all common sense of human interactions, and is self contradictory where it's specific.

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:39 am

Aren't ghost prohibited by the laws of physics !!?? Moving forever with no energy input - that'd make em perpetual motion machines - No ??
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

jaap
Catbabel

Post by jaap » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:43 am

Lew Dolby wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:39 am
Aren't ghost prohibited by the laws of physics !!?? Moving forever with no energy input - that'd make em perpetual motion machines - No ??
How can you be sure there's no energy input? Maybe they feed off the energy of people that see them, Monsters Inc style.
And given that they are incorporeal, their moving about would not use energy anyway.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:48 am

Lew Dolby wrote:
Ethereal bodies aren't affected by conservation rules - that's a consequence of the Noether theorem.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:18 pm

Lew Dolby wrote:
Who said anything about "forever" and no energy input?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:20 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:44 pm
dyqik wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:33 pm
I'd have been in my car, heading for the Canadian border to join the Q early.
FTFY
Either way, I probably would have to queue behind the Von Trapp family. They'd get there first, as they live a lot closer to the Canadian border.

malbui
Fuzzable

Post by malbui » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:45 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:50 pm
bjn wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Meth, no crack.
I enjoyed seeing my crack questions taken up here and elsewhere, but I did feel outclassed by Marina Hyde's suggestion of a standard question, which was something like "Have you recently suffered head trauma?"
And when it starts to slide
Let it go
Leave it behind

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:48 pm

bjn wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Meth, no crack.
In New Zealand, they call it "P" if I recall correctly, so appropiate.

I do think this whole thread might demonstrate an interesting thing about people's mindsets. Because, seemingly like BOAF, I do sometimes wonder if it's me or the wingnuts that are wrong... then assess what I know about the world and come to the conclusion that the wingnuts are indeed wingnuts, and, for example, Covid-19 is real.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:01 pm

jimbob wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:48 pm
I do think this whole thread might demonstrate an interesting thing about people's mindsets. Because, seemingly like BOAF, I do sometimes wonder if it's me or the wingnuts that are wrong... then assess what I know about the world and come to the conclusion that the wingnuts are indeed wingnuts, and, for example, Covid-19 is real.
You can spot wingnuts, because they go down elaborate conspiracy trails that you can't believe anyone would believe. They're wingnuts because you don't need to think hard about whether they might be right, based on some basic common sense about how people operate.

These two tweets/threads from Katie Mack give a variation on this theme
https://twitter.com/AstroKatie/status/1 ... 80417?s=20
https://twitter.com/AstroKatie/status/1 ... 36163?s=20

As does Arnie (final paragraph):
https://twitter.com/ketch/status/135201 ... 45026?s=20

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:14 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:01 pm
jimbob wrote:
You can spot wingnuts, because they go down elaborate conspiracy trails that you can't believe anyone would believe. They're wingnuts because you don't need to think hard about whether they might be right, based on some basic common sense about how people operate.

Indeed, but do you every so often sanity check your view (and then come to that conclusion) because it's obvious for that reason?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:20 pm

jimbob wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:14 pm
dyqik wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:01 pm
jimbob wrote:

Indeed, but do you every so often sanity check your view (and then come to that conclusion) because it's obvious for that reason?
I rely on talking to other people with a range of reading habits, and reading things like middle of road media outlets to know that I'm not drifting into a rabbit hole. If conservative and liberal newspaper columnists, people on here, various Slacks, my government scientist colleagues and wife and neighbors are still making sense, then I'm probably fine.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:28 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:20 pm

I rely on talking to other people with a range of reading habits, and reading things like middle of road media outlets to know that I'm not drifting into a rabbit hole. If conservative and liberal newspaper columnists, people on here, various Slacks, my government scientist colleagues and wife and neighbors are still making sense, then I'm probably fine.
My point is that you do seem to actually check this. Whilst a lot of those who embrace certainty and dogmatism, don't.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:33 pm

jimbob wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:28 pm
dyqik wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:20 pm

My point is that you do seem to actually check this. Whilst a lot of those who embrace certainty and dogmatism, don't.
It's not really necessary to actively check though if you talk to/read a range of other people generally. And read/watch/listen to satire and understand it.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:16 am

These are good points. I suppose there are fairly objective behavioural differences between me/ dyqik versus a stereotypical wingnut. I also deliberately keep a broad social circle, use generalist online forums rather than echo chambers (it's always reassuring to be disagreed with by smart people, in a way), and so on.

A friend's dad has been youtube radicalised during lockdown, and is now a full-on flat earth QAnon antivaxer.

Online algorithms are especially pernicious. A while ago Reddit added a new default algorithm, described opaquely as showing you the "Best" content. Suddenly, everyone agreed with me and were posting about topics I'm interested in. I reverted to the old algorithm, "Top", which shows the content that has the most positive engagements from other users, and suddenly there was a lot of boring stuff and stupid opinions. And then I sorted by "Controversial", which also factors in negative engagements, and hooooooly sh.t it magically filled up with trolls and c.nts.

At least Reddit is transparent. Facebook and Twitter and stuff also manipulate the content you're shown based on how they think you'll react (whatever holds your attention best for selling you sponsored content). So everyone is just getting radicalised by algorithms all the time.

Scrutable shows posts in chronological order, no funny business. You're safe here, friends.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:20 am

jimbob wrote:
bjn wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Meth, no crack.
In New Zealand, they call it "P" if I recall correctly, so appropiate.
So that's what on the famous "P" tape!
jimbob wrote:
Indeed. I mean I'm pretty sure on QAnon and covid the wingnuts are definitely wrong.

But perhaps a reasonable person should assume that while no single view of theirs is ostensibly wingnutty, they probably are a wingnut on at least one of their views.