Pacific trade bloc

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
individualmember
Catbabel

Pacific trade bloc

Post by individualmember » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:14 am

The UK is going to apply to join the pacific trade partnership.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-a ... rmIkvWDKOE

So I’m wondering how can it be that we can’t join the EEA or EFTA because rule-taking, but we can with the CPTPP?
Last edited by El Pollo Diablo on Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title to avoid unintentional misdirection and/or boring pedantry

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Re: Pacific trade bloc

Post by Lew Dolby » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:04 am

What I was wondering (and I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere) is - Is this trade thing one of those with secret courts run by and for large businesses who can sue governments if they bring in laws that affect profits - but no reciprocation, governments can't sue if companies make decisions that cut tax takes ??
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:30 am

Well, according to the Australian Trade dept (dfat.gov.au) we would have to 1) join the newly established labour council for dispute resolution, 2) be subject to the International Labour Organisation rules regarding workers rights and welfare and 3) be subject to the usual tariffs and non-tariff barriers for typically 5 years and even then may not get free trade.

f.cking win win

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:12 pm

Oh, well that's obviously no good. Like Groucho said, I'd never be a member of a club that... had rules. Or something.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:47 pm

veravista wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:30 am
Well, according to the Australian Trade dept (dfat.gov.au) we would have to 1) join the newly established labour council for dispute resolution, 2) be subject to the International Labour Organisation rules regarding workers rights and welfare and 3) be subject to the usual tariffs and non-tariff barriers for typically 5 years and even then may not get free trade.

f.cking win win
On 2) Britain has been a member of the International Labour Organisation for over a century and has ratified all the major treaties. So no problem with that clause.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:17 am

Lew Dolby wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:04 am
What I was wondering (and I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere) is - Is this trade thing one of those with secret courts run by and for large businesses who can sue governments if they bring in laws that affect profits - but no reciprocation, governments can't sue if companies make decisions that cut tax takes ??
It appears that the answer is both yes and no: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehen ... artnership because the USA wanted those things but Trump withdrew the USA from the partnership, so the remaining members got rid of or weakened the objectionable stuff.