Male violence and harassment of women

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Tessa K
Light of Blast

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by Tessa K » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:21 pm

Victims of sexual abuse/assault can now name their attacker without being sued for defamation.

A sexual assault victim who was being sued by a man for publicising her claim that he attacked her has won her case.

It is the first such judgment, clarifying the law for victims of assault who have been silenced by their abusers and failed by the police.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-65402581

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:50 pm

FFS - a 10 second rule for sexual assault? No
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66174352
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:06 pm

So, presumably, if she smashes his face in but takes less than 10 seconds, that'd not be a crime either - dickheads.
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:09 pm

Lew Dolby wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:06 pm
So, presumably, if she smashes his face in but takes less than 10 seconds, that'd not be a crime either - dickheads.
So long as she "was joking" that would clearly be fine.

I wonder if the old caretaker gives the male 17 year old students wedgies too. Such a great joke, I bet he does. Everyone would understand he was just joking and he definitely wouldn't get beaten senseless. Which leads us to the other comment the judge made, that it was done "without lust". That's all very reassuring of course and clearly is all that matters. The power relationship that meant a man felt free to shove his hand down a 17 year old girl's pants anticipating no repercussions because there was nothing she could do about it, well that has no bearing at all. So long as the judge deduces he wasn't getting some kind of sexual thrill out of it I really can't see that anyone has anything to complain about here. Frankly wasting the court's time.

Next case.

snoozeofreason
Snowbonk

Post by snoozeofreason » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:43 am

Tessa K wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:21 pm
Victims of sexual abuse/assault can now name their attacker without being sued for defamation.

A sexual assault victim who was being sued by a man for publicising her claim that he attacked her has won her case.

It is the first such judgment, clarifying the law for victims of assault who have been silenced by their abusers and failed by the police.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-65402581
That might be an unwise conclusion to draw from the case. According to the BBC report, the judge in this case had decided that, on the balance of probabilities, the victim's account had been shown to be true. It's not obvious that she (the judge) would have reached the same conclusion otherwise. And, of course, the fact that an accusation is true doesn't necessarily mean that it can be shown to be true in a court - even a civil court, where the standard of proof is balance of probability rather than the criminal standard of beyond reasonable doubt.
In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them. The human body was knocked up pretty late on the Friday afternoon, with a deadline looming. How well do you expect it to work?

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:54 pm

FT video about Crispin Odey

https://youtube.com/watch?v=w2NAtPX0hkw
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:03 pm

Jesus f.cking Christ.
A letter in the Times today.
F54px7qXsAAMlmX.jpg
F54px7qXsAAMlmX.jpg (110.02 KiB) Viewed 6166 times
Time for a big fat one.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:13 pm

Opti wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:03 pm
Jesus f.cking Christ.

F54px7qXsAAMlmX.jpgImage
I saw that on X/Twitter. I can only think of words starting with F and C at the moment.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:27 pm

At least he retired in 2020 I suppose, though clearly his attitude lives on.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:33 pm

I saw that and was appalled. There were some decrying the Times for publishing it, saying it gave acceptance to that kind of behaviour. However, I thought it was good it was published, so it and attitudes it contained could be held up to scorn and contempt and to be publicly seen to be horrendous.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:13 pm

Opti wrote:
Jesus f.cking Christ.

F54px7qXsAAMlmX.jpgImage
I wonder if this will open him up to claims from people who have suffered bullying/sexual abuse at his/his underlings hands? It's hard to believe that he could espouse such views so openly without having engaged in/supported the behaviour.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:08 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:13 pm
Opti wrote:
Jesus f.cking Christ.

F54px7qXsAAMlmX.jpgImage
I wonder if this will open him up to claims from people who have suffered bullying/sexual abuse at his/his underlings hands? It's hard to believe that he could espouse such views so openly without having engaged in/supported the behaviour.
That thought occurred to me too. People who suffered in silence may be angered enough to take action. They could sue him just for the bants so it would be ok.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:49 pm

Opti wrote:
Jesus f.cking Christ.

F54px7qXsAAMlmX.jpgImage
His apparent doubling down/apology was even worse.

https://twitter.com/andyheeps/status/17 ... 0845650125

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:16 am

His demand the victims "deal with it" seems to miss the rather obvious point that calling it out is the first step in dealing with it. He doesn't mean "deal with it" he means "shut up and meekly accept it".

It does remind me of the pushback against junior hospital doctors having their absurd working hours addressed to try to avoid the obvious risk of sleep-deprived doctors making mistakes that harmed or even killed patients. Some regarded the endurance test of absurd hours on call as being a trial that they'd had to endure so the new recruits ought to prove themselves too. A few dead patients were just the necessary cost of weeding out weaklings.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:40 pm

I've moved posts about Russell Brans to the dedicated thread about him.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:44 pm

Gracie Spinks was aged 23 when she was stabbed 10 times by Michael Sellers, 35, a former colleague who started stalking her. She reported him to her employer and he was subsequently fired following a disciplinary procedure during which he lied and claimed he was in a relationship with Spinks.
She also reported him to the police as “she was worried it could happen again to someone else and get worse”. [Source]
Officers gave 'words of advice' to Sellers,
But they took no action when a bag of weapons was found near the stables by a member of the public, which included a note saying "do not lie", just over a month before Ms Spinks' death...

On the first day of a four-week inquest, the assistant coroner Matthew Kewley told the jury that a rucksack containing a number of knives, an axe, a hammer, a handwritten note that said “Do not lie” and a M&S till receipt was handed in to police on 6 May 2021.[Source]
On 18 June 2021, while at the stables where she kept a horse, Gracie was murdered by Sellers, who then fled the scene and killed himself.

The case has gone to inquest and today it was revealed that,
At least eight women were harassed by the man who went on to murder Gracie Spinks, with some reporting that they had to quit their job and move house to avoid him...

DC Denise Sandall, of Derbyshire constabulary, told the inquest that police identified eight other women who had previously received unwanted attention from Sellers.

The first woman, who worked with Sellers at a different company, left her job because his unwanted attention made her so uncomfortable. She reported seeing Sellers parked near her home at night.

A second woman said she left her workplace after Sellers continued to message her even after asking him to stop, and she had been forced to change her address and the car she drove to avoid him.

Police were told by a colleague of Sellers that he had a “fascination” with watching a third young woman, although she was not aware of this until she was approached by officers investigating Spinks’s death.

A fourth woman said Sellers asked her out on a date 10 times before she told him to stop and she left her job. She noticed he seemed to know details about her life, friends and plans, and eventually discovered he had created a fake account to follow her on Instagram.

A fifth woman said Sellers became “hostile” and bumped his car into hers at a roundabout as he followed her while she was driving home, after she turned down his advances after they went for a drink.

Police were unable to contact a sixth woman, and a seventh said Sellers had become possessive, accusing her of speaking to other men and not him. The eighth woman was made uncomfortable by Sellers’ behaviour towards her, and Xbite reportedly spoke to him about “inappropriate” behaviour. [Source]
it's okay to say "I don't know"

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:37 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:44 pm
Gracie Spinks was aged 23 when she was stabbed 10 times by Michael Sellers, 35, a former colleague who started stalking her. She reported him to her employer and he was subsequently fired following a disciplinary procedure during which he lied and claimed he was in a relationship with Spinks.
She also reported him to the police as “she was worried it could happen again to someone else and get worse”. [Source]
Officers gave 'words of advice' to Sellers,
But they took no action when a bag of weapons was found near the stables by a member of the public, which included a note saying "do not lie", just over a month before Ms Spinks' death...

On the first day of a four-week inquest, the assistant coroner Matthew Kewley told the jury that a rucksack containing a number of knives, an axe, a hammer, a handwritten note that said “Do not lie” and a M&S till receipt was handed in to police on 6 May 2021.[Source]
On 18 June 2021, while at the stables where she kept a horse, Gracie was murdered by Sellers, who then fled the scene and killed himself.

The case has gone to inquest and today it was revealed that,
At least eight women were harassed by the man who went on to murder Gracie Spinks, with some reporting that they had to quit their job and move house to avoid him...

DC Denise Sandall, of Derbyshire constabulary, told the inquest that police identified eight other women who had previously received unwanted attention from Sellers.

The first woman, who worked with Sellers at a different company, left her job because his unwanted attention made her so uncomfortable. She reported seeing Sellers parked near her home at night.

A second woman said she left her workplace after Sellers continued to message her even after asking him to stop, and she had been forced to change her address and the car she drove to avoid him.

Police were told by a colleague of Sellers that he had a “fascination” with watching a third young woman, although she was not aware of this until she was approached by officers investigating Spinks’s death.

A fourth woman said Sellers asked her out on a date 10 times before she told him to stop and she left her job. She noticed he seemed to know details about her life, friends and plans, and eventually discovered he had created a fake account to follow her on Instagram.

A fifth woman said Sellers became “hostile” and bumped his car into hers at a roundabout as he followed her while she was driving home, after she turned down his advances after they went for a drink.

Police were unable to contact a sixth woman, and a seventh said Sellers had become possessive, accusing her of speaking to other men and not him. The eighth woman was made uncomfortable by Sellers’ behaviour towards her, and Xbite reportedly spoke to him about “inappropriate” behaviour. [Source]
Shocking
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:52 pm

Leaving work after dark this evening, I walked out of a side alley onto the main road, and found myself walking a couple of paces behind a woman. She immediately stopped and moved away for me to go past, almost before I had realised she was there. Another depressing reminder that women and men live in different worlds.

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:23 am

WTAF??? The Home Secretary???

Home Secretary James Cleverly apologises after joking about spiking his wife's drink
https://news.sky.com/story/home-secreta ... k-13037198
Mr Cleverly also laughed that the secret to a long marriage was ensuring your spouse was "someone who is always mildly sedated so she can never realise there are better men out there".

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:03 am

bob sterman wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:23 am

Home Secretary James Cleverly apologises after joking about spiking his wife's drink
Mr Cleverly also laughed that the secret to a long marriage was ensuring your spouse was "someone who is always mildly sedated so she can never realise there are better men out there".
I wondered whether there could be a different interpretation as there’s a long history of tranquillisers being ‘mother’s little helper’. But no.
The home secretary told female guests "a little bit of Rohypnol in her drink every night" was "not really illegal if it's only a little bit", the Sunday Mirror reported.
Latest example of how they just don’t care anymore.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:02 am

Every time you think they can't get worse. He'll still try and ride it out.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:40 am

bob sterman wrote:

I came here to post that. FFS. That quote isn't even the worst of it according to this.

Also, he doesn't know what irony means.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67813689

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:53 am

You have to remember he's thick as pigshit. They long ago got rid of anybody with even half a brain.
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:07 am

A little bit of ROHYPNOL in my wife's
drink every night...is not really illegal if it’s only a little bit.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:09 am

Tessa K wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:40 am
bob sterman wrote:

I came here to post that. FFS. That quote isn't even the worst of it according to this.

Also, he doesn't know what irony means.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67813689
It also pisses my off that there's umbrage that it was a private reception and the Mirror "broke convention" by reporting it. As if that makes it OK.