Male violence and harassment of women

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
User avatar
Stephanie
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2824
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:38 pm
Location: clinging tenaciously to your buttocks

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by Stephanie » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:57 pm

tom p wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:25 pm
Tessa K wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:11 am
Cardinal Fang wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:20 pm
The next rite of passage is the routine "phone me when you get home" sign off you say to your friends when you've been out of an evening.

CF
Which is something people never say to men.

Also, something young men never hear: parent to daughter: you're not going out dressed like that.

(The solution to that is to wear a long coat over the skimpy party clothes)
The 2nd statement isn't true. It just depends on how the young man in question dresses & his parents.

And, in all fairness to parents, young blokes would rarely go out dressed in clothes which practically showed their schlong, unlike lasses who will often try and go out wearing something that barely covers their arse.
Oh god don't start all that ffs
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

User avatar
Cardinal Fang
Snowbonk
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:42 pm

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by Cardinal Fang » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:49 pm

tom p wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:25 pm
And, in all fairness to parents, young blokes would rarely go out dressed in clothes which practically showed their schlong, unlike lasses who will often try and go out wearing something that barely covers their arse.
It should be entirely irrelevant what someone is wearing when it comes to their safety. The fact that there are still comments about how people think it not acceptable for girls to wear certain thing shows that's not the case though

CF
Image

tom p
After Pie
Posts: 1876
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:14 pm
Location: the low countries

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by tom p » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:59 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:49 pm
tom p wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:25 pm
And, in all fairness to parents, young blokes would rarely go out dressed in clothes which practically showed their schlong, unlike lasses who will often try and go out wearing something that barely covers their arse.
It should be entirely irrelevant what someone is wearing when it comes to their safety. The fact that there are still comments about how people think it not acceptable for girls to wear certain thing shows that's not the case though

CF
It should indeed, but Tessa felt it was relevant to bring it up in this thread, not me.

User avatar
Stephanie
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2824
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:38 pm
Location: clinging tenaciously to your buttocks

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by Stephanie » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:34 pm

tom p wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:59 pm
Cardinal Fang wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:49 pm
tom p wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:25 pm
And, in all fairness to parents, young blokes would rarely go out dressed in clothes which practically showed their schlong, unlike lasses who will often try and go out wearing something that barely covers their arse.
It should be entirely irrelevant what someone is wearing when it comes to their safety. The fact that there are still comments about how people think it not acceptable for girls to wear certain thing shows that's not the case though

CF
It should indeed, but Tessa felt it was relevant to bring it up in this thread, not me.
The thread is about male violence and harassment of women.

While young boys may get comments from parents about clothing, these are unlikely to be related to covering up for their own safety*.

Tessa's comment is relevant because some fathers, either upon noticing their daughters growing up, or observing men looking at their daughter, seek to deal with the problem by telling their daughter to cover up.

*this may be different for LGBTQ+ teens, where safety may be a factor in parents response to outfits
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

tom p
After Pie
Posts: 1876
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:14 pm
Location: the low countries

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by tom p » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:05 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:34 pm
tom p wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:59 pm
Cardinal Fang wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:49 pm


It should be entirely irrelevant what someone is wearing when it comes to their safety. The fact that there are still comments about how people think it not acceptable for girls to wear certain thing shows that's not the case though

CF
It should indeed, but Tessa felt it was relevant to bring it up in this thread, not me.
The thread is about male violence and harassment of women.

While young boys may get comments from parents about clothing, these are unlikely to be related to covering up for their own safety*.

Tessa's comment is relevant because some fathers, either upon noticing their daughters growing up, or observing men looking at their daughter, seek to deal with the problem by telling their daughter to cover up.

*this may be different for LGBTQ+ teens, where safety may be a factor in parents response to outfits
someone wise wrote:Oh god don't start all that ffs

User avatar
basementer
Dorkwood
Posts: 1470
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm
Location: 5713, Aotearoa
Contact:

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by basementer » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:27 pm

They wrote it in reply to you, Tom, and that's the second time you've ignored it. Shut up.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

User avatar
Stephanie
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2824
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:38 pm
Location: clinging tenaciously to your buttocks

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by Stephanie » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:03 pm

tom p wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:05 pm
Stephanie wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:34 pm
tom p wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:59 pm

It should indeed, but Tessa felt it was relevant to bring it up in this thread, not me.
The thread is about male violence and harassment of women.

While young boys may get comments from parents about clothing, these are unlikely to be related to covering up for their own safety*.

Tessa's comment is relevant because some fathers, either upon noticing their daughters growing up, or observing men looking at their daughter, seek to deal with the problem by telling their daughter to cover up.

*this may be different for LGBTQ+ teens, where safety may be a factor in parents response to outfits
someone wise wrote:Oh god don't start all that ffs
I will point you back to something Grumble wrote (26 March 2021), which no one challenged. It is not far off what me and Tessa have said (except the outcome we mentioned was far, far milder).
I know that when my eldest daughter was born I looked at the girls going out on a Saturday night dressed to the nines in a different way, imagining that she would one day be one of them. In some cultures, here in the U.K. mainly in the past but very much present day elsewhere, this leads to fathers being very protective. It’s not a new phenomenon, and leads to all sorts of abuse up to and including murder. There is a (historically) new aspect in that instead of triggering over-protectiveness it now seems to trigger empathy and a desire to change things for the better.
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW
Posts: 10120
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:06 pm

Tom, a reminder of Rule 12, in particular:

a. If you’re not of the section of society being discussed, don’t make it about you in the thread.
b. Don’t redirect the topic onto other sections of society.
c. If there are serious things to discuss which are related but off-topic, or about other sections of society, please start a new thread. Don't derail.

And - pre-empting your usual behaviour - there's also:

h. If you are pulled up for falling foul of this rule, do not waste discussion time grumbling about it or arguing the toss. Posts of this nature will be either moved to The Pit or Quarantine. The decisions taken by moderators in response to this rule are final.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

tom p
After Pie
Posts: 1876
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:14 pm
Location: the low countries

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by tom p » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:05 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:06 pm
Tom, a reminder of Rule 12, in particular:

a. If you’re not of the section of society being discussed, don’t make it about you in the thread.
b. Don’t redirect the topic onto other sections of society.
c. If there are serious things to discuss which are related but off-topic, or about other sections of society, please start a new thread. Don't derail.

And - pre-empting your usual behaviour - there's also:

h. If you are pulled up for falling foul of this rule, do not waste discussion time grumbling about it or arguing the toss. Posts of this nature will be either moved to The Pit or Quarantine. The decisions taken by moderators in response to this rule are final.
Didn't do any of those things, mate. Just challenged Tessa's obviously false assertion that boys are never told what to wear. Just because she has a fanny, and this thread is about male violence & harassment of women, that doesn't mean that she's correct. She would be just as incorrect making that statement in any thread, and you know it.
And Steph is just making up stuff that Tessa didn't say. Steph may think that she implied it, but she didn't say it. Or are we now to respond to imagined subtexts? I can make up some b.llsh.t that Tessa didn't say and respond to that if you want.
Furthermore, even though Grumble thinks one way, doesn't mean that all parents telling their daughters not to go out dressed up in certain clothes is all about dads being overprotective of their daughters because of the violence & harassment that does exist. There are plenty of parents who would tell their daughter not to go out dressed like *that* because the mum doesn't want the neighbours to think that their daughter is a common tart, to use the sort of language that my generation's parents would have freely used.
In short, the posts starting with Tessa's one have been trivial and pointless and frankly should be moved from this thread about serious issues because they are trivialising this serious thing & are obviously wrong.

User avatar
Tessa K
Stummy Beige
Posts: 4098
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by Tessa K » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:37 am

I never said boys aren't told what to wear. There's a particular tone of voice that dads - and mums - use to daughters going out in skimpy clothes and it's that I was referring to.

When boys are told what to wear/not wear it's for different reasons, rarely because the clothes sexualise them and send the wrong signals to predatory men. Some boys may get beaten up for what they're wearing if they're not perceived as 'masculine' enough but that's a different mindset, nothing to do with signalling availability.

The rite of passage is for parents having to accept their daughters' sexuality and the consequences of that. It's also a rite of passage for girls as they begin a new stage in their lives as visibly sexual humans and have to navigate that, both the power it gives and the vulnerability.

User avatar
Stephanie
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2824
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:38 pm
Location: clinging tenaciously to your buttocks

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by Stephanie » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:35 pm

tom p wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:05 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:06 pm
Tom, a reminder of Rule 12, in particular:

a. If you’re not of the section of society being discussed, don’t make it about you in the thread.
b. Don’t redirect the topic onto other sections of society.
c. If there are serious things to discuss which are related but off-topic, or about other sections of society, please start a new thread. Don't derail.

And - pre-empting your usual behaviour - there's also:

h. If you are pulled up for falling foul of this rule, do not waste discussion time grumbling about it or arguing the toss. Posts of this nature will be either moved to The Pit or Quarantine. The decisions taken by moderators in response to this rule are final.
Didn't do any of those things, mate. Just challenged Tessa's obviously false assertion that boys are never told what to wear. Just because she has a fanny, and this thread is about male violence & harassment of women, that doesn't mean that she's correct. She would be just as incorrect making that statement in any thread, and you know it.
And Steph is just making up stuff that Tessa didn't say. Steph may think that she implied it, but she didn't say it. Or are we now to respond to imagined subtexts? I can make up some b.llsh.t that Tessa didn't say and respond to that if you want.
Furthermore, even though Grumble thinks one way, doesn't mean that all parents telling their daughters not to go out dressed up in certain clothes is all about dads being overprotective of their daughters because of the violence & harassment that does exist. There are plenty of parents who would tell their daughter not to go out dressed like *that* because the mum doesn't want the neighbours to think that their daughter is a common tart, to use the sort of language that my generation's parents would have freely used.
In short, the posts starting with Tessa's one have been trivial and pointless and frankly should be moved from this thread about serious issues because they are trivialising this serious thing & are obviously wrong.
It's not trivial. You don't seem to be understanding, so I'll patiently try again. Girls suddenly being perceived in a sexual way is linked to comments about them looking like "tarts" or over protectiveness, and that view around their sexuality or perceived availability can then lead to other more serious incidents. Hence why Grumble wrote what he did.

I shared it to demonstrate that no one had an issue with that topic of conversation when it was originally posted, so there should be no issue with it being discussed now.

Please try to remember that women posting on this thread are at times drawing from lived experience.
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

User avatar
jimbob
Light of Blast
Posts: 4537
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by jimbob » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:51 pm

Yup.

I know that I don't observe it very often because it is often targeted at lone women or girls.

I do know that women worry about that. And from experience. I also remember, first at university, and then other occasions, where another student told me that she'd not walk down a route where I felt so safe, it hadn't even registered as a possible threat.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
basementer
Dorkwood
Posts: 1470
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm
Location: 5713, Aotearoa
Contact:

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by basementer » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:56 am

Tom, please shut up and listen to yourself.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

User avatar
Tessa K
Stummy Beige
Posts: 4098
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by Tessa K » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:00 am


User avatar
Tessa K
Stummy Beige
Posts: 4098
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by Tessa K » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:37 am

Sexual choking aka strangulation of women by men without consent is becoming more prevalent.

Even with full consent, few people realise how dangerous it is.

https://tinyurl.com/4ep859f9

User avatar
Grumble
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3912
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by Grumble » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:22 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:37 am
Sexual choking aka strangulation of women by men without consent is becoming more prevalent.

Even with full consent, few people realise how dangerous it is.

https://tinyurl.com/4ep859f9
What’s the point of that? I thought choking was meant to heighten the pleasure of the chokee, but without consent that would at the very least be alarming.
A bit churlish

User avatar
Tessa K
Stummy Beige
Posts: 4098
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by Tessa K » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:40 pm

Grumble wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:22 pm
Tessa K wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:37 am
Sexual choking aka strangulation of women by men without consent is becoming more prevalent.

Even with full consent, few people realise how dangerous it is.

https://tinyurl.com/4ep859f9
What’s the point of that? I thought choking was meant to heighten the pleasure of the chokee, but without consent that would at the very least be alarming.
There's an assumption, mostly based on p.rn, that women want it.

User avatar
Grumble
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3912
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by Grumble » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:22 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:40 pm
Grumble wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:22 pm
Tessa K wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:37 am
Sexual choking aka strangulation of women by men without consent is becoming more prevalent.

Even with full consent, few people realise how dangerous it is.

https://tinyurl.com/4ep859f9
What’s the point of that? I thought choking was meant to heighten the pleasure of the chokee, but without consent that would at the very least be alarming.
There's an assumption, mostly based on p.rn, that women want it.
I’m obviously not watching the right p.rn.
A bit churlish

User avatar
shpalman
Princess POW
Posts: 7567
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond
Contact:

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by shpalman » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:18 pm

There's no link or citation for "Sexual choking has become increasingly prevalent in mixed-sex p.rnography" in the story either, even though there are studies linked which say that more people are doing it or having it done to them.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

noggins
Snowbonk
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:30 pm

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by noggins » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:22 pm

I think the article is mistaken trying to couple righteous condemnation of a dangerous practice,- horrifying when nonconsensual - with an odd view of consent and desire.

[The problem here is not only that women are being choked during sex without giving consent, but that a lot of the time they are “consenting” not because they derive their own sexual pleasure from it, but because they think it turns the guy on.

Separating true consent from the desire to give your male partner sexual satisfaction is difficult


I think one should have a crack at what one’s partner likes, with reciprocality. But not, of course, if its something that can kill you.

User avatar
EACLucifer
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3146
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:49 am
Location: In Sumerian Haze

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:35 pm

noggins wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:22 pm
I think the article is mistaken trying to couple righteous condemnation of a dangerous practice,- horrifying when nonconsensual - with an odd view of consent and desire.

[The problem here is not only that women are being choked during sex without giving consent, but that a lot of the time they are “consenting” not because they derive their own sexual pleasure from it, but because they think it turns the guy on.

Separating true consent from the desire to give your male partner sexual satisfaction is difficult


I think one should have a crack at what one’s partner likes, with reciprocality. But not, of course, if its something that can kill you.
It's something I've been asked to do before. I've always said no. There just isn't a way to do it safely. There are a couple of things one can do safely to create a similar effect, depending on what the exact effect desired is. Spoilered in case some people find them TMI.

Spoiler:


In general, people need to talk to each other more, and to communicate more about sex before, during and after. Not just to "get consent", it's not just a switch, a box to tick then blunder on. It's a continuous process where consent is the bare minimum, but better communication generally means better sex and less risk of harming each other. That doesn't always mean verbal, with a long term partner it can be body language in the heat of the moment if you've worked out you are both happy communicating that way by that point in your relationship. But there's some things that even then should always be explicitly discussed, and breathplay is one of them.

User avatar
Tessa K
Stummy Beige
Posts: 4098
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by Tessa K » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:05 am

EACLucifer wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:35 pm
noggins wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:22 pm
I think the article is mistaken trying to couple righteous condemnation of a dangerous practice,- horrifying when nonconsensual - with an odd view of consent and desire.

[The problem here is not only that women are being choked during sex without giving consent, but that a lot of the time they are “consenting” not because they derive their own sexual pleasure from it, but because they think it turns the guy on.

Separating true consent from the desire to give your male partner sexual satisfaction is difficult


I think one should have a crack at what one’s partner likes, with reciprocality. But not, of course, if its something that can kill you.
It's something I've been asked to do before. I've always said no. There just isn't a way to do it safely. There are a couple of things one can do safely to create a similar effect, depending on what the exact effect desired is. Spoilered in case some people find them TMI.

Spoiler:


In general, people need to talk to each other more, and to communicate more about sex before, during and after. Not just to "get consent", it's not just a switch, a box to tick then blunder on. It's a continuous process where consent is the bare minimum, but better communication generally means better sex and less risk of harming each other. That doesn't always mean verbal, with a long term partner it can be body language in the heat of the moment if you've worked out you are both happy communicating that way by that point in your relationship. But there's some things that even then should always be explicitly discussed, and breathplay is one of them.
All true. Also, just because someone consented to something once doesn't mean they want it every time. Consent and negotiation are ongoing, even with a regular partner.

If control is what's wanted, a firm grip on the back of the neck is safe and effective. Also, (TMI)

Spoiler:


I read recently (properly researched) that even if someone appears OK post choking they can drop dead some time after, especially if there are unknown medical conditions. It really is Russian roulette.

I'm told there is no safe equivalent in terms of the sensation by people who gave done it but maybe some sensations are best not experienced. If you want to try any kind of BDSM, p.rn is not the place to learn the necessary skills or consent communication.

User avatar
Woodchopper
Light of Blast
Posts: 6125
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:49 am

Those are all good suggestions.

But isn't it the case that some people enjoy hypoxia without the BDSM elements? I was too sensible to try it but I remember that asphyxiation games were popular among teenagers in the 80s. A way to get high when they were a bit young for booze and drugs.

User avatar
Tessa K
Stummy Beige
Posts: 4098
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by Tessa K » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:59 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:49 am
Those are all good suggestions.

But isn't it the case that some people enjoy hypoxia without the BDSM elements? I was too sensible to try it but I remember that asphyxiation games were popular among teenagers in the 80s. A way to get high when they were a bit young for booze and drugs.
It depends on your definition of BDSM/kink. In the broadest sense, asphyxiation would count in any context as a form of play (which is not always sexual). But ymmv.

The article should have mentioned women doing it to each other or to men if safety were the only concern but when it's a man doing it to women there are other elements of control, abuse and general male unpleasantness.

User avatar
Tessa K
Stummy Beige
Posts: 4098
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by Tessa K » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:59 am

New(ish) words to describe male sexual abuse:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-63811380

Post Reply