Male violence and harassment of women

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Woodchopper
Stummy Beige

Re: Male violence and harassment of women

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:03 pm

Grumble wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:43 pm
How would one suppress menses? I mean these days you can do it with the pill, but what do they mean?
Can be a symptom of other medical conditions. Maybe suppressed menses was the most obvious symptom of something else, which also led to mental health problems.

El Pollo Diablo
After Pie

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:26 pm

Pregnancy will do that to you I guess. And the thing that comes after pregnancy.
Mike Patton wrote:"You overdo it sometimes. There I am, peeing on Axl Rose’s teleprompter." He looks rueful: "I didn’t really have to do that."

Squeak
Catbabel

Post by Squeak » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:57 am

The most obvious direct cause for suppression of menses is presumably nutritional deficiency of some kind. Nowadays, girls get earned to look out for it as a sign that dieting or exercise have got out of hand. Back then, there would have been a range of exciting reasons why a woman might have eaten too little too remain fertile. In addition to all sorts of illnesses that can affect the hormonal system without obvious external cause.

Tessa K
After Pie

Post by Tessa K » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:23 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:14 pm
That’s interesting. Perhaps the Victorian notion of novel reading causing hysteria is a bit like us assuming that excessive reading of Facebook causes paranoia.
Novel reading was seen as dangerous or at least undesirable because it was mostly done by women and might put ideas in their heads. Even novelists picked up on this (sometimes to mock the idea).
In “Madame Bovary” (1856), Gustave Flaubert describes a teenage Emma Bovary who “made her hands dirty with books from old lending libraries.”

“Through Walter Scott, later on, she fell in love with historical events, dreamed of old chests, guard-rooms and minstrels. She would have liked to live in some old manor-house, like those long-waisted chatelaines who, in the shade of pointed arches, spent their days leaning on the stone, chin in hand, watching a cavalier with white plume galloping on his black horse from the distant fields.Before marriage she thought herself in love; but the happiness that should have followed this love not having come, she must, she thought, have been mistaken. And Emma tried to find out what one meant exactly in life by the words felicity, passion, rapture, that had seemed to her so beautiful in books”
and
ane Austen’s “Northanger Abbey” (1817) tells the story of Catherine Morland, a lover of novels whose reading makes her believe a man she’s staying with is a murderer.
(sourced from here https://op-talk.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/ ... d-for-you/

That list also puts Religion and Jealousy together, which is odd.

tom p
Catbabel

Post by tom p » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:37 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:03 pm
Grumble wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:43 pm
How would one suppress menses? I mean these days you can do it with the pill, but what do they mean?
Can be a symptom of other medical conditions. Maybe suppressed menses was the most obvious symptom of something else, which also led to mental health problems.
Menopause or peri-menopause

JellyandJackson
Clardic Fug

Post by JellyandJackson » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:33 pm

In case anyone was wondering what happened about kid B and the catcalling:
Very quick responses from both form tutor and head of year. The head of year’s email is brilliant. He is (with kid B’s consent) going to have a word with the offender.
The kids had assemblies today about harassment, the murder of Sarah Everard & subsequent protests, how to intervene, violence and sexual assault of both men and women, etc. I can’t remember all the details. Kid B says the assembly was good. She’s deeply cheesed off though by the response of her peers - girls going out of their way to say “it isn’t that bad”, the fact that “the assembly was about speaking up but the culture surrounding these things is so bad that this isn’t the conversation that is needed”, all the boys* in and after the assembly, which wasn’t particularly gendered, saying “not all men” etc. The school is also going to set up an anonymous page like everyone’s invited and inviting kids to add stories. They have clearly been planning a lot of this for a while.
As an outcome: pretty good, I think.
*Not all the boys. 3 decent ones, 1 of them gay.
A thousand strawberry lollies and the princess of Lichtenstein.

Squeak
Catbabel

Post by Squeak » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:53 pm

Yay for the school, if not most of the students. Hopefully* the school's measures will help then learn. At least a little bit....

*What is there without hope?

JellyandJackson
Clardic Fug

Post by JellyandJackson » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:29 pm

Yes, I’m really impressed with the school.
I said to kid B, for all the gobby boys who won’t change and the girls who don’t think it’s a problem, there will be girls who have thought “well hang on, this isn’t on” who will now feel braver about responding / reporting harassment etc, and there will be boys who will feel braver in calling out their mates. She won’t know about the people who have been quietly encouraged because they will be being quiet about it.
So I am hopeful too.
A thousand strawberry lollies and the princess of Lichtenstein.

Fishnut
Dorkwood

Post by Fishnut » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:03 pm

Two Met PCs charged over crime scene photos:
Two Met Police officers have been charged over photographs allegedly taken at a crime scene where two sisters were stabbed to death. The photographs relate to the deaths of Nicole Smallman, 27, and Bibaa Henry, 46, who were found in Fryent Country Park, Wembley, last June. PC Deniz Jaffer and PC Jamie Lewis have each been charged with misconduct in a public office.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Bird on a Fire
Light of Blast

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:24 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:03 pm
Two Met Police officers have been charged over photographs allegedly taken at a crime scene where two sisters were stabbed to death. The photographs relate to the deaths of Nicole Smallman, 27, and Bibaa Henry, 46, who were found in Fryent Country Park, Wembley, last June. PC Deniz Jaffer and PC Jamie Lewis have each been charged with misconduct in a public office.
Good. Thanks for the update.
He has the grace of a swan, the wisdom of an owl, and the eye of an eagle—ladies and gentlemen, this man is for the birds!

jimbob
After Pie

Post by jimbob » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:48 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:24 pm
Fishnut wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:03 pm
Good. Thanks for the update.
Yes, and where racism and misogyny intersect
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Tessa K
After Pie

Post by Tessa K » Tue May 04, 2021 11:00 am

I watched Promising Young Woman last night. It's excellent, Carey Mulligan is really good. But it's a tough watch.