Flagshagging

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Millennie Al
Catbabel
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:02 am

Re: Flagshagging

Post by Millennie Al » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:56 am

jimbob wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:00 pm
Should we include the second jet for Prime Ministerial transport - which has been acquired at an undisclosed price.

I'm interested how much the combined cost of that, its refit and paintjob, and the festival of Brexit will cost compared to the NHS payrise.
Well, the last paint job is reported to have cost £900,000 (https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... 000-pounds). The cost of things not yet done is pretty much unknowable as costs tend to get mysteriously greater between planning and completion.

From https://inews.co.uk/nhs/nurse-salary-ho ... arn-899582 "The Royal College of Nursing (RCN) has estimated that an average NHS nurse’s pay is £33,384" and from https://www.gov.uk/government/news/reco ... in-the-nhs there are 299,184 nurses, so 1% of the total nurses' salary bill is £100 million. Calculations for doctors are left as an exercise for the reader.

And therefore if nurses had been given the money spent on the paint job, they'd have got a one-off payment of £3. The previous refit (from the same article) cost £10m, so that would have been a one-off payment of £33 - obviously much less if shared with doctors.
Covid-19 - Don't catch it: don't spread it.

User avatar
Grumble
After Pie
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: Flagshagging

Post by Grumble » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:31 am

Millennie Al wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:56 am
jimbob wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:00 pm
Should we include the second jet for Prime Ministerial transport - which has been acquired at an undisclosed price.

I'm interested how much the combined cost of that, its refit and paintjob, and the festival of Brexit will cost compared to the NHS payrise.
Well, the last paint job is reported to have cost £900,000 (https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... 000-pounds). The cost of things not yet done is pretty much unknowable as costs tend to get mysteriously greater between planning and completion.

From https://inews.co.uk/nhs/nurse-salary-ho ... arn-899582 "The Royal College of Nursing (RCN) has estimated that an average NHS nurse’s pay is £33,384" and from https://www.gov.uk/government/news/reco ... in-the-nhs there are 299,184 nurses, so 1% of the total nurses' salary bill is £100 million. Calculations for doctors are left as an exercise for the reader.

And therefore if nurses had been given the money spent on the paint job, they'd have got a one-off payment of £3. The previous refit (from the same article) cost £10m, so that would have been a one-off payment of £33 - obviously much less if shared with doctors.
The NHS pay bill is far bigger than doctors and nurses.
I know this is vitriol, no solution, spleen venting, but I feel better having screamed, don’t you?

tom p
Catbabel
Posts: 748
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:14 pm
Location: the low countries

Re: Flagshagging

Post by tom p » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:49 am

Since this has turned into a local flags thing...
As much as I hate Lincolnshire, it has a lovely flag.
Seems to be flown everywhere in Market Rasen almost all the time.

User avatar
headshot
Snowbonk
Posts: 564
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am

Re: Flagshagging

Post by headshot » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:51 am

tom p wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:49 am
Since this has turned into a local flags thing...
Seems to be flown everywhere in Market Rasen almost all the time.
The only time I’ve been to Market Rasen was to do a pyrotechnics qualification. We blew lots of things up.

User avatar
veravista
Snowbonk
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:29 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the earth

Re: Flagshagging

Post by veravista » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:01 am

I went, and stopped, in Boston once. Got punched in the mouth by a local as I was leaving a curry house. No idea why.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Light of Blast
Posts: 5465
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: nadir of brie

Re: Flagshagging

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:05 am

headshot wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:51 am
tom p wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:49 am
Since this has turned into a local flags thing...
Seems to be flown everywhere in Market Rasen almost all the time.
The only time I’ve been to Market Rasen was to do a pyrotechnics qualification. We blew lots of things up.
Nowhere near enough.
He has the grace of a swan, the wisdom of an owl, and the eye of an eagle—ladies and gentlemen, this man is for the birds!

User avatar
headshot
Snowbonk
Posts: 564
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am

Re: Flagshagging

Post by headshot » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:03 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:05 am
headshot wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:51 am
tom p wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:49 am
Since this has turned into a local flags thing...
Seems to be flown everywhere in Market Rasen almost all the time.
The only time I’ve been to Market Rasen was to do a pyrotechnics qualification. We blew lots of things up.
Nowhere near enough.
There was an earthquake there not long after. I like to think the two things are connected.

User avatar
Tessa K
After Pie
Posts: 1968
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Flagshagging

Post by Tessa K » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:24 pm

Here's a lovely flag

Image

bagpuss
Catbabel
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Re: Flagshagging

Post by bagpuss » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:40 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:24 pm
Here's a lovely flag

Image
Now that's a flag that I would be happy to see lots of.

We have lots of these, too, along our local canal. They are very cheerful and I love it when they're out.

Image

User avatar
Rich Scopie
Fuzzable
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:21 pm

Re: Flagshagging

Post by Rich Scopie » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:15 pm

nezumi wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:27 pm
I'm terribly depressed by the fact I can't find a flag for my area, we're not North Yorkshire and we're not Durham or anything either. I live in :cry: a flagless place :cry:

No flag.
Not even a sh.t flag.
No flag.
Flagless.
Bereft of flag.
*sniff*
Cleveland?
It first was a rumour dismissed as a lie, but then came the evidence none could deny:
a double page spread in the Sunday Express — the Russians are running the DHSS!

nezumi
Snowbonk
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: Flagshagging

Post by nezumi » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:33 pm

Rich Scopie wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:15 pm
nezumi wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:27 pm
I'm terribly depressed by the fact I can't find a flag for my area, we're not North Yorkshire and we're not Durham or anything either. I live in :cry: a flagless place :cry:

No flag.
Not even a sh.t flag.
No flag.
Flagless.
Bereft of flag.
*sniff*
Cleveland?
Not even exactly that either. Middlesbrough. It's in...Teesside and Cleveland and North Yorkshire and none of these at the same time.
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

User avatar
Little waster
Dorkwood
Posts: 1396
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am
Location: About 1 inch behind my eyes

Re: Flagshagging

Post by Little waster » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:51 pm

nezumi wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:33 pm
Rich Scopie wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:15 pm
nezumi wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:27 pm
I'm terribly depressed by the fact I can't find a flag for my area, we're not North Yorkshire and we're not Durham or anything either. I live in :cry: a flagless place :cry:

No flag.
Not even a sh.t flag.
No flag.
Flagless.
Bereft of flag.
*sniff*
Cleveland?
Not even exactly that either. Middlesbrough. It's in...Teesside and Cleveland and North Yorkshire and none of these at the same time.
Twinned with Bir Tawill and for much the same reason. ;)
It's meta, so it is allowed.

User avatar
mediocrity511
Fuzzable
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:16 pm

Re: Flagshagging

Post by mediocrity511 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:58 pm

nezumi wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:33 pm
Rich Scopie wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:15 pm
nezumi wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:27 pm
I'm terribly depressed by the fact I can't find a flag for my area, we're not North Yorkshire and we're not Durham or anything either. I live in :cry: a flagless place :cry:

No flag.
Not even a sh.t flag.
No flag.
Flagless.
Bereft of flag.
*sniff*
Cleveland?
Not even exactly that either. Middlesbrough. It's in...Teesside and Cleveland and North Yorkshire and none of these at the same time.
Probably Yorkshire when the flag was invented I'd guess?

User avatar
malbui
Fuzzable
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:25 am

Re: Flagshagging

Post by malbui » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:37 pm

The only flag I'd ever have been tempted to march behind is this one.
FlagOfKent.png
FlagOfKent.png (29.29 KiB) Viewed 456 times
But since the people decided to vote themselves down the toilet, bollocks. They can fight their own battles without me.
And when it starts to slide
Let it go
Leave it behind

raven
Fuzzable
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Re: Flagshagging

Post by raven » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:13 am

bagpuss wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:22 pm
And my birth/childhood county of Warwickshire is overrun with bears holding ragged staffs, obviously.

Image
Looks like that bear is auditioning for IpMan. (my childhood county too)

User avatar
Tessa K
After Pie
Posts: 1968
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Flagshagging

Post by Tessa K » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:18 am

raven wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:13 am
bagpuss wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:22 pm
And my birth/childhood county of Warwickshire is overrun with bears holding ragged staffs, obviously.

Image
Looks like that bear is auditioning for IpMan. (my childhood county too)
It's annoyed because someone hasn't put the dumbells back on the rack.

Blackcountryboy
Stargoon
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:44 pm
Location: Stourbridge

Re: Flagshagging

Post by Blackcountryboy » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:40 pm

TopBadger wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:37 pm
headshot wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:13 am
Vertigowooyay wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:01 pm
Bollocks to flags. They’re nasty little scraps of material that divide, not unite.
Yep. I’ve always said this. I particularly dislike regional flags in the UK. Another way to say “we’re better” that plays into division and exceptionalism.

I find the Black Country flag particularly egregious. Red, white and black and features chains that the area is famous for producing, but that also happen to have shackled slaves on the ships that imprisoned them. Any effort to educate the locals falls on deaf, or racist, ears. Even progressives here say it’s just a symbol of pride in the area’s history - they just can’t see how offensive it could be.

Image
I think the Black Country flag is awesome. I'm surprised its offensive to anyone. The colours and images are symbolic to its industrial past, reading further than that is going out of your way to find fault...

Is the Sunderland AFC badge offensive because it has a ship on it? Ships were used to transport slaves... should we get offended about shipping? Bonkers.
Top Badger I agree with you 100%.
The flag was designed by a 12-year-old girl. The Black and Red colours come from a phrase in a book written by the American Consul in Birmingham, Elihu Burritt, “The Black Country and its Green Environs”, a mixture of tourist guide and industrial spying. In it he describes the Black Country as “Black by Day and Red by Night”. The white cone shaped object in the centre of the flag represents the cones used in the glass industry, not sure what other colour you could make it, orange yellow green and blue – surly not. As it was a manufacturing area and chain was arguably its most famous product it was the obvious choice to have on the flag.
The only people who made any money from the manufacture of chain were the rich, some of whom were slave owners, (1st Earl of Dudley, one-time Foreign Secretary, for example) who cared less for the lives of their workers than their slaves; slaves had to be purchased, workers didn’t.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Light of Blast
Posts: 5465
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: nadir of brie

Re: Flagshagging

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:55 pm

I think it's quite obvious why using a chain that was used to shackle living humans being transported as slaves as a region's symbol could offend people. (The colours are obviously fine)

I can understand why a 12 year old might not join the dots, but adults should be able to.
He has the grace of a swan, the wisdom of an owl, and the eye of an eagle—ladies and gentlemen, this man is for the birds!

User avatar
headshot
Snowbonk
Posts: 564
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am

Re: Flagshagging

Post by headshot » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:12 pm

See? People here don’t see why it’s offensive.

My black friends from America were horrified by it when they visited.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Light of Blast
Posts: 5465
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: nadir of brie

Re: Flagshagging

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:36 pm

Yeah, England is still in denial about its role in slavery. The USA at least talks about it a lot. In the UK it might get a brief mention as an economic fact in a school history lesson, and then everyone tries not to think about it for the rest of their lives.
He has the grace of a swan, the wisdom of an owl, and the eye of an eagle—ladies and gentlemen, this man is for the birds!

User avatar
headshot
Snowbonk
Posts: 564
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am

Re: Flagshagging

Post by headshot » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:12 pm

Indeed. I’m always amused when people talk about Bristol’s “proud maritime history”.

User avatar
Gfamily
After Pie
Posts: 2363
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm
Location: NW England

Re: Flagshagging

Post by Gfamily » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:31 pm

Chains hold ships
Chains hold people

If they only did the one, it wouldn't be contentious; and, of course, some people are less aware of their varied use.

I have a collection of images of numbers - because 'numbers' are used in so many ways, and to signify so many things.

However, there are images of tattoos of numbers into human skin, that are just so far outside the range of things that I feel justified to include - that I won't.

An artist can do things - and what I am doing in my collection might be considered as 'art', but I don't consider my collection as 'art'; so I will not include such images in my collection
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

User avatar
malbui
Fuzzable
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:25 am

Re: Flagshagging

Post by malbui » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:48 am

veravista wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:01 am
I went, and stopped, in Boston once. Got punched in the mouth by a local as I was leaving a curry house. No idea why.
Back in the day Boston and Kettering were away games to miss. Up there with Millwall and Cardiff for sheer naked hostility inside and around the stadium.
And when it starts to slide
Let it go
Leave it behind

User avatar
TopBadger
Stargoon
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:33 pm
Location: Halfway up

Re: Flagshagging

Post by TopBadger » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:19 am

Perhaps I'm odd - but an image of a chain doesn't move my mind to thoughts about tying people up. If the Black Country flag featured an image of an actual shackle that would be different. But it doesn't.

Similarly - I don't find imagery of locks (a different subcomponent of what is required to restrain someone) offensive. Same goes for carabiners.
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

User avatar
headshot
Snowbonk
Posts: 564
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am

Re: Flagshagging

Post by headshot » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:59 am

TopBadger wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:19 am
Perhaps I'm odd - but an image of a chain doesn't move my mind to thoughts about tying people up. If the Black Country flag featured an image of an actual shackle that would be different. But it doesn't.

Similarly - I don't find imagery of locks (a different subcomponent of what is required to restrain someone) offensive. Same goes for carabiners.
Mmmm, but the chains forged in The Black Country *actually shackled slaves*. It's not some distant symbolic connection I'm making. The actual chains that shackled thousands of actual slaves are the main emblem on the flag of the region.

There are many symbols of industry. They could have used many other emblems that didn't have actual links (pun intended) to the slave trade.

Post Reply