Re: Mocking religion

Post by Woodchopper » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:22 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:35 pm
warumich wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:24 pm
shpalman wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:26 pm
Yeah I mean that stuff about god existing and all that, nobody believes that bit anymore.
Well fair enough, there'll be some fundamentals that most Christian denominations would agree on. Though I have my doubts about the Quakers
There's also the question of what individual members of churches actually believe. At least when people are surveyed fairly large proportions of Northern European Protestants don't appear to believe in god (for example among churchgoers and clergy in the Netherlands).
Or according to YouGov:

Amongst British Christians, just over half (56%) believe in the existence of God, whilst 16% believe in a higher power. One in ten (10%) of British Christians say they do not believe there is ‘a god’ or ‘a higher power’.
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/philosophy/ ... LQM3F8dT6Q

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:49 am

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:36 pm

Good news that Jesus approved of vaccination

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:46 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:36 pm
Good news that Jesus approved of vaccination
If Jesus had been any good, he'd have taught humanity about the germ theory of disease and maybe we'd have had vaccines a lot earlier.
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:02 pm

A pastor baptized people for decades using one wrong word. Now those are all considered invalid
Father Andres Arango, who performed thousands of baptisms, would say, "We baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." But Olmsted explained the words "We baptize" should have been "I baptize" instead.

"The issue with using 'We' is that it is not the community that baptizes a person, rather, it is Christ, and Him alone, who presides at all of the sacraments, and so it is Christ Jesus who baptizes," Olmsted wrote in a message to parishioners posted last month.
But it's not though is it it's the human doing it.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:52 pm

shpalman wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:02 pm
"The issue with using 'We' is that it is not the community that baptizes a person, rather, it is Christ, and Him alone, who presides at all of the sacraments, and so it is Christ Jesus who baptizes," Olmsted wrote in a message to parishioners posted last month.
But it's not though is it it's the human doing it.
I just read the reasons why, linked to in the article - clicky. Apparently, they worked this one out in the 13th Century. To be honest, it makes sense if you believe what Catholics believe (I don't). If you believe in transubstantiation and the Priest's role in it, you shouldn't have much trouble with this one.

I am finding it amusing though, it is a bit "You only had one job".

And The Archers has a storyline about not being baptised when you thought you were baptised going on at the moment. It's only Harrison though, I don't think they're going have to do a mass one in the Am.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:40 am

So did Jesus come out of the egg to tell us what the weather will be like for the summer?

people should get duct-taped to their seats for this b.llsh.t
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun May 08, 2022 9:59 am

A miracle has allowed the pope to keep moving around despite that his knee hurts.

Oh sorry, not a miracle. A wheelchair.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sun May 08, 2022 1:46 pm

jimbob wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 9:44 am
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... ew-zealand

A copy of the Wicked Bible has been discovered.

I first learned about the existence of this edition from Good Omens
Presumably God, in his infinite power, knowledge and wisdom, deliberately allowed the wicked bibles to be released. As such, they are clearly also the word of God.

Certainly plenty of evangelical Republicans take this to heart.