Boycotting companies

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: Boycotting companies

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:33 pm

I used to go to the local spoons a lot when I lived in Winchester and was working from "home" a lot. The library was always full of noisy kids and students taking up all the tables, whereas spoons was generally emptyish until lunchtime. I like to think that, by buying a 99p coffee with unlimited refills and staying a few hours using the wifi I was actually costing them money, but who knows.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:53 pm

Tory donors to boycott

Never mind whether it'll make a blind bit of difference, it's good to know what companies to avoid no matter what.
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:21 pm

nezumi wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:53 pm
Tory donors to boycott

Never mind whether it'll make a blind bit of difference, it's good to know what companies to avoid no matter what.
There are degrees, though. "Sainsbury's because their president made [presumably personal] donations to the Tories until 2017" --- so (a) maybe he's stopped making those donations (when does the amnesty for past crimes kick in?), (b) he's "President for Life" and presumably doesn't have much of a hands-on role (indeed, if he does show up at the office, I suspect the actual execs probably say "Yes yes John, thanks for that" and ignore him), and (c) I'm guessing that if you took the CEOs, chairs, and presidents of the FTSE-100 probably a great many of them have made personal donations to the Tories, so you'd need a consistent standard for that.

Similarly for sugar: To a first approximation it's a duopoly (Silver Spoon and Tate & Lyle), and they're both on the list, along with Billington's, who I'd never heard of. (Aside: ISTR that Remainers were all "Yay Silver Spoon" for a long time, because apparently Brexit is all a plot to allow nasty American cane sugar in to displace our proud British sugar beet, or something.)

But I will cancel my order for an Airbus first thing on Monday. :lol:
Something something hammer something something nail

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:19 pm

Not all party donations are political. BT, for instance, asks shareholders each year for permission to make such so they can book space at party conferences which count as pol donations.

I assume other large companies do the same.

[doesn't preclude some companies making a political donation as well]
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:51 am

nezumi wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:53 pm
Tory donors to boycott

I won't make any difference because it takes no account of how to apply force via threats etc. The businesses on that list know that one of two things will happen: either the whole thing will blow over with no consequences for them, or they'll be on that list forever regardless of what they do. So there's no incentive to do anything different.