Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: The end of cows?

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri May 13, 2022 9:46 am

basementer wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:36 pm
shpalman wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:11 pm
The mention of edamame just made me think of that recent South Park episode. Not sure what it's doing in that list.
Second Mention - the journalist, having written "soya" already in the same sentence, didn't want to call them "soy beans" .
Which is a bit silly, as edamame means "steamed beans" and specifically refers to cooked soya beans in the pod.

Still, can't expect journalists to check what they're writing.
Tree dwellers leaping out the boughs shouting «Get the paper»
Trunk hugging rebels chucking petals at a detonator

shpalman
Princess POW

Re: The end of cows?

Post by shpalman » Fri May 13, 2022 1:29 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:46 am
basementer wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:36 pm
shpalman wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:11 pm
The mention of edamame just made me think of that recent South Park episode. Not sure what it's doing in that list.
Second Mention - the journalist, having written "soya" already in the same sentence, didn't want to call them "soy beans" .
Which is a bit silly, as edamame means "steamed beans" and specifically refers to cooked soya beans in the pod.

Still, can't expect journalists to check what they're writing.
It's not as if a Guardian journalist wouldn't be very familiar with edamame, just not have asked him or herself what it actually was. But it was known 10 years ago that people who are allergic to birch pollen can have a reaction to soymilk but not "other soy products including tofu and edamame".

Meanwhile the supermarket gave me a couple of veggie burgers for free; I've practically converted to veggie burgers anyway but this was a different brand. They tasted a bit more "hammy".

* - I've tended to buy the "Unconventional" ones, these free ones were the Garden Gourmet "Sensational" ones.
molto tricky