Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: The end of cows?

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri May 13, 2022 9:46 am

basementer wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:36 pm
shpalman wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:11 pm
The mention of edamame just made me think of that recent South Park episode. Not sure what it's doing in that list.
Second Mention - the journalist, having written "soya" already in the same sentence, didn't want to call them "soy beans" .
Which is a bit silly, as edamame means "steamed beans" and specifically refers to cooked soya beans in the pod.

Still, can't expect journalists to check what they're writing.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri May 13, 2022 1:29 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:46 am
basementer wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:36 pm
shpalman wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:11 pm
The mention of edamame just made me think of that recent South Park episode. Not sure what it's doing in that list.
Second Mention - the journalist, having written "soya" already in the same sentence, didn't want to call them "soy beans" .
Which is a bit silly, as edamame means "steamed beans" and specifically refers to cooked soya beans in the pod.

Still, can't expect journalists to check what they're writing.
It's not as if a Guardian journalist wouldn't be very familiar with edamame, just not have asked him or herself what it actually was. But it was known 10 years ago that people who are allergic to birch pollen can have a reaction to soymilk but not "other soy products including tofu and edamame".

Meanwhile the supermarket gave me a couple of veggie burgers for free; I've practically converted to veggie burgers anyway but this was a different brand. They tasted a bit more "hammy".

* - I've tended to buy the "Unconventional" ones, these free ones were the Garden Gourmet "Sensational" ones.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:58 am

The dairy industry is feeling scared. Check out this wack-ass attempt at some culture wars b.llsh.t:
A sense of “feeling ashamed towards dairy in public” is putting some farmers on the brink of calling it quits, a major milk and cheese producer has claimed.

Arla Foods launched a campaign called ‘don’t cancel the cow’ in response to supply and demand pressures, including claims that younger people are avoiding dairy – and more likely to become vegan.
https://www.cityam.com/key-dairy-produc ... ing-costs/

Who would have thought that locking intelligent sociable animals in sheds, forcibly inseminating them, stealing and often killing the resultant offspring then pumping their nipples raw while consuming huge quantities of land and human-edible food and worsening the climate emergency was something a literate, empathetic generation might feel ashamed of.

Rich Scopie
Snowbonk

Post by Rich Scopie » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:11 am

I hope it's not the end of cows. That would put Bovine Descenders out of business!
It first was a rumour dismissed as a lie, but then came the evidence none could deny:
a double page spread in the Sunday Express — the Russians are running the DHSS!

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:27 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:58 am
The dairy industry is feeling scared. Check out this wack-ass attempt at some culture wars b.llsh.t:
A sense of “feeling ashamed towards dairy in public” is putting some farmers on the brink of calling it quits, a major milk and cheese producer has claimed.

Arla Foods launched a campaign called ‘don’t cancel the cow’ in response to supply and demand pressures, including claims that younger people are avoiding dairy – and more likely to become vegan.
https://www.cityam.com/key-dairy-produc ... ing-costs/

Who would have thought that locking intelligent sociable animals in sheds, forcibly inseminating them, stealing and often killing the resultant offspring then pumping their nipples raw while consuming huge quantities of land and human-edible food and worsening the climate emergency was something a literate, empathetic generation might feel ashamed of.
There will be attempt to using the words "milk" for anything not from a boob of some form. If they haven't already tried to do so already.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:07 pm

Banned in the EU 5 years ago https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40274645 and movements in the same direction in the US https://www.preparedfoods.com/articles/ ... l-lashings

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:11 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:07 pm
Banned in the EU 5 years ago https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40274645 and movements in the same direction in the US https://www.preparedfoods.com/articles/ ... l-lashings
It's happened with just about every veg*n version of food in the States - mayonaise, cheese, sausages, burgers...

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:09 pm

monkey wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:11 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
It's happened with just about every veg*n version of food in the States - mayonaise, cheese, sausages, burgers...
Which is why you can now buy "Almondmilk", "NOT MILK", "Chick'n", etc.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:07 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:09 pm
monkey wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
I was just coming back here to post this article from the other day a friend shared and have just seen. They posted with a comment like "The dairy industry and FDA think we're stupid.", which seems fair enough to me. No one buys nut milk because they think it's milk*, they buy it because they know it isn't.

clicky

*Alright, a few people probably have, but only because there's a lot of people. 1-in-a-million chance things are happening all the time.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:22 pm

monkey wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:07 pm
dyqik wrote:
monkey wrote:

I was just coming back here to post this article from the other day a friend shared and have just seen. They posted with a comment like "The dairy industry and FDA think we're stupid.", which seems fair enough to me. No one buys nut milk because they think it's milk*, they buy it because they know it isn't.

clicky

*Alright, a few people probably have, but only because there's a lot of people. 1-in-a-million chance things are happening all the time.
And yet the people who make nut milk think their consumers are so stupid that they won't know what it is if it changes to some other name.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:28 pm

shpalman wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:22 pm
monkey wrote:
dyqik wrote:

clicky

And yet the people who make nut milk think their consumers are so stupid that they won't know what it is if it changes to some other name.
I know what you mean. On the other hand it's a very convenient shorthand for "fluid used for cereal, hot beverages and baking". Terms like cheese/sausage/burger tell you about the intended purpose as well as (or, increasingly, instead of) ingredients.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:07 pm

shpalman wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:22 pm
monkey wrote:
dyqik wrote:

clicky

Yes, everyone will still know what they're buying, but having to change your branding isn't cost free, it's expensive, and an expense that could've been used to invest in growth instead*. And what if you are forced to change it to something that sounds less than appetising at the behest of the Big Cow Lobby?

*Of more nuts, presumably.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:21 pm

Less appetising? "Nut milk" already sounds like a profanisaurus entry for semen.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:56 am

It's an alternative to animal milk. It's been created to resemble animal milk. It seems reasonable to me to liken it to animal milk in word form.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:35 am

Or they could be called cow juice and nut juice.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:48 pm

And to be fair, milk itself is "a nutrient-rich liquid food produced by the mammary glands of mammals."

Seems a bit weird to say "I only want nutrient-rich liquid food if it was produced by the mammary glands of a mammal". (Unless you're an infant unable to digest solid food, and the mammal in question is your own species - but that's a rare edge case.)

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:44 pm

Milk of magnesia is so called because of its resemblance to milk, but no-one is likely to confuse the two. Maybe we should extend the same credit to consumers of nut milk.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:49 pm

Nobody is selling milk of magnesia as a competitor or substitute to animal milk.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:34 pm

shpalman wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:49 pm
Nobody is selling milk of magnesia as a competitor or substitute to animal milk.
But the linguistic point holds.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:53 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:34 pm
shpalman wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:49 pm
But the linguistic point holds.
I didn't accidentally put the last track on Garbage's eponymous first album on my oats this morning either.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:23 pm

Chambers dictionary says:
milk /milk/
noun
1: A white liquid secreted by female mammals for the nourishment of their young
2: A milklike juice or preparation

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:26 pm

"milklike" is a new word for me. That lkl combo must be unusual.

nekomatic
Dorkwood

Post by nekomatic » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:56 pm

folklore
walkline
er
caulkless
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through

Aitch
Snowbonk

Post by Aitch » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:54 pm

Bulkloader?
Some people call me strange.
I prefer unconventional.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept eccentric

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:56 pm

Isle of Wight Falkland Islands
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!