Online talks

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Fishnut
After Pie

Online talks

Post by Fishnut » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:20 pm

I know we have a thread for public science lectures online but thought I'd make one for non-science stuff that might be of interest.

Bristol Ideas (formerly Bristol Festival of Ideas) have just put up a talk with Amy Slipowitz called Why is Democracy in Decline and What Do We Do About It?. From the email blurb,
Amy Slipowitz (Research Manager for, and co-writer of, Freedom in the World 2021) takes us on a wide-ranging journey looking at the state of democracy in many countries, including China, Hong Kong, Belarus, Ethiopia, the UK, Russia, India. She explores the devastating impact the coronavirus response has had on global freedom and examines some good news stories from Malawi, Sudan, and Taiwan. She outlines what governments, civil society and individuals can do to protect and extend democracy as well as the need for an expanded role for civics education.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

nezumi
Dorkwood

Re: Online talks

Post by nezumi » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:30 pm

Interesting stuff, thanks :D
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

Cardinal Fang
Snowbonk

Re: Online talks

Post by Cardinal Fang » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:28 pm

Skeptics in the Pub Online yesterday had Imran Ahmed, the founding CEO of the Center for Countering Digital Hate. Very, very interesting talk. And quite scary as well at times

Would highly recommend catching up with it when it goes up on the Skeptics in the Pub Online YouTube channel on Sunday

CF