Journal of controversial ideas

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Grumble
Light of Blast

Re: Journal of controversial ideas

Post by Grumble » Mon May 24, 2021 3:03 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 3:01 pm
At great risk to my personal safety I'm going to say I really don't get Bob Dylan. I've tried but I hate his voice and it's only the video for Subterranean Homesick Blues that makes it interesting. <runs away and hides>
Someone notable (but I was told this anecdote by my father in law and have forgotten who it was) said he loved any Bob Dylan song, as long as it was sung by anyone other than Bob Dylan.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Mon May 24, 2021 3:07 pm

Tessa K wrote:
At great risk to my personal safety I'm going to say I really don't get Bob Dylan. I've tried but I hate his voice and it's only the video for Subterranean Homesick Blues that makes it interesting. <runs away and hides>
His songwriting is fine, is singing is execrable. One of my BFFs from highschool loves Dylan beyond compare (to the point of seeing every show in Sydney and Melbourne that Dylan put on while touring Australia), I've never been able to admit it to him.

basementer
Dorkwood

Post by basementer » Mon May 24, 2021 3:31 pm

Tessa K wrote:
You know that's Allen Ginsberg in the background, I hope?
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

snoozeofreason
Snowbonk

Post by snoozeofreason » Mon May 24, 2021 7:28 pm

I have no strong opinions about Marmite. If we didn't have any other spread in the house, and the alternative was dry toast, I'd probably eat some. But on the other hand, I'd never buy it for myself, and I don't think I'd notice if they stopped making it.
In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them. The human body was knocked up pretty late on the Friday afternoon, with a deadline looming. How well do you expect it to work?

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Mon May 24, 2021 7:50 pm

Grumble wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 3:03 pm
Tessa K wrote:
Someone notable (but I was told this anecdote by my father in law and have forgotten who it was) said he loved any Bob Dylan song, as long as it was sung by anyone other than Bob Dylan.
Totally agree.

I can't stand the singing of Bryan Ferry, David Bowie or Benjamin Britten either.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

bmforre
Snowbonk

Post by bmforre » Tue May 25, 2021 8:59 am

Boustrophedon wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 7:50 pm
I can't stand the singing of ... Benjamin Britten either.
How about Glenn Gould?

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue May 25, 2021 9:24 am

bmforre wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:59 am
Boustrophedon wrote:
How about Glenn Gould?
Hmmm
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

basementer
Dorkwood

Post by basementer » Tue May 25, 2021 9:38 am

Gfamily wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:24 am
bmforre wrote:
Boustrophedon wrote:
How about Glenn Gould?
Hmmm
It's noticeable that Keith Jarrett is like that in his improvised piano work, but yet he recorded the Goldberg Variations and the Shostakovich Preludes and Fugues gruntlessly.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue May 25, 2021 9:47 am

Possibly controversial opinion. Keith Jarret's The Köln Concert is very over rated.

Yes, it has some pleasant moments. But it goes on and on and is self indulgent. The good bits could probably have been distilled into three or four much shorter tracks.

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Tue May 25, 2021 10:05 am

bmforre wrote:
Boustrophedon wrote:
How about Glenn Gould?
No idea, not heard of him, he would seem to be a pianist, did he sing?
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue May 25, 2021 10:53 am

Boustrophedon wrote:
Grumble wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 3:03 pm
Tessa K wrote:
Totally agree.

I can't stand the singing of Bryan Ferry, David Bowie or Benjamin Britten either.
I disagree about the first two, don't know about the third.

I would add Amy Winehouse's voice to the list although the songs are OK. To me it sounds like she's about to be sick all the time.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue May 25, 2021 11:19 am

snoozeofreason wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 7:28 pm
I have no strong opinions about Marmite. If we didn't have any other spread in the house, and the alternative was dry toast, I'd probably eat some. But on the other hand, I'd never buy it for myself, and I don't think I'd notice if they stopped making it.
Believers: "Burn the Agnostic!"
Unbelievers: "Have you tried feeding them hemlock instead of burning?"

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue May 25, 2021 12:30 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 11:19 am
snoozeofreason wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 7:28 pm
Believers: "Burn the Agnostic!"
Unbelievers: "Have you tried feeding them hemlock instead of burning?"
Hemlock would be more environmentally friendly.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Tue May 25, 2021 1:33 pm

Tessa K wrote:
That's only controversial in that it's entirely uncontroversial. Most overrated musician/songwriter ever.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue May 25, 2021 1:41 pm

tom p wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 1:33 pm
Tessa K wrote:
That's only controversial in that it's entirely uncontroversial. Most overrated musician/songwriter ever.
I disagree. He's a great song writer. He's second only to Lennon and McCartney for the number of other artists that have covered his work. It might not be to your taste, but it is very popular.

But Dylan is the one artist for whom the covers are reliably better than the original. He was never any good as a singer or guitarist.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Tue May 25, 2021 1:56 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 1:41 pm
tom p wrote:
Tessa K wrote:
I disagree. He's a great song writer. He's second only to Lennon and McCartney for the number of other artists that have covered his work. It might not be to your taste, but it is very popular.

But Dylan is the one artist for whom the covers are reliably better than the original. He was never any good as a singer or guitarist.
I didn't say he was bad, just overrated. He was awarded the Nobel prize for literature, and yet his songs are just kind of OK. Well, some of them are. Many are just word salad, and there are very many far better songwriters around. I think that the reason he's so covered is (a) age & (b) any cover is pretty much guaranteed to be better than the original (unless it's a primary school class playing blowing in the wind on recorders).

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue May 25, 2021 2:59 pm

tom p wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 1:56 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 1:41 pm
tom p wrote:

I didn't say he was bad, just overrated. He was awarded the Nobel prize for literature, and yet his songs are just kind of OK. Well, some of them are. Many are just word salad, and there are very many far better songwriters around. I think that the reason he's so covered is (a) age & (b) any cover is pretty much guaranteed to be better than the original (unless it's a primary school class playing blowing in the wind on recorders).
The best version of Blowin in the Wind (and great images):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcynRnI7uAo

causan_dux
Sindis Poop

Post by causan_dux » Tue May 25, 2021 3:04 pm

tom p wrote:
his songs are just kind of OK. Well, some of them are. Many are just word salad, and there are very many far better songwriters around.
OK tom p, so I had a word with Robert Z, who obviously knows of your reputation as a critic. He takes on board what you say and will try to do better next time. He just wishes you could have got this information to him earlier, given his age and the number of songs already under his belt.

I suggested he might like to adapt the lyrics of a better songwriter to some of his tunes and we discussed whether

Where the hood, where the hood, where the hood at?/Have that ***** in the cut, where the wood at?/Oh, them ****** actin up? Where the wolves at?/You better bust that if you gon' pull that

might enhance the melody of All Along the Watchtower. Ultimately, we felt that song's virulent homophobia wasn't really Robert's thing, although we know you are very fond of the late performer.

I said I'd report back to you. In parting, he said perhaps you would give Idiot Wind a second listen as he felt it might have something to say to you.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue May 25, 2021 3:09 pm

I think that captions for figures in papers and reports should be above the figure not below.

Especially if you're reading an online report and the captions are cross-referenced as you tend to jump to the caption at the top of the screen, so the figure would be above the top.

But even if not online. Do you look above Chapter 5 for the story in Chapter 5?
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue May 25, 2021 3:13 pm

I just looked it up and lots of Dylan songs were based on traditional ones. There's nothing wrong with doing this and he's not alone but to me that undermines his originality. But then, I am biased and I don't care.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_B ... lier_tunes

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue May 25, 2021 4:31 pm

jimbob wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 3:09 pm
I think that captions for figures in papers and reports should be above the figure not below.

Especially if you're reading an online report and the captions are cross-referenced as you tend to jump to the caption at the top of the screen, so the figure would be above the top.

But even if not online. Do you look above Chapter 5 for the story in Chapter 5?
I scroll through to find the interesting figures, then scroll down to see what the figure is about.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Tue May 25, 2021 4:49 pm

causan_dux wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 3:04 pm
tom p wrote:
his songs are just kind of OK. Well, some of them are. Many are just word salad, and there are very many far better songwriters around.
OK tom p, so I had a word with Robert Z, who obviously knows of your reputation as a critic. He takes on board what you say and will try to do better next time. He just wishes you could have got this information to him earlier, given his age and the number of songs already under his belt.

I suggested he might like to adapt the lyrics of a better songwriter to some of his tunes and we discussed whether

Where the hood, where the hood, where the hood at?/Have that ***** in the cut, where the wood at?/Oh, them ****** actin up? Where the wolves at?/You better bust that if you gon' pull that

might enhance the melody of All Along the Watchtower. Ultimately, we felt that song's virulent homophobia wasn't really Robert's thing, although we know you are very fond of the late performer.

I said I'd report back to you. In parting, he said perhaps you would give Idiot Wind a second listen as he felt it might have something to say to you.
You seem to have mistaken me for a fan of DMX, rather than an enemy of boorish loudmouthed arrogant ignorance.

Either way, as a (former) born-again Christian, the poor man's Woody Guthrie (a greater songwriter, and one who could actually sing) is something of a fellow traveler with homophobes, so whilst he might not like such lyrics, I doubt he'd always have bridled at virulent homophobia.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue May 25, 2021 8:12 pm

Boustrophedon wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:05 am
bmforre wrote:
Boustrophedon wrote:
How about Glenn Gould?
No idea, not heard of him, he would seem to be a pianist, did he sing?
I assume the reference is to the extraneous vocal noises Gould made while performing at piano, kind of humming along with himself, which are unfortunately all too audible on some of his recordings.

It's not a unique failing. A reasonably well-known English conductor has the habit of making percussive ch-ch-ch type noises in time with the music as he conducts. So it's not a good idea to sit too close to the front at his concerts.

I'm not aware of Benjamin Britten singing, nor can I think of anything this is a joke reference to. Maybe there is a confusion with Peter Pears.

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Tue May 25, 2021 9:28 pm

Bacon. Can't stand it, can't stand the smell of it, can't even look at it in a supermarket.
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue May 25, 2021 10:00 pm

I hope at least some of you are planning to write up these submissions for the journal in question.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.