New European Super League

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
lpm
Junior Mod

New European Super League

Post by lpm » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:54 am

As you will have seen, some top posters on Scrutable are breaking away to form a Super Forum with select European posters. This will enrich us greatly and presumably the wealth will trickle down to the rest of you some how. And don't worry: every Saturday we'll return to post comments to some of you lesser Scrutineers (although maybe with a second XI as obviously we'll want to keep our best posts for the proper forum).

Here's the ownership/control, in rough order of corruption levels:

Chelsea: Russian fossil fuel oligarchy
Man City: Abu Dhabi fossil fuel oligarchy
Inter Milan: Chinese billionaire
Juventus: Agnelli family billionaires
Tottenham: British billionaire tax exiles
Man Utd: American sporting conglomerate
Liverpool: American sporting conglomerate
Arsenal: American sporting conglomerate
AC Milan: American investment fund
Atletico Madrid: Spanish millionaire
Real Madrid: supporters
Barcelona: supporters
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Re: New European Super League

Post by Lew Dolby » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:40 am

Aaargh - too late to grab a sceenshot !!

France 24 just had a reporter outside the ground of one of the English clubs. Caption read "Chelsea, Royaume Uni"

Background clearly showed the ground and shop with a ginormous sign readin ARSENAL.
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:38 pm

lpm wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:54 am
As you will have seen, some top posters on Scrutable are breaking away to form a Super Forum with select European posters. This will enrich us greatly and presumably the wealth will trickle down to the rest of you some how. And don't worry: every Saturday we'll return to post comments to some of you lesser Scrutineers (although maybe with a second XI as obviously we'll want to keep our best posts for the proper forum).

Here's the ownership/control, in rough order of corruption levels:

Chelsea: Russian fossil fuel oligarchy
Man City: Abu Dhabi fossil fuel oligarchy
Inter Milan: Chinese billionaire
Juventus: Agnelli family billionaires
Tottenham: British billionaire tax exiles
Man Utd: American sporting conglomerate
Liverpool: American sporting conglomerate
Arsenal: American sporting conglomerate
AC Milan: American investment fund
Atletico Madrid: Spanish millionaire
Real Madrid: supporters
Barcelona: supporters
I think Real are involved with quite a lot of mutual back scratching with the King of Spain?

temptar
Fuzzable

Post by temptar » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:08 pm

Twitter insufferable as a result.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:14 pm

Lew Dolby wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:40 am
Aaargh - too late to grab a sceenshot !!

France 24 just had a reporter outside the ground of one of the English clubs. Caption read "Chelsea, Royaume Uni"

Background clearly showed the ground and shop with a ginormous sign readin ARSENAL.
Does it matter?

It's now just the same content in different packaging. Who cares if it's red not blue.

Football will be like car brands: Skoda and Seat and VW and Audi and Porsche all have shared frames and engines, they are just built a bit different with different branding. They aren't genuinely acting in competition. The football brands will find their niches and won't need to compete with each other.

The France 24 error is nothing more than seeing a Skoda SUV and mistakenly calling it a Seat SUV, but actually the only real difference was the badge on the front.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:33 pm

plodder wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:38 pm

I think Real are involved with quite a lot of mutual back scratching with the King of Spain?
I hadn't realized that Ashley Giles had moved over to soccer from cricket.

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:59 pm

Thats a very cynical attitude lpm. The modern football consumer has significant brand loyalty and will only consider switching after at least two to three disappointing seasons. With such bitterness you probably follow the Evertons or some other minor league outfit.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:38 pm

I'm interested* in the general question of whether this is something that the government should have any role in allowing or preventing.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... eague-plan

* not particularly because it involves football, more on the principles of government and whether this represents over-reach.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:42 pm

noggins wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:59 pm
With such bitterness you probably follow the Evertons or some other minor league outfit.
Everton has a merchandise outlet in the Liverpool One shopping centre in the centre of the city - they've called their shop "Everton Two" as the overall address is amusing.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:24 pm

I'm pretty sure that this is just a shot across the bows of UEFA, to ensure they go ahead with their planned stupid ruining of the champions league to get more money for poorly-run famous clubs like Juventus, and don't back down in the face of all sense.
Allegedly serious & well-developed plans for a european superleague have been released twice before, each time just as UEFA were discussing changes to the European cup (and then champions league) format.
I think it's fair to say that this is not a song played often in UEFA's HQ, even though it clearly should be (though I suspect that the new boss, who is not entirely dissimilar to the old boss, would disapprove)

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:22 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:38 pm
I'm interested* in the general question of whether this is something that the government should have any role in allowing or preventing.

* not particularly because it involves football, more on the principles of government and whether this represents over-reach.
Well, post-Brexit there's certainly some work permitting and taxation related issues to deal with...

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:40 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:38 pm

If it has broad appeal its unlikely to be seen as over-reach. It's only unpopular stuff that gets slapped down as over-reach.
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:12 pm

I haven't checked if fans of any of the clubs involved are still referring to their preferred club as "we" in all this.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:24 pm

One thing you can guarantee is that Spurs will never win it.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:25 pm

Football is a dollar's way of making another dollar.

(I always assumed that was a well-known idiom, but Gurgle suggests not. I got it from Nick Lowe's description of movies in Interzone, circa 1990.)

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:10 pm

Sciolus wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:25 pm

(I always assumed that was a well-known idiom, but Gurgle suggests not. I got it from Nick Lowe's description of movies in Interzone, circa 1990.)
Generally a dollar can't make another dollar. You need to start with a few million to make thousands, and a billion to make a billion. Basically, you need to start with enough to carve out exceptions to tax laws and to scare relevant authorities and regulators with your legal team.

The billion version is the version of the idiom I know.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:57 am

Sciolus wrote:

Football is a loss-making enterprise.
It's only profitable for agents, top players & scum like the Glazers who use financial shenanigans to gut one of the only profitable clubs.
for everyone else, it's a pound's way to lose a pound (or dollar, euro, peso, etc)

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:21 pm

tom p wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:57 am
Sciolus wrote:

It's only profitable for agents, top players & scum like the Glazers who use financial shenanigans to gut one of the only profitable clubs.
for everyone else, it's a pound's way to lose a pound (or dollar, euro, peso, etc)
Indeed, whilst legal and apparently not corrupt (though it has an air of it), the fact that the Glazers were able to get finance to buy Manchester United's shares using the club's assets which they didn't yet own as security is f.cking insane and should've been illegal*.

*I may have portions of this wrong but that was my understanding at the time
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:07 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:21 pm
tom p wrote:
Sciolus wrote:

Indeed, whilst legal and apparently not corrupt (though it has an air of it), the fact that the Glazers were able to get finance to buy Manchester United's shares using the club's assets which they didn't yet own as security is f.cking insane and should've been illegal*.

No, you have it right. Both factually and morally.

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:50 pm

No no no

Its tough f.cking sh.t for floating on the stock market in the first place.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:52 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
tom p wrote:
Sciolus wrote:

I got a loan to buy my flat by putting up the flat I didn't yet own as security for the loan. I'm not sure you could criminalise the Glazers' actions without abolishing mortgages.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:55 pm

JQH wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:52 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:

I got a loan to buy my flat by putting up the flat I didn't yet own as security for the loan. I'm not sure you could criminalise the Glazers' actions without abolishing mortgages.
In practice, it's fairly easy to avoid that problem, as real estate has a very different legal status to a publicly traded corporation.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:08 pm

Many years ago, Chesterfield went through an interesting period:

Hello, I'd like to buy your club

Great

Thing is, at the moment my sports empire hasn't got enough cash, can you lend me the money please

No problem

The deal went through, as obviously the Football League confirmed he was a fit and proper person to own a football club

The guy was later sent to prison for fraud

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:41 pm

Well, it would appear that of the twelve clubs, Chelsea and Man City are the two with the deftest conscience.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:29 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:41 pm
Well, it would appear that of the twelve clubs, Chelsea and Man City are the two with the deftest conscience.
And Chelsea are pulling out because it might affect their community programme.

Bless.