Arron Banks leaks

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
mikeh
Fuzzable

Arron Banks leaks

Post by mikeh » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:54 pm

#arronbanksleaks is all over twitter. Haven't yet got the hang of the detail, or indeed what can be said (mods if you need to do your thang with this, then please do).
But seems Bank's twitter account has been hacked and therein lies juicy goodies. Could be an explosive set of news items coming out of the BBC Channel 4 in the days to come, if initial excitement is matched with the content.

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Re: Arron Banks leaks

Post by GeenDienst » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:27 pm

Disappointing. From the title I was hoping it was going to be from a puncture wound.
Just tell 'em I'm broke and don't come round here no more.

Nero
Clardic Fug

Post by Nero » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Loads of claims going around that it's a fake leak, with people posting fake screen grabs of various Banks messages just to create noise. God knows how credible it is, but I do hope that one of our better news organisations are trawling through this.

See here for an example, from a Guardian editor:

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson?ref_src ... r%5Eauthor

Nero
Clardic Fug

Post by Nero » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:52 pm

Missed the edit Window:
Ray Walsh of privacy website ProPrivacy warned sharing the contents of the alleged private messages could be a criminal offence unless there is deemed to be a public interest.

He said: "Revelations coming out of the Arron Banks data breach are already causing a massive stir on Twitter due to the shocking revelations they contain of Banks' alleged personal messages.However, the hacked data, which was illegally taken from Banks' private Twitter communications, will remain illegal to publish, comment on, and disseminate, unless it is decided that the contents are in the public interest.

"If the contents of the hacks contain information that could be deemed to be in the public interest, then it seems likely that media outlets will seek legal advice and decide to publish in the coming days.

"Members of the general public who download the hacked files are reminded that disseminating and commenting on these materials could be deemed as a prosecutable offence.

"Citizens need to understand that anything they publish on social media from the data breach could potentially lead to legal action under the Data Protection Act.
As this is a new nice shiny place maybe this thread should be deleted, and picked up at a future date?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:54 pm

There's absolutely nothing here that I can see that would fall foul of any law. Nothing goes beyond the statement you just quoted, after all.

Nero
Clardic Fug

Post by Nero » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:58 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:54 pm
There's absolutely nothing here that I can see that would fall foul of any law. Nothing goes beyond the statement you just quoted, after all.
Yep, agreed. We haven't shared or discussed any content on the "leak/hack" so all should be good, but sailing fairly close to the wind. Winds can be funny things

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:05 pm

Nero wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:58 pm
dyqik wrote:
Yep, agreed. We haven't shared or discussed any content on the "leak/hack" so all should be good, but sailing fairly close to the wind. Winds can be funny things
No, there's nothing close to the wind about this thread. It's repeating news spread in tweets by the editors of major media outlets.

greyspoke
Fuzzable

Post by greyspoke » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:44 pm

Minor correction - it doesn't have to have been "decided on" that publication is in the public interest, it just has to be in the public interest, and if it is, that will provide a defence. You just have to back your judgment on it and publish. And be damned.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:45 pm

greyspoke wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:44 pm
Minor correction - it doesn't have to have been "decided on" that publication is in the public interest, it just has to be in the public interest, and if it is, that will provide a defence. You just have to back your judgment on it and publish. And be damned.
Interesting, I wondered about that aspect.
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:50 pm

Thanks everyone for avoiding possible libel issues.

I don’t see a problem in discussing the existence of an alleged hack.

But best to avoid repeating actual allegations or hacked messages on this board. The situation regarding public interest etc may be clarified in the courts before too long.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:58 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:05 pm
Nero wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:58 pm
dyqik wrote:
No, there's nothing close to the wind about this thread. It's repeating news spread in tweets by the editors of major media outlets.
Aye, this thread is not even in the doldrums. It's still in the boathouse, tied to the dock & the sail hasn't yet been unfurled. And it's not even a boat, it's a small hippopotamus wearing a poncho.

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:03 pm

Sounds like while there’s some juicy stuff in there, there’s already fake messages cropping up online as well, which dilute everything and taints any good evidence. f.cking infuriating.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:10 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:03 pm
Sounds like while there’s some juicy stuff in there, there’s already fake messages cropping up online as well, which dilute everything and taints any good evidence. f.cking infuriating.
And quite possibly a deliberate tactic.

mikeh
Fuzzable

Post by mikeh » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:31 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:10 pm
Vertigowooyay wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:03 pm
And quite possibly a deliberate tactic.
Surely so. From what I saw, there was nothing tweeted that really hammers Banks yet. An insult or two about portions of the UK population, and a possible wastage of money from a politician, but all rather mild in the grand scheme of things. Though Carole Cadwalladr, Guardian journo who has been the target of a vast amount of hate because she has investigated Bank and friends in the past, hinted there are explosive things within.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:40 pm

mikeh wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:31 pm
[snip]

Surely so. From what I saw, there was nothing tweeted that really hammers Banks yet. An insult or two about portions of the UK population, and a possible wastage of money from a politician, but all rather mild in the grand scheme of things. Though Carole Cadwalladr, Guardian journo who has been the target of a vast amount of hate because she has investigated Bank and friends in the past, hinted there are explosive things within.
I was amused by her "Thoughts & Prayers" tweet to Andy Wigmore over his complaints over the lack of speed from Twitter and the Met in dealing with complaints about the hack and spread of information.

username
Clardic Fug

Post by username » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:33 pm

Illegal to comment on...hmmm.
The half-truths, repeated, authenticated themselves.