British food heritage

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Tessa K
Light of Blast

Re: British food heritage

Post by Tessa K » Sat May 08, 2021 7:36 am

I was very disappointed last year when A Finger of Fudge got much smaller.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Sat May 08, 2021 7:49 am

I've been too busy to be on the forum much this week but I've just caught up with the thread and have a few things to say:

Sausage rolls are f.cking brilliant.

Mrs PD is fond of a bit of pork in cider.

Thanks for the book recommendations. Not sure if I'll get them as it's taken me two years to not quite finish the book I'm currently reading, but I will think about it.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sat May 08, 2021 8:01 am

For some reason when I couldn't get to sleep last night, I was thinking about quiche v flan. I don't know which came first or if they evolved independently but it has been around since the Middle Ages so it does count as English. It's a good one for parties, picnics etc as it can be made in advance with any number of things in it (and ready-made pastry if needs be). I once had a vegan one which just about worked, a bit soft in texture.

(The difference: https://www.askdifference.com/quiche-vs ... egetables.)

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat May 08, 2021 8:05 am

Tessa K wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:01 am
For some reason when I couldn't get to sleep last night, I was thinking about quiche v flan. I don't know which came first or if they evolved independently but it has been around since the Middle Ages so it does count as English. It's a good one for parties, picnics etc as it can be made in advance with any number of things in it (and ready-made pastry if needs be). I once had a vegan one which just about worked, a bit soft in texture.

Now I want some flan (or quiche) suggestions...
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sat May 08, 2021 8:54 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:49 am

Mrs PD is fond of a bit of pork in cider.
Very droll
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sat May 08, 2021 3:38 pm

jimbob wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:05 am
Tessa K wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:01 am

Now I want some flan (or quiche) suggestions...
Pretty much anything you fancy of veg, meat and dairy. Just think of your favourite pizza topping and put it in a flan.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sat May 08, 2021 3:56 pm

This probably doesn't qualify as British food but I made this a few weeks ago and it was delicious, more than the sum of its parts: https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/roast-vegetable-tart I don't make pastry stuff very often so I'm not privy to all the tips and tricks, so not sure if the onion on the bottom thing is a common method but either way it's a good one.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sat May 08, 2021 4:06 pm

discovolante wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:56 pm
This probably doesn't qualify as British food but I made this a few weeks ago and it was delicious, more than the sum of its parts: https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/roast-vegetable-tart I don't make pastry stuff very often so I'm not privy to all the tips and tricks, so not sure if the onion on the bottom thing is a common method but either way it's a good one.
you can even top with a scattering of pumpkin seeds for a more luxurious look
That's an interesting take on 'luxurious'. :D

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sat May 08, 2021 4:16 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:06 pm
discovolante wrote:
Hahaha! At least he doesn't go down the Anna Jones path of 'if you're really hungry, you can have a few pieces of pasta with your pasta sauce rather than courgetti' :evil:

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat May 08, 2021 10:28 pm

discovolante wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:16 pm
Tessa K wrote:
discovolante wrote:
Hahaha! At least he doesn't go down the Anna Jones path of 'if you're really hungry, you can have a few pieces of pasta with your pasta sauce rather than courgetti' :evil:
My eldest daughter was quite excited about using "sea spaghetti" in a meal the other day - she's working on the island of Handa for 5 months and sent me a video of it cooking

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sun May 09, 2021 10:58 am

jimbob wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:28 pm
discovolante wrote:
Tessa K wrote:

My eldest daughter was quite excited about using "sea spaghetti" in a meal the other day - she's working on the island of Handa for 5 months and sent me a video of it cooking
Given what a sea cucumber is, I'm not sure I want to know more...

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun May 09, 2021 11:09 am

discovolante wrote:
Calling spaghetti made from courgettes "courgetti" offends me on two or three levels and I'm not even a real Italian.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sun May 09, 2021 12:07 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 11:09 am
discovolante wrote:
Calling spaghetti made from courgettes "courgetti" offends me on two or three levels and I'm not even a real Italian.
I'm not even a pretend Italian and it offends me

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun May 09, 2021 12:13 pm

And so it should.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sun May 09, 2021 12:17 pm

]
Tessa K wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:58 am
jimbob wrote:
discovolante wrote:

Given what a sea cucumber is, I'm not sure I want to know more...
SmartSelect_20210509-131603_WhatsApp.jpg
SmartSelect_20210509-131603_WhatsApp.jpg (432.77 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
And no, I didn't know either
SmartSelect_20210509-131942_WhatsApp.jpg
SmartSelect_20210509-131942_WhatsApp.jpg (691.86 KiB) Viewed 1925 times

basementer
Dorkwood

Post by basementer » Sun May 09, 2021 3:39 pm

discovolante wrote:
"Yotam Ottolenghi" is an anagram of "Ole! Tomato thingy".
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sun May 09, 2021 4:19 pm

jimbob wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:07 pm
shpalman wrote:
discovolante wrote:
I'm not even a pretend Italian and it offends me
Why can't they just call it courgette worms? I've tried 'noodles' made from butternut squash and they were fine but I would have preferred them to be called ginger worms. After all, vermicelli means little worms.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun May 09, 2021 4:50 pm

Spaghetti comes from "little strings" and anyway in Italian courgettes are zucchini.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

nekomatic
Dorkwood

Post by nekomatic » Sun May 09, 2021 11:32 pm

jimbob wrote:
I don’t like to, er, pour cold water on her discovery but you can buy it in packets here.
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon May 10, 2021 8:26 pm

shpalman wrote:
discovolante wrote:
Is this how you make them?
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue May 11, 2021 10:43 am

shpalman wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:26 pm
shpalman wrote:
discovolante wrote:
Is this how you make them?
Brilliant!

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Mon May 17, 2021 7:06 pm

A friend of mine once said to me that he only eats traditional British food such as Italian, Chinese, Indian and Middle Eastern. No weird or fancy stuff for him.

There is something to this idea of Italian and Indian, at least, being traditional British food. We've been borrowing from around the world for a long time, though we may not have noticed every case. There is a recipe that is recognisably lasagne in the first known English cookery book, The Forme of Cury, c 1390. (Though there isn't actually any curry in the book, cury was an early word for cookery, allied to French cuire. But this usage may explain why the English were receptive to adopting the word curry to mean a made-up spicy dish when they later encountered it in southern India.) The lasagne-like recipe is called something like loseynes, and involves layers of flat pasta separated by cheese sauce. And that also demonstrates that pasta has long been eaten in Britain, though it only became food of the masses relatively recently.

Perhaps the first Indian-origin dish in Britain was the Cornish pasty, though food historians have to whisper it very quietly, especially in the SW. It is actually a Cornwallised samosa, albeit that it arrived indirectly via a chain of adaptations. Said historians believe the Cornish adopted the pasty from visiting Galician fishermen, around 500 years ago. Similar pasties are attested in Spain several hundred years before that. Anyone who has ever had a Chilean or Argentinean empanada al horno, also based on the Galician original, will recognise how similar it is to a Cornish pasty. The Spanish got pasties from the Arabs, who ruled them for several hundred years. And the Arabs got them from the Indians, who they intermittently conquered while spreading Islam far and wide across Asia. And around there, the pasty was a samosa.

So there's how we've been eating Indian and Italian food in Britain for a surprisingly long time.

Curiously, as it may now seem, early cookbooks indicate that mediaeval and early modern English recipes - at least for the well-off who could afford it - are rather flavoursome and spicy in comparison to what later became standard British bland fare. Blandness in British food was a tendency that came in with the Victorians, and possibly allied to the rapid expansion of the middle class in that period. The nouveau middle class were encouraged by household manuals to boil their food to death to avoid risk of disease.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Mon May 17, 2021 7:45 pm

IvanV wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:06 pm
There is something to this idea of Italian and Indian, at least, being traditional British food. We've been borrowing from around the world for a long time, though we may not have noticed every case. There is a recipe that is recognisably lasagne in the first known English cookery book, The Forme of Cury, c 1390. (Though there isn't actually any curry in the book, cury was an early word for cookery, allied to French cuire. But this usage may explain why the English were receptive to adopting the word curry to mean a made-up spicy dish when they later encountered it in southern India.) The lasagne-like recipe is called something like loseynes, and involves layers of flat pasta separated by cheese sauce. And that also demonstrates that pasta has long been eaten in Britain, though it only became food of the masses relatively recently.
I’ve made that very recipe a while ago, it basically tasted like a cheesy lasagne and was nothing at all unusual.

dr_S
Fuzzable

Post by dr_S » Wed May 19, 2021 4:05 pm

This one you're talking about?
https://youtu.be/CilkAVJLBUY
Don't know if the link works as I'm on the phone. (Otherwise, just go to YouTube and search for " tasting history Max Miller English lasagne")
I haven't watched this episode yet, but this is usually a great channel for weird historical recipes from many places and quite a lot of them are English.