Denied Critical Illness Cover (Any Advice?)

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
headshot
Dorkwood

Denied Critical Illness Cover (Any Advice?)

Post by headshot » Fri May 14, 2021 9:31 am

We've bought a new house so took out life insurance with critical illness - the insurers have denied me cover for critical illness.

Something my doctor has told them has done this...yet as far as I know my doctor considers me a reasonably fit and healthy 44 year old.

I've had some weird symptoms in the last 5-6 years that have led me to getting some neurological and other tests (MRI, blood tests etc).

I have very slightly high cholesterol and lipids (BMI of 26) which is managed by diet and exercise, but I'm currently part of a lipid clinic and will be discharged in September if I keep up the progress. My neurological tests came back with no issues and I was discharged. I have a duodenal ulcer which gives me some heartburn every month or two if I overdo it.

I put a lot of my symptoms down to stress (mum had terminal cancer and died, redundancy, Brexit, Covid etc). But I consider myself healthy, with a decent diet and no major issues - went for a comfortable 6k run this morning...

What can I do about this? Is there any recourse to discuss this with my doctor. I rarely see the same doctor twice at my practice and the person writing the report is one I last had contact with 3-4 years ago. What the hell have they written to the insurer that they haven't told me???

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Re: Denied Critical Illness Cover (Any Advice?)

Post by Woodchopper » Fri May 14, 2021 10:02 am

Your first step could be to ask your doctor for a copy of the report they sent to the life insurance company. It might have contained an error etc.

You can ask for details of personal data held about you by the life insurance company. Their web site should have instructions on how to do that. You can demand that they rectify any errors.

headshot
Dorkwood

Re: Denied Critical Illness Cover (Any Advice?)

Post by headshot » Fri May 14, 2021 11:25 am

OK. I've requested my data from Aviva and have a call with the reporting doctor on Tuesday.