The Preston Model

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
nezumi
Dorkwood

The Preston Model

Post by nezumi » Fri May 14, 2021 2:24 pm

This has been brought to my attention but I haven't got past skimming it yet. Thought I'd stick it up here to get your opinions :)
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

monkey
After Pie

Re: The Preston Model

Post by monkey » Fri May 14, 2021 3:46 pm

I've always liked the idea, and it seems to do its job. Looking at the local election results, it seems the people in Preston like it too.

If your interested in it, you should look up the Cleveland model, which the Preston model was based on.

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Sun May 16, 2021 6:15 am

Anyone care to summarise what they are actually doing? It's very wordy with lots of trendy management speak but I am finding it hard to see what the actual actions are.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Sun May 16, 2021 8:32 am

Stripping out all the abbreviations and management speak, it appears to be a simple message: get people and companies to spend with small locally owned organisations and pay a decent living wage (not the government's relabelled minimum wage). Spending with local organisations keeps more of the money in the local community and for longer.

EGs might be: use a local company to run your work's canteen instead of the likes of Compass;
- make sure, when you outsource work, they also pay a living wage;
- in Preston, there's prob scope for the local NHS to get PPE make locally; etc
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Sun May 16, 2021 3:11 pm

Lew Dolby wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:32 am
Stripping out all the abbreviations and management speak, it appears to be a simple message: get people and companies to spend with small locally owned organisations and pay a decent living wage (not the government's relabelled minimum wage). Spending with local organisations keeps more of the money in the local community and for longer.

EGs might be: use a local company to run your work's canteen instead of the likes of Compass;
- make sure, when you outsource work, they also pay a living wage;
- in Preston, there's prob scope for the local NHS to get PPE make locally; etc
There is a bit of the council setting up co-ops to run the services too, so it's not just the work that is kept local, but the wealth too. This is harder in the UK than US, but the Basques have done alright out of it with Mondragon.

Here's a news article that might explain things a bit better and does a bit of the history of the idea: clicky

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Mon May 17, 2021 11:08 am

Thanks.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

Nero
Clardic Fug

Post by Nero » Tue May 18, 2021 3:30 pm

It would appear that the Preston Model could also be useful for The Labour Party too:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... dApp_Other

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Thu May 20, 2021 1:38 pm

I had hoped that this thread was going to be about this hunk of prime aussie beef.
Disappointed.