Moderate alcohol consumption

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Martin_B
After Pie

Re: Moderate alcohol consumption

Post by Martin_B » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:31 am

Japan loves mascots; can they have a drunk mascot?
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:20 am

Martin_B wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:31 am
Japan loves mascots; can they have a drunk mascot?
I'll do it.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:17 am

Because the tax revenue has fallen as per capita alcohol consumption has fallen 25% in the last 25 years, as the young drink less alcohol than they used to. Makes one suspect that the government had their fingers in that pie.

Vested interests aside, to protect tax revenues it would seem a better idea, perhaps, to increase tax on what people are spending on instead. Like maybe bubble tea, and the like, perhaps. Doubtless there is a good argument to tax sweet drinks. I seem to recall we found one in this country.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:02 am

IvanV wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:17 am
Because the tax revenue has fallen as per capita alcohol consumption has fallen 25% in the last 25 years, as the young drink less alcohol than they used to. Makes one suspect that the government had their fingers in that pie.

Vested interests aside, to protect tax revenues it would seem a better idea, perhaps, to increase tax on what people are spending on instead. Like maybe bubble tea, and the like, perhaps. Doubtless there is a good argument to tax sweet drinks. I seem to recall we found one in this country.
If you start taxing sugar in Japan the economy may collapse; the Japanese have a very sweet tooth and a high and climbing rate of diabetes
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:14 pm

Martin_B wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:02 am
IvanV wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:17 am

If you start taxing sugar in Japan the economy may collapse; the Japanese have a very sweet tooth and a high and climbing rate of diabetes
Sounds like a good reason to do it; why will this collapse the economy?
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:23 pm

Apparently Gen-Z aren't drinking enough either.

It reminds of the question of why there are never guides on how extroverts can learn to sit down and shut the f.ck up.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:48 pm

I'll moderate mine after the weekend.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:08 am

shpalman wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:23 pm
Apparently Gen-Z aren't drinking enough either.

It reminds of the question of why there are never guides on how extroverts can learn to sit down and shut the f.ck up.
Wow.
70% of the young people surveyed felt they were under greater pressure than their parents to achieve academically and get a good career, leaving them less time to party.
So let's find yet another stick to beat them with: this time, that they're not having enough unwanted pregnancies STIs drunken car crashes drug addictions fun.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:32 am

Actually, that reminds me: this is the first generation to have been vaccinated against STIs. The Daily Mail assured me that it was going to turn them all into sex-crazed philandering monsters. It seems the vaccine has actually turned them all into brain-dead zombified slugs. That fiendish devil Bill Gates!

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:25 am

Maybe this is why they're so anxious all the time. They should just be getting bladdered, like normal people.

DJL
Sindis Poop

Post by DJL » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:36 am

Last night I went to a BBQ and had a beer, a 25cl bottle of Leffe. It was quite nice.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:22 pm

I read something which noted that since alcohol is a relaxant, as it wears off there's a natural rebound into a more anxious state. I'd noticed this because of my experiences of doing the Italian thing of having one drink at an early evening aperitivo but not continuing to drink all evening, or my habit when I go dancing of having my one drink* fairly early on in the evening. In both cases I've noticed the rebound.

Also the Oura ring has noticed that even a small amount of alcohol leads to me having worse-quality sleep, in terms of my resting heart rate remaining higher than usual at least.

* - there's one drink included with entry and I very rarely go back for a second one, not least because of how long the queue for the bar is in some of these places, like I can lose 15-20 minutes there, because they also do "proper" cocktails which are more time-consuming to make. I could bypass this if I only wanted beer, but I don't like drinking beer when I'm dancing because it seems to kill my leg muscles.

Even in Prague, where I didn't use the car all weekend since everywhere was in walking distance, the second drink didn't go down particularly easily and I'd have been better off with something non-alcoholic. And I know from experience that I'm not really in control of my dancing after a third drink.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:58 pm

If you think beer kills your legs I definitely don't recommend trying to dance on ketamine like the kids these days do.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:35 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:58 pm
If you think beer kills your legs I definitely don't recommend trying to dance on ketamine like the kids these days do.
Ketamine worked for Dr. House's leg. Temporarily.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:56 pm

FB_IMG_1661010799859.jpg
FB_IMG_1661010799859.jpg (46.62 KiB) Viewed 1625 times
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:31 pm

Even whiskey is usually mostly water...

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:35 pm

Isn't that the stuff that fish have sex in?

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:11 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:35 pm
No, that's Spawnhub.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:22 pm

dyqik wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:31 pm
Whisky is literally water.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:32 pm

And vodka is water-ette.

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:24 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:11 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:35 pm
No, that's Spawnhub.
Damn but I wish I'd thought of that.
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:41 pm

someone else figures out that you don't need to be drunk every night
Prompted by exercises in Ruby’s book, I gave up alcohol for three months, and found myself reconnecting to the part of myself again that didn’t need to binge or fill a hole. I reconnected with my body and learned how to settle my nervous system through breathwork. I started being more honest with my loved ones, I made changes in my career, I stopped people-pleasing. I found space in my life to be creative for the sake of it. I committed to journalling. I no longer wanted to numb myself out. I enjoyed the odd drink again.
Maybe I should drink more so that I can then drink less and be able to do these things.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:45 pm

dyqik wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:31 pm
You're supposed* to drink about 2 litres of water a day so that would be between 3 and 3.5 litres of whisk(e)y you should aim to drink.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:15 am

shpalman wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:41 pm
someone else figures out that you don't need to be drunk every night
Prompted by exercises in Ruby’s book, I gave up alcohol for three months, and found myself reconnecting to the part of myself again that didn’t need to binge or fill a hole. I reconnected with my body and learned how to settle my nervous system through breathwork. I started being more honest with my loved ones, I made changes in my career, I stopped people-pleasing. I found space in my life to be creative for the sake of it. I committed to journalling. I no longer wanted to numb myself out. I enjoyed the odd drink again.
Maybe I should drink more so that I can then drink less and be able to do these things.
If giving up alcohol for three months led to that change in lifestyle, then I'm not sure that the previous alcohol consumption would be considered "moderate". The writer of that article talks about drinking significantly every night and taking bin bags of clinking bottles to the recycling bin every week.

I was in a similar situation at one point; it wasn't unusual for me to drink a bottle of wine a night just to get mildly buzzed, and then a second in order to actually start to feel drunk. I probably got to a point of drinking ~10 bottles a week, plus some spirits and going out for beers with friends.

Then, at one family gathering, I was chatting with a cousin and we got to talking about drinking. I admitted how much I drank and thought I might have a problem. He told me how much he was drinking (significantly more than me) and that he knew he had a problem. We were both holding down quite technical jobs, but realised that something had to change, so we started our own support group. We do both still drink, but it's occasional drinking rather than trying to get blotto every night.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:43 pm

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk