UFOs

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
plodder
Dorkwood
Posts: 1523
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm

UFOs

Post by plodder » Thu May 20, 2021 12:55 pm

Obama confirms he's seen the saucers. All over the news.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... ica-aliens

User avatar
Martin Y
After Pie
Posts: 2101
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Re: UFOs

Post by Martin Y » Thu May 20, 2021 2:03 pm

Well that sounded like it might be fun, but turned out to be a whole lot of nothing. Obama confirms that US pilots have sometimes seen things they can't identify.

I was just thinking the other day that there's a nice analogy between the antivaxxers who insist every yellow card reporting a death is a "vaccine death" and UFO nuts who think every unidentified thing is a flying saucer.

plodder
Dorkwood
Posts: 1523
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Re: UFOs

Post by plodder » Thu May 20, 2021 2:37 pm

It would be nothing if they confirmed the existence of FOs. Given the capabilities of the USAF anything U is definitely in the fun category.

nezumi
Catbabel
Posts: 779
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: UFOs

Post by nezumi » Thu May 20, 2021 2:49 pm

Pretty much everything that flies is a UFO for me :D Unless it's a pigeon or a seagull I'm lost mate.
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

User avatar
jimbob
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2740
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: UFOs

Post by jimbob » Thu May 20, 2021 3:21 pm

nezumi wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:49 pm
Pretty much everything that flies is a UFO for me :D Unless it's a pigeon or a seagull I'm lost mate.
So I guess you wouldn't like the RAF^Luton Twitter account then?

https://twitter.com/RAF_Luton/status/13 ... 64835?s=20
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Light of Blast
Posts: 6412
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Iceland

Re: UFOs

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu May 20, 2021 4:33 pm

plodder wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:37 pm
It would be nothing if they confirmed the existence of FOs. Given the capabilities of the USAF anything U is definitely in the fun category.
Yes, lots of old sightings bear a surprising resemblance to modern stealth bombers and drones and stuff.

Sooner or later we'll probably find out that all the anal probing people reported was an experimental "enhanced interrogation" technique.
He has the grace of a swan, the wisdom of an owl, and the eye of an eagle—ladies and gentlemen, this man is for the birds!

User avatar
Sciolus
Catbabel
Posts: 672
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:42 pm

Re: UFOs

Post by Sciolus » Thu May 20, 2021 7:40 pm

Dunno why they're so sniffy about the term "unidentified aerial phenomena", given that the vast majority of so-called UFOs are not in fact flying objects.

User avatar
JQH
Dorkwood
Posts: 1504
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:30 pm
Location: Sar Flandan

Re: UFOs

Post by JQH » Thu May 20, 2021 11:20 pm

Sciolus wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 7:40 pm
Dunno why they're so sniffy about the term "unidentified aerial phenomena", given that the vast majority of so-called UFOs are not in fact flying objects.
That's what they want you to think
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

User avatar
jimbob
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2740
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: UFOs

Post by jimbob » Fri May 21, 2021 9:05 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 4:33 pm
plodder wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:37 pm
It would be nothing if they confirmed the existence of FOs. Given the capabilities of the USAF anything U is definitely in the fun category.
Yes, lots of old sightings bear a surprising resemblance to modern stealth bombers and drones and stuff.

Sooner or later we'll probably find out that all the anal probing people reported was an experimental "enhanced interrogation" technique.
I have mentioned before that a lot of sightings from the 1940s onwards do seem to have performance that is only a bit better than the frontline aircraft reporting them.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

secret squirrel
Snowbonk
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:42 pm

Re: UFOs

Post by secret squirrel » Fri May 21, 2021 9:25 am

jimbob wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:05 am
I have mentioned before that a lot of sightings from the 1940s onwards do seem to have performance that is only a bit better than the frontline aircraft reporting them.
The encounters are scaled to our level. Further proof of the simulation hypothesis.

User avatar
Woodchopper
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3700
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: UFOs

Post by Woodchopper » Fri May 21, 2021 9:35 am

I am impressed with the the aliens’ cultural sensitivity. Their frequent close encounters with people in isolated parts of the US were scaled back as soon as all those people started carrying camera equipped phones everywhere they went.

bmforre
Snowbonk
Posts: 477
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: Trondheim

Re: UFOs

Post by bmforre » Fri May 21, 2021 10:25 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:35 am
I am impressed with the the aliens’ cultural sensitivity. Their frequent close encounters with people in isolated parts of the US were scaled back as soon as all those people started carrying camera equipped phones everywhere they went.
They also seem to be responsible traffic participants, respecting keep-out calls by Spaceforce and other authorities when spacelaunches take place.

plodder
Dorkwood
Posts: 1523
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Re: UFOs

Post by plodder » Fri May 21, 2021 1:11 pm

If I was an alien explorer I would try and blend in as much as possible with native technology including speeds etc, being sure not to be shot down.

plodder
Dorkwood
Posts: 1523
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Re: UFOs

Post by plodder » Fri May 21, 2021 1:31 pm

I would also be as sensitive as possible to the weird cultures I'd encounter, in order to observe them in as natural a state as possible.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Light of Blast
Posts: 6412
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Iceland

Re: UFOs

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri May 21, 2021 1:40 pm

I like to imagine them as the alien equivalent of birdwatchers. Human-spotters are probably considered weirdo anorak types on their home planet.
He has the grace of a swan, the wisdom of an owl, and the eye of an eagle—ladies and gentlemen, this man is for the birds!

User avatar
dyqik
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3929
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: UFOs

Post by dyqik » Fri May 21, 2021 1:56 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 1:40 pm
I like to imagine them as the alien equivalent of birdwatchers. Human-spotters are probably considered weirdo anorak types on their home planet.
I like Douglas Adam's description of alien visitors as bored rich alien kids who think it's fun to troll humans by finding loners that no one will believe. The trolling aspect explains why the rise of cellphone cameras has reduced the numbers - the trolling doesn't work so well any more.

User avatar
lpm
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3298
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Re: UFOs

Post by lpm » Sat May 22, 2021 1:28 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:35 am
I am impressed with the the aliens’ cultural sensitivity. Their frequent close encounters with people in isolated parts of the US were scaled back as soon as all those people started carrying camera equipped phones everywhere they went.
It would be interesting to see a chart showing sightings p.a. of UFOs, big cats, big feet, Yetis etc for the past 65 years.

With a line showing number of video cameras owned by the population. And how often people used to take home movie cameras out and about, rather than filming the kid's birthday party.

The number of video cameras owned by ordinary people has increased by, what, 100,000 times? Factor in the frequency cameras are carried around every day, and it would be something like 100,000,000 times more video cameras ready to start filming a UFO compared to 50 years ago?

Has there been a 100 million times increase in the number of UFOs captured on film?
What ever happened to that Trump guy, you know, the one who was president for a bit?

User avatar
Woodchopper
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3700
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: UFOs

Post by Woodchopper » Sat May 22, 2021 5:32 pm

lpm wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 1:28 pm

Has there been a 100 million times increase in the number of UFOs captured on film?
Of course not.

Someone who believed in alien visitation could assume that they are monitoring our technology and have changed their interactions accordingly (for whatever reason). But that couldn't be claimed about sasquatch, ghosts, fairies etc.

And on photography, modern fighter aircraft have very sensitive optical and infrared sensors to detect targets (a passive sensor is much more stealthy than radar). So if there is UFO footage from aircraft, it should be very high quality

User avatar
Martin Y
After Pie
Posts: 2101
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Re: UFOs

Post by Martin Y » Sat May 22, 2021 6:27 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 5:32 pm
... And on photography, modern fighter aircraft have very sensitive optical and infrared sensors to detect targets (a passive sensor is much more stealthy than radar). So if there is UFO footage from aircraft, it should be very high quality
Unless of course the aircraft they had spotted was 50-100 miles away, in which case it'll still just be the traditional unidentifiable blob.

The three videos which the Department of Defense recently confirmed to be authentic
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/15/politics ... index.html
(and which led to much breathless reporting that they had actually confirmed flying saucers are real) contains at least one such.

There's a very enlightening series of shortish videos here
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Tx_c0P3O2t
which explain just what's shown in the three navy videos and dispel any mystery. Recommended.

User avatar
Sciolus
Catbabel
Posts: 672
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:42 pm

Re: UFOs

Post by Sciolus » Sat May 22, 2021 7:15 pm

lpm wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 1:28 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:35 am
I am impressed with the the aliens’ cultural sensitivity. Their frequent close encounters with people in isolated parts of the US were scaled back as soon as all those people started carrying camera equipped phones everywhere they went.
It would be interesting to see a chart showing sightings p.a. of UFOs, big cats, big feet, Yetis etc for the past 65 years.

With a line showing number of video cameras owned by the population. And how often people used to take home movie cameras out and about, rather than filming the kid's birthday party.

The number of video cameras owned by ordinary people has increased by, what, 100,000 times? Factor in the frequency cameras are carried around every day, and it would be something like 100,000,000 times more video cameras ready to start filming a UFO compared to 50 years ago?

Has there been a 100 million times increase in the number of UFOs captured on film?
You're welcome.

plodder
Dorkwood
Posts: 1523
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Re: UFOs

Post by plodder » Mon May 24, 2021 8:29 pm

pah.

a thread, from someone who knows good evidence when he sees it:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bengoldacre/ ... 4100007937

User avatar
dyqik
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3929
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: UFOs

Post by dyqik » Tue May 25, 2021 12:28 am

lpm wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 1:28 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:35 am
I am impressed with the the aliens’ cultural sensitivity. Their frequent close encounters with people in isolated parts of the US were scaled back as soon as all those people started carrying camera equipped phones everywhere they went.
It would be interesting to see a chart showing sightings p.a. of UFOs, big cats, big feet, Yetis etc for the past 65 years.

With a line showing number of video cameras owned by the population. And how often people used to take home movie cameras out and about, rather than filming the kid's birthday party.

The number of video cameras owned by ordinary people has increased by, what, 100,000 times? Factor in the frequency cameras are carried around every day, and it would be something like 100,000,000 times more video cameras ready to start filming a UFO compared to 50 years ago?

Has there been a 100 million times increase in the number of UFOs captured on film?
There's probably at least a 100 million times increase in sky monitoring by astronomers as well. And not just in temporal pixels on the sky, but also increases across wavelength as well.

plodder
Dorkwood
Posts: 1523
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Re: UFOs

Post by plodder » Tue May 25, 2021 8:50 am

...to the extent that our ability to detect and record aliens totally outweighs the signal-masking tech available to any interstellar visitors. Of course.

I mean, if you were exploring a planet where the inhabitants were in the bronze age, you wouldn't use your cloaking device, you'd hide in the bushes. Otherwise you wouldn't get any explorer cool points from your mates.

User avatar
Martin Y
After Pie
Posts: 2101
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Re: UFOs

Post by Martin Y » Tue May 25, 2021 8:53 am

Their cloaking isn't perfect, but it's good enough. When you have to cross intergalactic space you don't carry more tech than you absolutely have to. You pack (faster than) light.

PS Maybe we were in the bronze age when they set off.

User avatar
dyqik
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3929
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: UFOs

Post by dyqik » Tue May 25, 2021 11:04 am

plodder wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:50 am
...to the extent that our ability to detect and record aliens totally outweighs the signal-masking tech available to any interstellar visitors. Of course.

I mean, if you were exploring a planet where the inhabitants were in the bronze age, you wouldn't use your cloaking device, you'd hide in the bushes. Otherwise you wouldn't get any explorer cool points from your mates.
If you knew enough to turn on particular cloaking devices exactly when a research instrument for turned on for the first time, then I'm not sure why you'd bother coming at all.

Post Reply