Italian cable car fall

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Post Reply
User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Italian cable car fall

Post by shpalman » Sun May 23, 2021 2:47 pm

molto tricky

User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Italian cable car fall

Post by shpalman » Sun May 23, 2021 6:30 pm

It's 14 now.

What it sounds like, from news reports, is that the haul cable broke as the cabin was near the top of the run, so the cabin accelerated downhill, either hitting a pylon or anyway jumping off the support cable. There's a hydraulic braking system which is supposed to stop this, so it remains to be seen why it didn't work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stresa-Mo ... r_disaster
molto tricky

User avatar
Grumble
After Pie
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: Italian cable car fall

Post by Grumble » Sun May 23, 2021 6:54 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:30 pm
It's 14 now.

What it sounds like, from news reports, is that the haul cable broke as the cabin was near the top of the run, so the cabin accelerated downhill, either hitting a pylon or anyway jumping off the support cable. There's a hydraulic braking system which is supposed to stop this, so it remains to be seen why it didn't work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stresa-Mo ... r_disaster
This is an absolute nightmare. Most people have an instinctive nervousness about cable cars but I think their safety record has been pretty good till now.
You’ve got no chutzpah, your organisational skills are lacklustre and your timekeeping is abysmal.

insignificant
Stargoon
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:14 pm
Location: Coventry

Re: Italian cable car fall

Post by insignificant » Wed May 26, 2021 11:27 am


bmforre
Snowbonk
Posts: 489
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: Trondheim

Re: Italian cable car fall

Post by bmforre » Wed May 26, 2021 5:06 pm

NYtimes link: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/26/worl ... italy.html
Before dawn on Wednesday, investigators based in the nearby town of Verbania arrested three people involved in the operation of the cable car. Speaking outside her office, the chief prosecutor Olimpia Bossi told reporters that the “emergency brake system of the cable car that fell had been tampered with.”

Investigators said a malfunction in the system had been identified the previous month that caused the cable car to brake spontaneously, and to ensure that the service “could continue working,” a fork-shaped clamp had been placed on the brake to stop it from engaging. Resolving the malfunction would have required a more “radical intervention,” Ms. Bossi said.

The three are under investigation on suspicion of removing a safety device resulting in a disaster.

User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Italian cable car fall

Post by shpalman » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:00 pm

The TV news now has the cctv videos.

The cabin had almost reached the upper station, at which point the haul cable breaks (it seems it broke at the point at which it was joined to the cabin) and the cabin accelerates back down until it reaches the first pylon, at which point it jumps off the support cable and falls out of shot.
molto tricky

User avatar
Boustrophedon
After Pie
Posts: 2257
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:58 pm
Location: Lincolnshire Wolds

Re: Italian cable car fall

Post by Boustrophedon » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:59 pm

The ever reliable AvE on YouTube has unearthed some good still from video footage showing the brake override clamps, painted bright orange in position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCB1xbk ... nel=AvEAvE
Put on your headlight and sound your horn if people get in the way. (Innes)

User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Italian cable car fall

Post by shpalman » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:38 pm

shpalman wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:00 pm
The TV news now has the cctv videos.

The cabin had almost reached the upper station, at which point the haul cable breaks (it seems it broke at the point at which it was joined to the cabin) and the cabin accelerates back down until it reaches the first pylon, at which point it jumps off the support cable and falls out of shot.
Italy's public broadcaster Rai has faced strong criticism for airing leaked CCTV footage of a fatal cable car crash that killed 14 people.
molto tricky

User avatar
Boustrophedon
After Pie
Posts: 2257
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:58 pm
Location: Lincolnshire Wolds

Re: Italian cable car fall

Post by Boustrophedon » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:24 am

shpalman wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:38 pm
shpalman wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:00 pm
The TV news now has the cctv videos.

The cabin had almost reached the upper station, at which point the haul cable breaks (it seems it broke at the point at which it was joined to the cabin) and the cabin accelerates back down until it reaches the first pylon, at which point it jumps off the support cable and falls out of shot.
Italy's public broadcaster Rai has faced strong criticism for airing leaked CCTV footage of a fatal cable car crash that killed 14 people.
However, a cable car expert has alleged that earlier videos he took suggest the emergency brake was already disabled in 2014.
And repainted orange to go by AvEs video.
cable car lockout..jpg
cable car lockout..jpg (147.6 KiB) Viewed 257 times
Put on your headlight and sound your horn if people get in the way. (Innes)

User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Italian cable car fall

Post by shpalman » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:39 pm

molto tricky

Post Reply