So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people

So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

The only reason I watch sport
0
No votes
The main reason, so I'll only watch the really big matches if I don't get to see the interviews
0
No votes
I enjoy them, but they aren't essential to my viewing
3
6%
I sometimes watch the interviews
11
23%
I'll watch the interviews if I see that they cried, or their head exploded
3
6%
I have no interest in their thoughts
30
64%
 
Total votes: 47

temptar
Sindis Poop
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun May 10, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by temptar » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:33 am

Obviously my opinion does not matter much, but fundamentally I think promoters and sports feds should have a duty of care regarding health. But it is only recently that the contact sports even started looking at the question of concussion.

On the mental health front, football has a lot of stories around addiction. It seems it is fine to make money off the skills of youngsters but god forbid you stop exploiting their physical and mental health. We might also quietly refer to abuse scandals in swimming and gymnastics too in terms of failure to care because the individuals don't matter much.

I think press contact is desirable but I tended to prefer indepth print/text interviews rather than bytesized post event calls. The problem is there are a lot more media outlets than there were 20 odd years ago and syndication no longer really works as a model for that.

Body image is a massive issue for young sports stars and they often have very irregular childhoods because the Talent must be fed. I think the issues of health and mental health go far beyond Naomi Osaka - and sport.

tom p
Dorkwood
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:14 pm
Location: the low countries

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by tom p » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:17 am

bagpuss wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:55 am
temptar wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:08 am
I have sympathy for the Naomi Osaka. I think that we are compelled to make allowances in most jobs for health related issues. It has not happened here. You have absolutely no idea how horrible fans of one player can be to another player. I don't know to what extent it happens in the men's sports but there is an ex-figure skating champion still getting hate mail for daring to win a gold medal from the fans of the winner of the silver medal. Pretty sure tennis players are subject to a lot of abuse as well. I listened to an ex-colleague complain and abuse Andy Murray for the simple fact of her irrationally not liking him. Some people post this yo Instagram and FB pages.
This is the key point, I think. Whether interviews are of interest, or boring, or essential for sponsorship and thus the continuation of the sport, or any of the other discussion points, are all very interesting - genuinely, as someone who doesn't much follow sports but will watch occasionally, many of the posts here have increased my understanding of what goes on and changed my position somewhat as a result. But what is important in Naomi Osaka's case is that no allowance seems to have been made for her health issue. It is not clear, I don't think, whether that is because she and her team didn't approach this in the right way, or because regardless of how it was approached, the result would have been the same. We don't know what communications went on behind the scenes at any point in any of this, only what has been played out in public, so perhaps it would have been the case that if she approached the organisers and asked for allowances to be made in view of her health issues, then all would have been fine and she would have been spared the interviews for this event. Or perhaps she/her team tried that and were rebuffed and told that the interviews weren't optional and tough. Or perhaps they didn't do it properly because there was no defined policy for anyone to know what "properly" might be.

It's not an easy situation. In most jobs, an individual with a health issue can be covered for to some extent - workload shared around, a different role found within the organisation for the short- or long- term, the job role adapted to the person's needs, special equipment provided, etc. That's clearly impossible for a sports person when it comes to physical health so there's an established route for those circumstances - the person withdraws from the competition, with no penalty but with obvious loss of potential income. But for mental health issues, there is no established approach and I strongly suspect that few sports competitions' policies address it in any way, because mental health has been paid so little heed for so long. I hope that one result of all of this is that sports competition organisers at least have the conversation, consider what can be done, make policies so that it's clear to everyone what will happen in the situation where someone's mental health limits what they are able to do. Perhaps an alternative would be for there to be an option for the players' coach or other representative to do at least some of the interviews? That way the sponsors still get their screen time, the same information is shared, but the player themselves doesn't have to deal with the press directly. I don't know if this would work but it seems that it could be a viable alternative, at least for the earlier matches, maybe keeping the actual player interviews for the semis and finals - still tough as hell for the losers but less of a load than after every match? If there really are no viable allowances that could possibly be fairly made then at least that should be made clear up front so that someone entering a competition knows for certain that if a mental health issue prevents them from undertaking any part of a player's commitment then that will mean withdrawal in exactly the same was as physical health issues would. Maybe that is already clear but it seems likely that, at least for the French Open, it is not, as it's unlikely that Osaka would have tried to avoid the interviews in the way she did if it were.

I am probably missing something - as I said I'm not a close follower of any sport, and usually turn off before the interviews start when I do watch, as they're pretty well always even duller than a 5 day cricket match - so please feel free to point out any ridiculousness in what I've said.
There's no ridiculousness in what you said at all - it's a very fair summary. I do think that had Osaka's people approached the organisers and been rebuffed, then they would have told everyone this by now, so it's reasonable to conclude that she just handled this poorly; but then she's little more than a kid. Hopefully either she'll get better advisers or she'll listen to them in the future.

User avatar
El Pollo Diablo
After Pie
Posts: 1917
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:41 pm
Location: FBPE

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:46 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:52 am
WFJ wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:47 am
JQH wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:37 am
Those images are all from press conferences so the players sponsors are not getting the publicity. Which would be an argument against players taking part in them if you're arguing that players' sponsors should get publicity in return for coughing up cash.
No I was arguing the opposite. Press conferences are for the event sponsors, who fund the events and their prize money.
Yes, indeed. If sports stars stopped doing press conferences then the event organizers would need to find another way to get media coverage of the sponsors' logos.
Gosh, yes. I hadn't thought of that. How naive of me. If the players didn't do press conferences then companies like BNP Paribas wouldn't get any exposure for their sponsorship
b25lY21zOjM4YjcxY2EzLTlmYmYtNGU0YS1iZmFkLTQzM2FiYzllM2YzZTozZjY2NzlhYy1lNDNmLTRjZDUtYWNhNy01YjJiOTI0NTU5MmQ=.jpg
b25lY21zOjM4YjcxY2EzLTlmYmYtNGU0YS1iZmFkLTQzM2FiYzllM2YzZTozZjY2NzlhYy1lNDNmLTRjZDUtYWNhNy01YjJiOTI0NTU5MmQ=.jpg (189.58 KiB) Viewed 423 times
Mike Patton wrote:"You overdo it sometimes. There I am, peeing on Axl Rose’s teleprompter." He looks rueful: "I didn’t really have to do that."

User avatar
Martin_B
Catbabel
Posts: 951
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:20 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by Martin_B » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:54 am

temptar wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:08 am
I have sympathy for the Naomi Osaka. I think that we are compelled to make allowances in most jobs for health related issues. It has not happened here. You have absolutely no idea how horrible fans of one player can be to another player. I don't know to what extent it happens in the men's sports but there is an ex-figure skating champion still getting hate mail for daring to win a gold medal from the fans of the winner of the silver medal. Pretty sure tennis players are subject to a lot of abuse as well. I listened to an ex-colleague complain and abuse Andy Murray for the simple fact of her irrationally not liking him. Some people post this yo Instagram and FB pages.
I certainly have a lot of sympathy for Naomi Osaka, and this whole thing could have been handled a lot better.

With regards to men's sports, if you do not follow it then you may not be aware, but there is currently a huge issue with players, especially black players, getting awful racial abuse after matches, especially if their team loses. It has been going on for a while, but seemed to become more prevalent over the last year or so and football tried to combat this by having all players, teams, and most media outlets having a 3-4 day break from all social media. The idea was to try and get the social media platforms to instigate some form of self-censorship, or at least identify people hiding behind anonymous accounts. It didn't work and the abuse has continued while the social media platforms say they can do nothing. In truth, it's because it generates posts and that's what drives the platforms, not doing what's right. A number of these players have mentioned the effect it has on their mental health, too, but again, the social media platforms don't care about that, only the number of hits.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

User avatar
Woodchopper
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3679
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:58 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:46 am
Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:52 am
WFJ wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:47 am


No I was arguing the opposite. Press conferences are for the event sponsors, who fund the events and their prize money.
Yes, indeed. If sports stars stopped doing press conferences then the event organizers would need to find another way to get media coverage of the sponsors' logos.
Gosh, yes. I hadn't thought of that. How naive of me. If the players didn't do press conferences then companies like BNP Paribas wouldn't get any exposure for their sponsorship

b25lY21zOjM4YjcxY2EzLTlmYmYtNGU0YS1iZmFkLTQzM2FiYzllM2YzZTozZjY2NzlhYy1lNDNmLTRjZDUtYWNhNy01YjJiOTI0NTU5MmQ=.jpg
You are arguing against something that I didn't write.

WFJ
Stargoon
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:54 am

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by WFJ » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:18 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:46 am
Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:52 am
WFJ wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:47 am


No I was arguing the opposite. Press conferences are for the event sponsors, who fund the events and their prize money.
Yes, indeed. If sports stars stopped doing press conferences then the event organizers would need to find another way to get media coverage of the sponsors' logos.
Gosh, yes. I hadn't thought of that. How naive of me. If the players didn't do press conferences then companies like BNP Paribas wouldn't get any exposure for their sponsorship
What was naive was thinking that the wishes of hacks or the interest of fans in the press conferences was the main concern. Which was what I replied to.

The sponsors will factor in how much exposure they get when deciding the value of their sponsorship. One part of this is the exposure they get during press conferences with the players, which the event will be contractually obliged to provide. Similarly the players will be obliged to attend. If all the players decide to skip these, this affects the amount of funding in the sport. Tennis funding is probably robust enough to handle this, but it is reasonable for organisers to protect their interests.

I wouldn't underestimate the potential value of the press conference to the sponsors though. A 10 second shared and rebroadcast news clip of a banal answer to a banal question could provide more exposure than hours of wall to wall coverage.

User avatar
Grumble
After Pie
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by Grumble » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:03 pm

veravista wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:13 am
Don't know about tennis, but with golf, any of the F1 series (including F2 & F3), Moto GP, World & British Superbikes doing pre & post round interviews are a legally enforceable part of the contract for participation - competitors can be and have been fined quite heavily for not participating or not treating it seriously. If you don't agree to it you don't take part.
In most motorsport the garage has to be open for the cameras as well, the garage can only be closed if you withdraw from the event. It’s quite common to see a rider sitting disconsolately in their seat having fallen off halfway through a race, and you know the camera must be about 1 metre away from their face.
You’ve got no chutzpah, your organisational skills are lacklustre and your timekeeping is abysmal.

User avatar
Woodchopper
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3679
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:07 pm

Grumble wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:03 pm
veravista wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:13 am
Don't know about tennis, but with golf, any of the F1 series (including F2 & F3), Moto GP, World & British Superbikes doing pre & post round interviews are a legally enforceable part of the contract for participation - competitors can be and have been fined quite heavily for not participating or not treating it seriously. If you don't agree to it you don't take part.
In most motorsport the garage has to be open for the cameras as well, the garage can only be closed if you withdraw from the event. It’s quite common to see a rider sitting disconsolately in their seat having fallen off halfway through a race, and you know the camera must be about 1 metre away from their face.
No problem imagining the producer yelling into the camera operator's ear piece: "get closer, I want to see those tears".

User avatar
Woodchopper
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3679
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:07 pm

tom p wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:17 am
There's no ridiculousness in what you said at all - it's a very fair summary. I do think that had Osaka's people approached the organisers and been rebuffed, then they would have told everyone this by now, so it's reasonable to conclude that she just handled this poorly; but then she's little more than a kid. Hopefully either she'll get better advisers or she'll listen to them in the future.
I don't think Osaka would have been allowed to miss the press conference without being fined if she had made a different approach to the organizers.

The French Open makes enormous amounts of money from selling access to the players to media and sponsors. The tournament organizers are compelling the players to sit in front of the cameras because the organizers need to keep the money flowing in.

User avatar
Gfamily
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2741
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm
Location: NW England

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by Gfamily » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:13 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:07 pm
tom p wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:17 am
There's no ridiculousness in what you said at all - it's a very fair summary. I do think that had Osaka's people approached the organisers and been rebuffed, then they would have told everyone this by now, so it's reasonable to conclude that she just handled this poorly; but then she's little more than a kid. Hopefully either she'll get better advisers or she'll listen to them in the future.
I don't think Osaka would have been allowed to miss the press conference without being fined if she had made a different approach to the organizers.

The French Open makes enormous amounts of money from selling access to the players to media and sponsors. The tournament organizers are compelling the players to sit in front of the cameras because the organizers need to keep the money flowing in.
However, it has to be said that if things changed, sponsors and organisers would find different ways to monetise the events.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

User avatar
Woodchopper
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3679
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:20 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:13 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:07 pm
tom p wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:17 am
There's no ridiculousness in what you said at all - it's a very fair summary. I do think that had Osaka's people approached the organisers and been rebuffed, then they would have told everyone this by now, so it's reasonable to conclude that she just handled this poorly; but then she's little more than a kid. Hopefully either she'll get better advisers or she'll listen to them in the future.
I don't think Osaka would have been allowed to miss the press conference without being fined if she had made a different approach to the organizers.

The French Open makes enormous amounts of money from selling access to the players to media and sponsors. The tournament organizers are compelling the players to sit in front of the cameras because the organizers need to keep the money flowing in.
However, it has to be said that if things changed, sponsors and organisers would find different ways to monetise the events.
Yes, of course.

User avatar
El Pollo Diablo
After Pie
Posts: 1917
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:41 pm
Location: FBPE

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:40 pm

The idea that things have to be this way and that no one should ever complain and nothing can ever change or be different is, of course, absolute horseshit.

Press conferences are not essential, and certainly don't need to happen 20 minutes after the end of the match. And if press conferences don't happen, there are a multitude of other ways for sponsors to sh.t in people's faces. Most of which they already employ anyway.
Mike Patton wrote:"You overdo it sometimes. There I am, peeing on Axl Rose’s teleprompter." He looks rueful: "I didn’t really have to do that."

tom p
Dorkwood
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:14 pm
Location: the low countries

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by tom p » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:43 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:07 pm
tom p wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:17 am
There's no ridiculousness in what you said at all - it's a very fair summary. I do think that had Osaka's people approached the organisers and been rebuffed, then they would have told everyone this by now, so it's reasonable to conclude that she just handled this poorly; but then she's little more than a kid. Hopefully either she'll get better advisers or she'll listen to them in the future.
I don't think Osaka would have been allowed to miss the press conference without being fined if she had made a different approach to the organizers.

The French Open makes enormous amounts of money from selling access to the players to media and sponsors. The tournament organizers are compelling the players to sit in front of the cameras because the organizers need to keep the money flowing in.
Maybe. The FFT are quite a high-handed and arrogant lot who seem to delight in living up to certain negative French stereotypes. But that's the thing with counterfactuals, we never know - they might well have accepted it, or they might have negotiated a reduced prize amount per round with her equivalent to repeated fines, without the stigma of fining or they might have done a dozen other things.

tom p
Dorkwood
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:14 pm
Location: the low countries

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by tom p » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:44 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:40 pm
The idea that things have to be this way and that no one should ever complain and nothing can ever change or be different is, of course, absolute horseshit.
Absolutely mate, and you totally demolished that straw man. Have a gold star.

User avatar
Woodchopper
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3679
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:48 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:40 pm
The idea that things have to be this way and that no one should ever complain and nothing can ever change or be different is, of course, absolute horseshit.

Press conferences are not essential, and certainly don't need to happen 20 minutes after the end of the match. And if press conferences don't happen, there are a multitude of other ways for sponsors to sh.t in people's faces. Most of which they already employ anyway.
Probably a good idea for you to read the thread. I can't think of anyone who has suggested that.

WFJ
Stargoon
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:54 am

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by WFJ » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:49 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:40 pm
The idea that things have to be this way and that no one should ever complain and nothing can ever change or be different is, of course, absolute horseshit.

Press conferences are not essential, and certainly don't need to happen 20 minutes after the end of the match. And if press conferences don't happen, there are a multitude of other ways for sponsors to sh.t in people's faces. Most of which they already employ anyway.
I do not think any one has claimed that. But a player announcing to the press that she will not fulfil her obligations, rather than discussing it with the event and looking for a solution, is not a sensible way to effect a change if it is needed. A negative reaction to this by the organisers was perfectly justified. Even if the heavy-handed response, and failure to acknowledge any health issues in the response, has been a PR f.ck up for the French Open and other Slams, and given the impression they are the ones being unreasonable.

User avatar
Sciolus
Catbabel
Posts: 666
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:42 pm

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by Sciolus » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:01 pm

WFJ wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:49 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:40 pm
The idea that things have to be this way and that no one should ever complain and nothing can ever change or be different is, of course, absolute horseshit.

Press conferences are not essential, and certainly don't need to happen 20 minutes after the end of the match. And if press conferences don't happen, there are a multitude of other ways for sponsors to sh.t in people's faces. Most of which they already employ anyway.
I do not think any one has claimed that. But a player announcing to the press that she will not fulfil her obligations, rather than discussing it with the event and looking for a solution, is not a sensible way to effect a change if it is needed. A negative reaction to this by the organisers was perfectly justified. Even if the heavy-handed response, and failure to acknowledge any health issues in the response, has been a PR f.ck up for the French Open and other Slams, and given the impression they are the ones being unreasonable.
Time will tell, but it seems like a good way to start effecting a change. No-one can say they don't know there's a problem any more.

User avatar
Woodchopper
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3679
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:14 pm

Sciolus wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:01 pm
WFJ wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:49 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:40 pm
The idea that things have to be this way and that no one should ever complain and nothing can ever change or be different is, of course, absolute horseshit.

Press conferences are not essential, and certainly don't need to happen 20 minutes after the end of the match. And if press conferences don't happen, there are a multitude of other ways for sponsors to sh.t in people's faces. Most of which they already employ anyway.
I do not think any one has claimed that. But a player announcing to the press that she will not fulfil her obligations, rather than discussing it with the event and looking for a solution, is not a sensible way to effect a change if it is needed. A negative reaction to this by the organisers was perfectly justified. Even if the heavy-handed response, and failure to acknowledge any health issues in the response, has been a PR f.ck up for the French Open and other Slams, and given the impression they are the ones being unreasonable.
Time will tell, but it seems like a good way to start effecting a change. No-one can say they don't know there's a problem any more.
I agree, and stars like Osaka are the people who could do that. If the top earners were collectively to refuse to play in a Grand Slam unless it changed its policies that might work.

User avatar
JQH
Dorkwood
Posts: 1499
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:30 pm
Location: Sar Flandan

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by JQH » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:19 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:58 am
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:46 am
Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:52 am


Yes, indeed. If sports stars stopped doing press conferences then the event organizers would need to find another way to get media coverage of the sponsors' logos.
Gosh, yes. I hadn't thought of that. How naive of me. If the players didn't do press conferences then companies like BNP Paribas wouldn't get any exposure for their sponsorship

b25lY21zOjM4YjcxY2EzLTlmYmYtNGU0YS1iZmFkLTQzM2FiYzllM2YzZTozZjY2NzlhYy1lNDNmLTRjZDUtYWNhNy01YjJiOTI0NTU5MmQ=.jpg
You are arguing against something that I didn't write.
My understanding of what you wrote, in context with the posts you were responding to, is that press conferences are necessary because event sponsors require media coverage of their logos. EPD was pointing out that they get coverage during the actual match so press conferences are not, in fact, necessary for this purpose.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

User avatar
dyqik
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by dyqik » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:28 am

Since the CEO of Nike has declared support for Osaka's stance, it's not even like her sponsors are particularly pissed off (assuming they sponsor her, I didn't check).

Although maybe they would be if all their players did the same.

bmforre
Snowbonk
Posts: 477
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: Trondheim

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by bmforre » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:43 am

dyqik wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:28 am
Since the CEO of Nike has declared support for Osaka's stance, it's not even like her sponsors are particularly pissed off (assuming they sponsor her, I didn't check).

Although maybe they would be if all their players did the same.
Good opportunity for this sponsor to show compassionate support for athlete's health and comfort.

tom p
Dorkwood
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:14 pm
Location: the low countries

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by tom p » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:47 am

dyqik wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:28 am
Since the CEO of Nike has declared support for Osaka's stance, it's not even like her sponsors are particularly pissed off (assuming they sponsor her, I didn't check).

Although maybe they would be if all their players did the same.
Of course *her* sponsors will support her.
However the her sponsors/vs tournament sponsors question has already been addressed

Holylol
Buzzberry
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:14 am

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by Holylol » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:18 am

bmforre wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:43 am
dyqik wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:28 am
Since the CEO of Nike has declared support for Osaka's stance, it's not even like her sponsors are particularly pissed off (assuming they sponsor her, I didn't check).

Although maybe they would be if all their players did the same.
Good opportunity for this sponsor to show compassionate support for athlete's health and comfort.
They seem to be concerned about athletes' health when there is a PR opportunity.
On the other hand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBwtCf2X5jw

WFJ
Stargoon
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:54 am

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by WFJ » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:50 am

tom p wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:47 am
dyqik wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:28 am
Since the CEO of Nike has declared support for Osaka's stance, it's not even like her sponsors are particularly pissed off (assuming they sponsor her, I didn't check).

Although maybe they would be if all their players did the same.
Of course *her* sponsors will support her.
However the her sponsors/vs tournament sponsors question has already been addressed
And even Perrier, for example, are hardly likely to make a statement saying they demand players continue to sit behind of a desk with bottles perfectly placed label forwards in front of them while answering questions. Unless their PR is even worse than the tournaments'.
Last edited by WFJ on Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Woodchopper
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3679
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: So how important is it to see sports players being interviewed?

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:54 am

JQH wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:19 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:58 am
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:46 am

Gosh, yes. I hadn't thought of that. How naive of me. If the players didn't do press conferences then companies like BNP Paribas wouldn't get any exposure for their sponsorship

b25lY21zOjM4YjcxY2EzLTlmYmYtNGU0YS1iZmFkLTQzM2FiYzllM2YzZTozZjY2NzlhYy1lNDNmLTRjZDUtYWNhNy01YjJiOTI0NTU5MmQ=.jpg
You are arguing against something that I didn't write.
My understanding of what you wrote, in context with the posts you were responding to, is that press conferences are necessary because event sponsors require media coverage of their logos. EPD was pointing out that they get coverage during the actual match so press conferences are not, in fact, necessary for this purpose.
My point since the beginning of the thread is that the press conferences are needed by the organizers in order to bring in as much money as possible. Of course they have other means of monetizing the contestants which they are using already. I'd be surprised if it wasn't the case that some of the brightest people in the world hadn't gone over every detail of a tournament in order to maximize how much money they are generating. Global sport is run by ruthless grasping capitalists, this is what they do.

Post Reply