Met Police was (and still is) institutionally corrupt

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: Met Police was (and still is) institutionally corrupt

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:11 am

It's worth pointing out that, across all forces (not just the Met),
Inquest wrote:Black, Asian and Minoritised Ethnicities (BAME) die disproportionately as a result of use of force or restraint by the police, raising serious questions of institutional racism as a contributory factor in their deaths.
https://www.inquest.org.uk/bame-deaths- ... ce-custody

More generally, black people are over-represented at every stage of the "justice" system:
from https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... ystem-2020

During the BLM protests in 2020 it was common to hear people confused about why there were protests in the UK, when racist policing is a US problem. It's clearly not the case - but I think the UK is in some ways quite far behind in its national conversation.

Still, thank f.ck British bobbies don't generally have guns. Makes it just that bit harder for them to destroy people's lives.
Tree dwellers leaping out the boughs shouting «Get the paper»
Trunk hugging rebels chucking petals at a detonator

jimbob
Stummy Beige

Post by jimbob » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:26 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:11 am
It's worth pointing out that, across all forces (not just the Met),
Inquest wrote:Black, Asian and Minoritised Ethnicities (BAME) die disproportionately as a result of use of force or restraint by the police, raising serious questions of institutional racism as a contributory factor in their deaths.
https://www.inquest.org.uk/bame-deaths- ... ce-custody

More generally, black people are over-represented at every stage of the "justice" system:
from https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... ystem-2020

During the BLM protests in 2020 it was common to hear people confused about why there were protests in the UK, when racist policing is a US problem. It's clearly not the case - but I think the UK is in some ways quite far behind in its national conversation.

Still, thank f.ck British bobbies don't generally have guns. Makes it just that bit harder for them to destroy people's lives.
I have retweeted this Communist rag's take on the data several times in reply to such questions about the UKs need for a Black lives matter campaign

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/12 ... 8vSxybU92Q
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Woodchopper
Light of Blast

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:01 pm

Former members of killer policeman Wayne Couzens’ elite unit shared sick messages including one celebrating the murder of George Floyd.

A Met Police whistleblower has come forward with a massive archive of racist, sexist and homophobic images in a WhatsApp group including ex-officers from the Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection command.

One celebrates the 2020 US police killing of Mr Floyd, which sparked the Black Lives Matter movement. A doctored photograph titled “Pink Floyd”, shows the victim’s dying moments as a Minneapolis officer kneels on his head.

Other messages shared in the group include an image of Prince Harry and wife Meghan with racist language.

And a picture was posted of a mocked-up T-shirt with an image of British BLM activist Sasha Johnson, who was shot last year, with a bullet hole in her head and the words “Black Lives Splatter”.

A spoof pandemic poster shows a white mother and child two metres from a black child and the comment: “Quite right, probably carrying a blade.”

There is an image of a hippopotamus sculpture captioned: “Guys... who votes we pull down this statue of Diane Abbott?”

And a message mocking the murder of Sarah Everard three days after Couzens’ arrest, says: “Sick b*****d, only a few people I can send this to will find it as funny as we do.”

The cache is the latest in a string of scandals which have resulted in the resignation this weekend of Met Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick.

Whistleblower Dave Eden 62, a member of the protection command in the 1990s, was in a WhatsApp group started in 2018.

Members had to be invited and vouched for by current and former PaDP officers, he said. It is also thought to have included serving and former non-PaDP officers.

He said Ms Dick had paid “lip service to prevention” and issued “meaningless diversity statements”.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/w ... t-26670931

jimbob
Stummy Beige

Post by jimbob » Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:00 pm

jimbob
Stummy Beige

Post by jimbob » Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:24 pm

jimbob wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:00 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ell-letter

Diddums
“We hear the criticism, know not everyone has confidence in us to provide a good service when they need us, and have seen among us those whose horrific actions have let you all, and us, down so terribly.

“Each one drives us to get better, to root out those who don’t uphold our standards and don’t deserve to wear our uniform. To improve our response so all our communities feel protected by us.

“We are listening and acting on what you tell us so we can change for the better. Just this week we launched our violence against women and girls plan, shaped by the views of hundreds of Londoners.”
She neglected to add "despite all evidence to the contrary"

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:00 pm

jimbob wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:00 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ell-letter

Diddums
Policing has been overtly politicised at least since the Miners Strike. Perhaps that escaped her notice.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:51 pm

Policing is intrinsically political. She doesn't like that the usual victims of that politics are slowly gaining a little ground.

jimbob
Stummy Beige

Post by jimbob » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:13 pm

And another set of Met police officers ignoring women's complaints about a now-convicted rapist.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... l-attacker
The Met said it handled the case properly and urged women to come forward. The force said it was “absolutely dedicated to achieving criminal justice outcomes for victim-survivors”. Police said they received one other complaint against Greliak, which was investigated and did not lead to charges.
Not sure how they can be so certain before investigating their response and the complaints of the women about the officers involved, but then I'm not as experienced in crime as senior members of the Met.

Gfamily
Stummy Beige

Post by Gfamily » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:39 pm

jimbob wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:13 pm
And another set of Met police officers ignoring women's complaints about a now-convicted rapist.

The Met said it handled the case properly and urged women to come forward. The force said it was “absolutely dedicated to achieving criminal justice outcomes for victim-survivors”. Police said they received one other complaint against Greliak, which was investigated and did not lead to charges.
Not sure how they can be so certain before investigating their response and the complaints of the women about the officers involved, but then I'm not as experienced in crime as senior members of the Met.
Fixed your link
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

jimbob
Stummy Beige

Post by jimbob » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:42 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:39 pm
jimbob wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:13 pm

Fixed your link
Cheers

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:53 pm

Met Police interfere in May local elections by covering up further criminal activity.

This is a clear breach of guidelines for civil servants, which says:
In particular, civil servants are under an obligation:... not to undertake any activity that could call into question their political impartiality. It is important to remember that this applies to online communication such as social media, in the same way as other activity.
In all cases essential business, which includes routine business necessary to ensure the continued smooth functioning of government and public services, must be allowed to continue.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:20 am

I give the UK

🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌 SEVEN BANANAS!!

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:24 am

Williams and Dos Santos were stopped at 1.20pm on 4 July 2020 in Maida Vale, north-west London, by officers from the Met’s Territorial Support Group.
... They were searched on suspicion of having drugs and weapons, with none found, while their three-month-old son was in the back seat. Both adults were handcuffed.

Officers are claimed to have said they believed they could smell cannabis as their justification for searching the two elite athletes.

Dos Santos was driving the Mercedes and Williams was in the rear seat with their baby.

The incident lasted an hour and the couple alleged a baton was raised by officers, some of whom are alleged to have been aggressive, with Dos Santos claiming he was “dragged” out of the car...

In July 2021, Dos Santos told the Guardian: “The officer dragged me out of the car with a raised baton and handcuffed me, he falsely alleged that he could smell cannabis on me and recorded this as the justification for the search on the stop and search form.”

The incident lasted around an hour. Nothing illegal was found and no arrests were made.
molto tricky

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:03 pm

And according to this thread they’re effectively in special measures https://twitter.com/theousherwood/statu ... orMSi9RFqg
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:14 pm

WTAF!

Wasn't told which specific words are offensive.
Time for a big fat one.

Grumble
Stummy Beige

Post by Grumble » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:35 pm

Opti wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:14 pm
WTAF!

Wasn't told which specific words are offensive.
Funnily enough I’ve never heard the word “downys” before reading that, but I realised it was offensive.
A bit churlish

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:17 pm

Just as an aside, I think “struggle snuggle” comes from a Jimmy Carr bit on 'rebranding' rape.