Violence associated with team sports played by other people

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Brightonian
Dorkwood

Re: Violence associated with team sports played by other people

Post by Brightonian » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:05 am

A series of 'near misses'. A perhaps unfortunate phrase that could refer to the game itself, but actually from Louise Casey's report saying that many people could have been injured or killed.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Re: Violence associated with team sports played by other people

Post by IvanV » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:53 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:04 am
Plus I think there's something unusual about the way the English drink and lose control.
One could say it has been going on for a long time. I recall the example of the 1147 Siege of Lisbon being cited in evidence. I think it was half intended as a joke, but in the circumstances it seems appropriate to repeat it.

Some Crusaders left Britain by ship, as part of what we now call the 2nd Crusade. Weather forced them to stop in Porto for a while, which was then the capital of Portugal, Lisbon still being in the hands of the Moors, as the rulers of Islamic Iberia are commonly described. There Alfonso I persuaded them to help him recapture Lisbon from the Moors. The crusaders agreed on condition of being allowed to pillage the city. A similar agreement had been made with another party of passing crusaders 5 years previously, which had led to an unsuccessful siege. This time, Lisbon fell after a 4 month siege. In part it was made easier because Alfonso had the idea of chasing Muslim populations from several other cities into Lisbon, thus putting greater pressure on the food supplies. On entering the city, apparently in their enthusiasm there was a lot more in the way putting to the sword etc than had been agreed with Alfonso. The place ended up thoroughly "cleansed", as Wikipedia euphemistically puts it. An Anglo-Norman source unconvincingly tries to blame this on some lawless Belgians and Germans present in the crusading force.

Apparently a majority of the crusaders then decided that was enough crusading for them, and Lisbon seemed nice, so they settled there.

But I think you will also find similar drinking/violence culture in the "Viking" nations. Though they have generally tried harder to suppress it through restrictions on purchasing alcohol and very high taxes.