Shortages in shops

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:08 am

My issue with Hefeweizen is that I once drunk lots of it, fell asleep, and woke up with a very yeasty mouth.

So now I always make sure to wash it down with another style of beer, or brush my teeth (with a bottle of Jack, as the proverb goes).
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:10 pm

I think the shortages have started affecting me. The British section* in my supermarket was suspiciously empty.

*It's about a metre wide.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:38 pm

monkey wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:10 pm
I think the shortages have started affecting me. The British section* in my supermarket was suspiciously empty.

Aka, about half a fathom
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:01 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:38 pm
monkey wrote:

Aka, about half a fathom
You'd need 157 to fill a football field the height of Nelson's column the size of Wales double-decker busses f.ck off.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:00 pm

shpalman wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:01 pm
Gfamily wrote:
monkey wrote:

Aka, about half a fathom
You'd need 157 to fill a football field the height of Nelson's column the size of Wales double-decker busses f.ck off.
Useless-Convertor-Bot wrote:3 feet is the length of exactly 8.98 'Standard Diatonic Key of C, Blues Silver grey Harmonicas' lined up next to each other.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:04 pm

Gfamily wrote:
monkey wrote:

Aka, about half a fathom
Careful now, I wouldn't be surprised if a USian fathom is different to an English one.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:16 pm

Possibly a depth fathom is completely different to a width fathom. How many cups of groceries does that British section normally hold?
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:20 pm

shpalman wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:16 pm
Possibly a depth fathom is completely different to a width fathom. How many cups of groceries does that British section normally hold?
Dunno, a few bushels worth, I reckon.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:23 pm

And it turns out a USian fathom is different - clicky

But only till 2023.
One fathom is equal to:

1.8288 metres exactly (outside US)
1.828804 m (in the U.S. until 2023)...

...In October 2019, U.S. National Geodetic Survey and National Institute of Standards and Technology announced their joint intent to retire the U.S. survey foot, with effect from the end of 2022. The fathom in U.S. Customary units is thereafter defined based on the International 1959 foot, giving the length of the fathom as exact 1.8288 meters in the United States as well.

WFJ
Catbabel

Post by WFJ » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:47 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:04 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:45 pm
I've heard Wetherspoons are suffering from beer shortages.

I'd indulge in some Schadenfreude but they've run out.
I prefer Schadenfreude Dunkel to the Hefe Hell.
Assuming you are talking about Weißbier, most (perhaps all) Dunkles is Hefeweißbier.

/beerpedantry

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:24 am

Over half of Britons affected, apparently
Global supply chain problems prompted by the pandemic have disrupted the international trade network since the summer, with transport backlogs combining with labour shortages to create scarcities of various goods around the world.

The government has argued that the shortages are part of a worldwide pattern and no worse in the UK than elsewhere, although logistics experts and other professionals – particularly in the food sector - have said the problems are amplified in Britain by a shortage of east European workers, including drivers, since Brexit.

The YouGov poll showed residents of the UK were multiple times more likely to have experienced, or to know people who have experienced, shortages of food and fuel than people in France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Sweden and Denmark, and somewhat more likely to have experienced them than those in the US.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... poll-finds
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:33 am

The only thing not available here is still Richmond sausages. It still exercises the ex-pat community. MInd you, there's been uproar this week that Burger King is now asking for Covid passes. Apparently I'm now living in a fascist state.

Even after 2+ years here I am still elated by the variety and quality of fresh veg and fruit available from local stores and markets. Hardly anyone buys their fruit and veg from supermarkets, consequently they don't stock a lot - and they're much more expensive.
Time for a big fat one.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:54 am

I'm still in Ireland at the moment and I've noticed the local Tesco keeps running out of own-brand products - can't get their cat litter at the moment, their tinned salmon has been unavailable for months, Windsor Castle gin (a Tesco brand) has been unavailable for a while, and other things I can't think of right now. I've not noticed any problems with non-own-brand products, so we simply are paying a bit more for other brands. Maybe it's the pingdemic, combined less ferry capacity between Britain and Ireland (I assume own brand stuff mostly comes via Dublin Port and that perhaps other brands are sourced from countries where they can use direct ferry routes), or maybe it's just the local Tesco being a bit inept.

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Post by Chris Preston » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:56 am

At the moment it is rapid antigen tests (otherwise known as lateral flow tests). Queensland and South Australia had rules that any incoming travellers had to have a negative PCR test in the 72 h before entering. This coupled with the wide spread of the omicron variant and the requirement of any close contact to have 3 negative tests broke the PCR testing system.

So rules were changed and RATS were substituted for PCR tests and you were banned from getting a PCR test for domestic travel. Led to all sorts of chaos, particularly as no one told stores this was going to happen.

Upshot was I had to cancel my test appointment and now I am the proud owner of 2 RATS after calling 7 different stores and waiting in line for an hour.
Here grows much rhubarb.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:00 am

Chris Preston wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:56 am
At the moment it is rapid antigen tests (otherwise known as lateral flow tests). Queensland and South Australia had rules that any incoming travellers had to have a negative PCR test in the 72 h before entering. This coupled with the wide spread of the omicron variant and the requirement of any close contact to have 3 negative tests broke the PCR testing system.

So rules were changed and RATS were substituted for PCR tests and you were banned from getting a PCR test for domestic travel. Led to all sorts of chaos, particularly as no one told stores this was going to happen.

Upshot was I had to cancel my test appointment and now I am the proud owner of 2 RATS after calling 7 different stores and waiting in line for an hour.
I tried three chemists and failed to get an LFT pack yesterday in London

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:08 am

Any objection to the lft type posts being moved to the covid testing capacity thread in the pandemic arena?

Or I could make it into a new thread in there related to testing capacity in Aus.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Post by Chris Preston » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:13 pm

My post was more about shortages in shops and a certain irony, the other information was just background. I won't be doing any follow up, so the post can stay here.
Here grows much rhubarb.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:12 pm

Morrisons to scrap ‘use-by’ dates from milk packaging

I assume they won't be happy with you opening bottles to sniff them in-store for freshness.
Bottles sold by the retailer will still carry “best before” dates.
Ok how many people know the difference?
If it smells sour then it may have spoiled. If it has curdled and lumps have formed that is also a sign it should not be used.

milky milky
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Aitch
Snowbonk

Post by Aitch » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:32 pm

Cor, 'e doesn't half look like Dick Spanner in that clip. :o
Some people call me strange.
I prefer unconventional.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept eccentric

Allo V Psycho
Catbabel

Post by Allo V Psycho » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:02 pm

Morrison's on Sunday was very low on fresh orange juice again, and on eggs, unusually. Driving up the M6 yesterday: lots of signs to EU drivers about necessary checks. Must be a pain.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:20 pm

Allo V Psycho wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:02 pm
Morrison's on Sunday was very low on fresh orange juice again, and on eggs, unusually. Driving up the M6 yesterday: lots of signs to EU drivers about necessary checks. Must be a pain.
I wonder if bird flu has had an impact there? There have been mass culls of chicken due to potential H5N1 infections.

Nickynockynoonoo
Stargoon

Post by Nickynockynoonoo » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:27 pm

" If it smells sour then it may have spoiled. If it has curdled and lumps have formed that is also a sign it should not be used.

It's food spoilage rather than pathogens. Sour milk makes lovely scones.

Cardinal Fang
Snowbonk

Post by Cardinal Fang » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:10 pm

What's annoying about milk is when it smells fine but when you pour it in to tea it curdles and turns in to what my goddaughter used to call "milk worms".

It would be helpful if milk smelled before it curdled

CF

Nickynockynoonoo
Stargoon

Post by Nickynockynoonoo » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:40 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:10 pm
What's annoying about milk is when it smells fine but when you pour it in to tea it curdles and turns in to what my goddaughter used to call "milk worms".

It would be helpful if milk smelled before it curdled

CF
Have you texted for Rona?

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:22 pm

Cream cheese. This has been going on for about a month now. Shelves were empty the other day, outside of a couple of vegan alternatives. Can still get cottage cheese and cheese cheese. I wouldn't be surprised if you can still get the squirty cheese too, but why would I bother looking?