Shortages in shops

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
cvb
Clardic Fug

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by cvb » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:14 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:25 am
Has anyone else in the UK (specifically London) noticed big gaps in the supermarket shelves? My Sainsbury's (quite a big one) has had shortages for a few weeks now, mostly its own-brand products. I'm assuming this is Brexit rather than Covid as they managed to keep the shelves stocked during the worst of the pandemic (after the initial panic buying was over).
Definitely shortages here, Belfast.

Empty shelves in both local Asda and Tescos.

Still enough fresh fruit and veg and meat but alcohol is very short. They have run out of some wines and beers and ciders and do not seem to be getting deliveries of these for a couple of weeks. Might be people just drinking to get through this though.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:49 pm

Coleslaw shortage today, among many other things.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:17 pm

It's getting serious - "KFC warns customers that menu will be missing items due to supply shortages"

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:03 pm

Here in Spain the shops are fully stocked ... except for British sausages. You can't even get them in Gib now. Some people are pissed off.
I don't eat meat so I don't care. Covid doesn't appear to have had much effect on the supply chain. Except for (especially) Richmond sausages. But not their veggie ones ;)
Time for a big fat one.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:35 pm

Opti wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:03 pm
Here in Spain the shops are fully stocked ... except for British sausages. You can't even get them in Gib now. Some people are pissed off.
I don't eat meat so I don't care. Covid doesn't appear to have had much effect on the supply chain. Except for (especially) Richmond sausages. But not their veggie ones ;)
Richmond are an Irish brand, so shouldn't be affected (unless you're saying they are still available).
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:47 pm

Nope, there haven't been any Richmond meat sausages here or in Gib since January. Nor any British bacon.
Time for a big fat one.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:19 pm

Opti wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:47 pm
Nope, there haven't been any Richmond meat sausages here or in Gib since January. Nor any British bacon.
It's possible they're being sent over the burger to the north, as GB sausages are now more difficult to import.

Regardless, it must be awfully upsetting.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:29 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:35 pm
Opti wrote:
Richmond are an Irish brand, so shouldn't be affected (unless you're saying they are still available).
Possible that part or all of the production is in the UK though.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:45 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:29 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Opti wrote:
And they were originally invented in Liverpool

WFJ
Catbabel

Post by WFJ » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:04 pm

Opti wrote:
Same in Germany. No Covid related supply problems since the Great Bog Roll Famine of March 2020. Can't think why Britain might have issues.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:24 pm

There were never any problems in Lombardy even when that was one of the worst-hit regions in Europe and you had to queue outside and a man dressed fully in Tyvek^TM checked your temperature on the way in.

And there are no problems in the supermarkets in Slovakia now, apart from the usual one of all the bread having caraway seeds in it for some f.cking reason.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:20 pm

shpalman wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:24 pm
There were never any problems in Lombardy even when that was one of the worst-hit regions in Europe and you had to queue outside and a man dressed fully in Tyvek^TM checked your temperature on the way in.

And there are no problems in the supermarkets in Slovakia now, apart from the usual one of all the bread having caraway seeds in it for some f.cking reason.
CF Germany, crisps and paprika.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:31 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:20 pm
shpalman wrote:

Paprika crisps are awesome.

WFJ
Catbabel

Post by WFJ » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:44 pm

monkey wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:31 pm
dyqik wrote:
shpalman wrote:

Paprika crisps in Germany are sweet bell pepper flavour, rather than the spicy flavour British people might expect. It is a popular crisp flavour, but would be easy to avoid and be clearly labelled as such.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:48 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:45 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Gfamily wrote:

Surely the problem would be that the main route from Ireland goes through the U.K. I know there’s a couple of direct ferries now from dun laoghaire to the continent, but it’s hardly matching the amount of trade from before Brexit.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:05 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:48 pm
Tessa K wrote:
Woodchopper wrote:

Surely the problem would be that the main route from Ireland goes through the U.K. I know there’s a couple of direct ferries now from dun laoghaire to the continent, but it’s hardly matching the amount of trade from before Brexit.
I believe there are a number of new direct routes, so there's 3 Irish ports with crossings to Roscoff or Cherbourg.

I think I saw a service being proposed to Le Havre as well, but not sure if it got established.
Meta? I'd say so!

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:12 pm

WFJ wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:44 pm
monkey wrote:
dyqik wrote:

Paprika crisps in Germany are sweet bell pepper flavour, rather than the spicy flavour British people might expect. It is a popular crisp flavour, but would be easy to avoid and be clearly labelled as such.
Easy to avoid if you decide not to buy crisps.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:35 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:05 pm
Grumble wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:48 pm
Tessa K wrote:

I believe there are a number of new direct routes, so there's 3 Irish ports with crossings to Roscoff or Cherbourg.

I think I saw a service being proposed to Le Havre as well, but not sure if it got established.
I saw this https://twitter.com/JJHTweets/status/14 ... 4421009408

There's also a less clear but more comprehensive map here: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8f1QNXXoAA ... name=small

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:37 am

They’re great I’m sure, but the capacity of those routes will inevitably be lower than the overland route with short ferry/chunnel crossings, simply due to how many lorries can travel in one day across the water.

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:47 am

You know, up here in the grim North I've seen no shortages of anything at all! All the shops are fully stocked. The only thing we can't get, which apparently hasn't been available for a long time, is Vim scouring powder. Do people just not use it anymore?
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:29 pm

Grumble wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:37 am
They’re great I’m sure, but the capacity of those routes will inevitably be lower than the overland route with short ferry/chunnel crossings, simply due to how many lorries can travel in one day across the water.
But these routes are only supplying/servicing Ireland (5 million people), not the UK and Ireland (70 million people), so nowhere near as much capacity is required.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:49 pm

dyqik wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:29 pm
Grumble wrote:
But these routes are only supplying/servicing Ireland (5 million people), not the UK and Ireland (70 million people), so nowhere near as much capacity is required.
Well the post I was responding to was about Irish sausages in Spain.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:28 pm

Grumble wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:49 pm
dyqik wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:29 pm
Grumble wrote:
Well the post I was responding to was about Irish sausages in Spain.
And so is my reply.

Ireland has a population 14 times smaller than UK plus Ireland. Its GDP is at least that much smaller, and so, roughly, was its traffic in exports and imports to the EU.

Pre-Brexit, its exports of sausages were part of exports that only made up about 1/14th of the UK's cross channel export capacity. And that's ignoring the exports that already went directly, so the actual proportion would be a bit lower. Thus the ferry capacity it needs to add to maintain exports to the EU is a lot lower than the old UK to EU capacity.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:40 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:12 pm
WFJ wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:44 pm
monkey wrote:

Easy to avoid if you decide not to buy crisps.
Now now, there's no need to go to extremes.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Beaker
Stargoon

Post by Beaker » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:57 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Gfamily wrote:
Opti wrote:
In Hyde, near Manchester.