Shortages in shops

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
veravista
Catbabel

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by veravista » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:52 pm

My local shop has run out of Haribo Golden Bears for 4 or 5 weeks. The owner hasn't been able to get them from the cash and carry. I need them to play golf. Life is going to hell in a hand cart.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:21 pm

At least they've still got dark chocolate Bahlsen Choco Leibnitz, my favourite biscuit - and on special offer.

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:36 pm

dyqik wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:28 pm
14 times smaller
Lost for words.
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:00 am

Opti wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:47 pm
Nope, there haven't been any Richmond meat sausages here or in Gib since January. Nor any British bacon.
We have back bacon in Lidl, with a label on from Moll's Meats of Birmingham. It's not always in stock, but it is perhaps 2/3 of the time, which is as likely to be due to Lidl's stock policies as it is Brexit. Another local supermarket has the same bacon with a different label, but sometimes they have a Spanish brand called Westfalia which is just as good (not sure if it's cured/cut in Spain or not).
Something something hammer something something nail

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:00 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:00 am
Opti wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:47 pm
Nope, there haven't been any Richmond meat sausages here or in Gib since January. Nor any British bacon.
We have back bacon in Lidl, with a label on from Moll's Meats of Birmingham. It's not always in stock, but it is perhaps 2/3 of the time, which is as likely to be due to Lidl's stock policies as it is Brexit. Another local supermarket has the same bacon with a different label, but sometimes they have a Spanish brand called Westfalia which is just as good (not sure if it's cured/cut in Spain or not).
A Spanish brand called Westfalia?
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:44 am

Martin_B wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:00 am
A Spanish brand called Westfalia?
I presume they think that their portfolio of products, which includes bratwurst, will have more credibility with the punters with an appropriate-looking name. Compare Hofmeister lager.
Something something hammer something something nail

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:21 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:44 am
... Compare Hofmeister lager.
(Slight off-topic swerve)
Which is one of a number of old brand names which have been bought and resurrected. Except now it's a label on imported Bavarian beer. I guess it provides instant brand recognition but for customers who were too young to drink it first time around or at least have forgotten what it was like. I believe Party 7 and Watney's Red Barrel have been snapped up similarly.

It's a bit reminiscent of the big German car brands dividing up the Rover group portfolio of brand names. I remember BMW were keen to get Riley and I couldn't understand why. For anyone of my generation that name only called to mind a tarted up Mini with an absurd posh grille which a few old people liked for no discernible reason.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:39 am

I keep finding a favourite brand is owned by some anonymous company that is owned by holding company, itself owned by a hedge fund and a private equity outfit. :(

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:43 am

Turkey sausages are back in Sainsbury's. I bought two packs which may or may not count as hoarding.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:48 am

Tessa K wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:43 am
Turkey sausages are back in Sainsbury's. I bought two packs which may or may not count as hoarding.
No. I think it's panic buying.

Hunting Dog
Fuzzable

Post by Hunting Dog » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:28 pm

Millennie Al wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:48 am
Tessa K wrote:
It's definitely desperation. Turkey :) , Sausages :) , the two as a combined concept :cry: - though not quite as bad as turkey bacon!

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:38 pm

Hunting Dog wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:28 pm
Millennie Al wrote:
Tessa K wrote:
It's definitely desperation. Turkey :) , Sausages :) , the two as a combined concept :cry: - though not quite as bad as turkey bacon!
They are surprisingly meaty and much lower in fat than regular sausages. Turkey bacon doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence.

Don't sausage shame me.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:30 am

jdc wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:17 pm
It's getting serious - "KFC warns customers that menu will be missing items due to supply shortages"
Nandos now: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58249337

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:18 am

Tessa K wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:38 pm
Hunting Dog wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:28 pm
Millennie Al wrote:

They are surprisingly meaty and much lower in fat than regular sausages. Turkey bacon doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence.

Don't sausage shame me.
Hey it’s your choice to gobble-gobble-gobble them.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:36 pm

jdc wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:30 am
jdc wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:17 pm
It's getting serious - "KFC warns customers that menu will be missing items due to supply shortages"
Nandos now: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58249337
Truly the death of British civilisation.

I'm also hearing reports of pharmacies running out of prescription drugs, which is cool.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

temptar
Fuzzable

Post by temptar » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:37 am

I see Richmond Sausages are owned by Kerry Foods but to be honest, I don't know a single person who eats them and until I heard that the British couldn't get their hands on them, I did not know they existed. In fact, absolutely every single reference I see to them is British based.

So yeah, I'm mystified. We eat Clonakilty sausages at home and sometimes Denny. It's possible Richmond exists but if they do, I never noticed them in my local Supervalu or Tesco.

Which says ... something.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:48 am

temptar wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:37 am
I see Richmond Sausages are owned by Kerry Foods but to be honest, I don't know a single person who eats them and until I heard that the British couldn't get their hands on them, I did not know they existed. In fact, absolutely every single reference I see to them is British based.

So yeah, I'm mystified. We eat Clonakilty sausages at home and sometimes Denny. It's possible Richmond exists but if they do, I never noticed them in my local Supervalu or Tesco.

Is this an example of one of those foods that are sold as being from one country to make them sound more interesting when they're not? There used to be adverts for a brand of coffee that they claimed was what French people drink but you'd never find it in France. I doubt any self-respecting Italian would use Dolmio sauces, which are made by Mars.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:49 am

Went to the cash-and-carry yesterday on a supply run for the in-laws cafe.

Posters plastered all over, imposing purchase restrictions in order to “conserve stocks”, e.g only 5x12 500ml bottles of soft drinks in total, which sort of defeats the point of having a cash-and-carry or trying to stock more than 5 types of soft drink or serve more than 60 customers.

So it’s clear the whole logistic chain is gumming up.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:53 am

Tessa K wrote: I doubt any self-respecting Italian would use Dolmio sauces, which are made on Mars.
:shock:

Explains why it’s the Red Planet.

IIRC Ragu (“brings the Italian out in ... YOU!)” is made by the Dutch, the nation whose national dish is a cheese-and-ham toastie ;)

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:58 am

Tessa K wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:48 am
temptar wrote:

Is this an example of one of those foods that are sold as being from one country to make them sound more interesting when they're not? There used to be adverts for a brand of coffee that they claimed was what French people drink but you'd never find it in France. I doubt any self-respecting Italian would use Dolmio sauces, which are made by Mars.
They don't have Foster's in Australia either, apparently.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:52 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:58 am
Not quite true. You can get it in most bottle shops, but it's not the most popular beer over here.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:53 am

Martin_B wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:52 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:58 am
Not quite true. You can get it in most bottle shops, but it's not the most popular beer over here.
I stand corrected! Thanks.

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:54 am

Realised that we'd run out of toothpaste this morning so did a quick fly-by shop in our big local Sainsburys. None of the brand we normally use (Sensodyne) apart from the paint stripper versions, no peppermint tea bags, own brand ground coffee, coffee filters, marmite (never is nowadays - buy it bulk on line anyway) or Shredded Wheat. Basically everything I wanted....

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:04 pm

temptar wrote:

We bought them a couple of times (maybe just once) when we were just starting out and didn't have much money, but they weren't great.
So I'm not sure if I know anyone who eats them either.

My aunt used to bring some amazing sausages over from Dublin in the 60s and 70s, but they were sooo rich it was a bit much for my young palate.
Lovely white pudding too
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:03 pm

Pasta shelves in Sainsbury’s were about 10% full, plus no bottled water again. Oils seems a bit low as well.