Shortages in shops

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Post Reply
User avatar
jaap
Snowbonk
Posts: 388
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:05 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by jaap » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:55 am

Martin_B wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:28 am
According to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_float there were certainly more than one company who made milk floats. Although the industry did seem to be as busy buying each other as actually making vehicles.

The Wiki page also says that Britain had more BEVs than all other countries in the world combined - almost all of them milk floats (I'm assuming that they didn't count other battery vehicles such as fork-lift trucks!) Milk floats seem to be an almost uniquely British thing.
In the Netherlands we used to have the SRV van which was basically a small grocery in an electric van, though milkfloats by the same manufacturer were not uncommon.

plodder
After Pie
Posts: 1701
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by plodder » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:49 am

I used to run a small fleet of repurposed milk floats. They are very solid vehicles and so simple that they're easy to maintain. Spares are a hassle, especially the batteries and chargers, and the steering and brakes on the ones are extremely heavy. Nothing wrong with the principle though, if you're doing local delivery routes.

User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 4194
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by dyqik » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:23 am

There's been a bit of reorganization of towns as well, with distribution centers (incl. supermarkets) now on the outskirts of enlarging towns, and fairly large developments of houses with minimal space to put the distribution center in the midst of the places it's delivering to.

Which means a delivery vehicle needs decent speed for the few miles of distance before it starts its door-to-door work.

Bigger and better fridges at home and better processing (and diet changes) means that daily milk deliveries aren't needed so much, either, so it's unlikely that you'd ever go back to every house needing a delivery on every daily run. Although I could imagine a supermarket delivery service that charged less if you got your delivery on the designated day for your area.

User avatar
veravista
Snowbonk
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:29 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the earth

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by veravista » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:36 am

We've had our milk delivered for as long as we've been in this house (25ish years) and the milk float was only replaced about 10 years ago when milk'n'more took over the distribution. They were the only reliable milk supply around here* during the first lockdown so lots of people tried to sign up and we still have a healthy delivery round. Also do some groceries and during the lockdown did flour and tonic water!

*for proper milk we now use the local farm, straight from the cow (almost). It's lovely on cereal and for porridge...

User avatar
Opti
Catbabel
Posts: 911
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:21 pm
Location: Got a home right by the sea.

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by Opti » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:10 pm

veravista wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:36 am

*for proper milk we now use the local farm, straight from the cow (almost). It's lovely on cereal and for porridge...
Aaahhh 8-)

When I worked at the old MAFF Central Vet Laboratory in Weybridge, we used to get 'straight from the cow 'milk for our morning 'milky coffee'. Unpasteurised, fully leaded from our own herd, on site. It was lush. I used to date a girl who worked in the Virology dept., once a week she got calves liver straight from the 'sacrifice'. It was absolutely delicious.
I don't eat meat anymore.

edit: I used to be based in the delightfully named department, Diseases of Breeding.

edit to previous edit: No wonder I left, out of curiosity I just looked at pay for SSOs there now. It's still sh.t.
Time for a big fat one.

User avatar
Little waster
Dorkwood
Posts: 1579
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am
Location: About 1 inch behind my eyes

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by Little waster » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:30 am

As a nipper we used to get the tooth-decaytastic “coke floats” which was a glass of full-fat coke with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the top.

I suppose if you did the same to make a “milk float” you’d end up with a milkshake ... and bring all the boys to the yard.

This post was brought to you by the Elderly Rambling Unrelated Reminiscences Society.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

User avatar
basementer
Dorkwood
Posts: 1026
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm
Location: Aotearoa
Contact:

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by basementer » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:37 am

Little waster wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:30 am
As a nipper we used to get the tooth-decaytastic “coke floats” which was a glass of full-fat coke with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the top.
In Aus/NZ these are called "spiders", for reasons nobody has ever explained to me.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

User avatar
Little waster
Dorkwood
Posts: 1579
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am
Location: About 1 inch behind my eyes

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by Little waster » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:42 am

basementer wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:37 am
Little waster wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:30 am
As a nipper we used to get the tooth-decaytastic “coke floats” which was a glass of full-fat coke with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the top.
In Aus/NZ these are called "spiders", for reasons nobody has ever explained to me.
Given the fact Aus is essentially a flaming ball of nightmarish, venomous arachnids, I can’t see any way that could possibly go wrong with small children.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by shpalman » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:02 am

Little waster wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:30 am
As a nipper we used to get the tooth-decaytastic “coke floats” which was a glass of full-fat coke with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the top.
Your coke had fat in it?
Little waster wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:30 am
I suppose if you did the same to make a “milk float” you’d end up with a milkshake ... and bring all the boys to the yard.

This post was brought to you by the Elderly Rambling Unrelated Reminiscences Society.
You can get ice cream "drowned" in coffee here.
molto tricky

User avatar
Woodchopper
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3989
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:41 am

shpalman wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:02 am
Little waster wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:30 am
As a nipper we used to get the tooth-decaytastic “coke floats” which was a glass of full-fat coke with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the top.
Your coke had fat in it?
There's a choice between diet coke and fat coke (with sugar in it).

User avatar
veravista
Snowbonk
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:29 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the earth

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by veravista » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:46 am

Or leaded and unleaded as they call it round here.

All moot anyway because they had very little of either in Sainsburys yesterday (not that I'd buy it) and were doing the 'line the cans at he front so you don't notice the lack' trick.

bagpuss
Catbabel
Posts: 945
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by bagpuss » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:02 am

dyqik wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:23 am
...Although I could imagine a supermarket delivery service that charged less if you got your delivery on the designated day for your area.
I suspect we're not far from that happening. Ocado currently highlights slots where someone local to you already has a delivery booked, with a little green van, so you can pick from those. No cheaper*, just the smug value. Of course, there's always the issue that the other person could then change their delivery slot and you'll never know that your slot is no longer "green". But if they designated a particular day for my area then I'd happily switch to that whenever I could.




*At least, I don't think so, I have a Smart Pass which I pay for annually and it then gets me deliveries whenever I want at no additional cost for a year, so I don't ever see the prices of slots.

User avatar
Opti
Catbabel
Posts: 911
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:21 pm
Location: Got a home right by the sea.

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by Opti » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:04 am

Little waster wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:30 am


This post was brought to you by the Elderly Rambling Unrelated Reminiscences Society.
I appear to be a member of that lately :lol:
Time for a big fat one.

User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 4194
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by dyqik » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:04 am

bagpuss wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:02 am
dyqik wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:23 am
...Although I could imagine a supermarket delivery service that charged less if you got your delivery on the designated day for your area.
I suspect we're not far from that happening. Ocado currently highlights slots where someone local to you already has a delivery booked, with a little green van, so you can pick from those. No cheaper*, just the smug value. Of course, there's always the issue that the other person could then change their delivery slot and you'll never know that your slot is no longer "green". But if they designated a particular day for my area then I'd happily switch to that whenever I could.




*At least, I don't think so, I have a Smart Pass which I pay for annually and it then gets me deliveries whenever I want at no additional cost for a year, so I don't ever see the prices of slots.
Amazon does do this already, I realized. They give you credit for digital purchases if you set up your orders to all be delivered on the same (designated by them) day of the week.

bagpuss
Catbabel
Posts: 945
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by bagpuss » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:08 am

dyqik wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:04 am
bagpuss wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:02 am
dyqik wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:23 am
...Although I could imagine a supermarket delivery service that charged less if you got your delivery on the designated day for your area.
I suspect we're not far from that happening. Ocado currently highlights slots where someone local to you already has a delivery booked, with a little green van, so you can pick from those. No cheaper*, just the smug value. Of course, there's always the issue that the other person could then change their delivery slot and you'll never know that your slot is no longer "green". But if they designated a particular day for my area then I'd happily switch to that whenever I could.




*At least, I don't think so, I have a Smart Pass which I pay for annually and it then gets me deliveries whenever I want at no additional cost for a year, so I don't ever see the prices of slots.
Amazon does do this already, I realized. They give you credit for digital purchases if you set up your orders to all be delivered on the same (designated by them) day of the week.
Oh yes, so they do. Although (here, anyway) you can also pick your own "Amazon day". Not sure if the benefits vary depending on whether you pick one or use the suggested one but I definitely get credit on some of my deliveries and I chose my own Amazon day.

User avatar
science_fox
Fuzzable
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:34 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by science_fox » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:11 am

shpalman wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:02 am
Little waster wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:30 am
As a nipper we used to get the tooth-decaytastic “coke floats” which was a glass of full-fat coke with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the top.
Your coke had fat in it?
Little waster wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:30 am
I suppose if you did the same to make a “milk float” you’d end up with a milkshake ... and bring all the boys to the yard.

This post was brought to you by the Elderly Rambling Unrelated Reminiscences Society.
You can get ice cream "drowned" in coffee here.
There's an alcoholic version (liqueur coffee) quite common as a dessert option in restaurants. It's nice.
I'm not afraid of catching Covid, I'm afraid of catching idiot.

User avatar
Tessa K
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2797
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by Tessa K » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:39 am

science_fox wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:11 am
shpalman wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:02 am
Little waster wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:30 am
As a nipper we used to get the tooth-decaytastic “coke floats” which was a glass of full-fat coke with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the top.
Your coke had fat in it?
Little waster wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:30 am
I suppose if you did the same to make a “milk float” you’d end up with a milkshake ... and bring all the boys to the yard.

This post was brought to you by the Elderly Rambling Unrelated Reminiscences Society.
You can get ice cream "drowned" in coffee here.
There's an alcoholic version (liqueur coffee) quite common as a dessert option in restaurants. It's nice.
Or if you want the pudding version, ile flottante.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW
Posts: 6861
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:44 pm

shpalman wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:02 am
Little waster wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:30 am
As a nipper we used to get the tooth-decaytastic “coke floats” which was a glass of full-fat coke with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the top.
Your coke had fat in it?
Little waster wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:30 am
I suppose if you did the same to make a “milk float” you’d end up with a milkshake ... and bring all the boys to the yard.

This post was brought to you by the Elderly Rambling Unrelated Reminiscences Society.
You can get ice cream "drowned" in coffee here.
What's that called again?

I used to know, but
Spoiler:
He has the grace of a swan, the wisdom of an owl, and the eye of an eagle—ladies and gentlemen, this man is for the birds!

bagpuss
Catbabel
Posts: 945
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by bagpuss » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:21 pm

No ice lollies on Ocado due to national shortage of dry ice, apparently.
Attachments
no dry ice.png
no dry ice.png (19.05 KiB) Viewed 210 times

User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by shpalman » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:23 pm

bagpuss wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:21 pm
No ice lollies on Ocado due to national shortage of dry ice, apparently.
Good job you don't actually need it to top up boxes of Pfizer vaccines.
molto tricky

User avatar
bolo
Catbabel
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:17 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by bolo » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:54 pm

Not a shop, exactly, but: There's a shortage of liquid oxygen for space launch because the supply is all going to hospitals for Covid patients. And there's a shortage of liquid nitrogen for space launch because some of the tanker trucks usually used to deliver liquid nitrogen have been converted to deliver liquid oxygen -- to hospitals for Covid patients.

bagpuss
Catbabel
Posts: 945
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by bagpuss » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:36 pm

shpalman wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:23 pm
bagpuss wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:21 pm
No ice lollies on Ocado due to national shortage of dry ice, apparently.
Good job you don't actually need it to top up boxes of Pfizer vaccines.
I am assuming that all those inconsiderate people wanting to transport vaccines are the ones stopping me from buying ice lollies for the bagkitten. Just rude.

User avatar
veravista
Snowbonk
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:29 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the earth

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by veravista » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:49 pm

Pub this evening. No Carling or Heineken (hooray), no Bass (boo) but couple of nice local brewery beers. Peanuts but no crisps. And no delivery tomorrow either.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW
Posts: 6861
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:45 pm

I've heard Wetherspoons are suffering from beer shortages.

I'd indulge in some Schadenfreude but they've run out.
He has the grace of a swan, the wisdom of an owl, and the eye of an eagle—ladies and gentlemen, this man is for the birds!

User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 4194
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: Shortages in shops

Post by dyqik » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:04 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:45 pm
I've heard Wetherspoons are suffering from beer shortages.

I'd indulge in some Schadenfreude but they've run out.
I prefer Schadenfreude Dunkel to the Hefe.

Post Reply