Lord Botham: Trade Envoy

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:12 am

If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Re: Lord Botham: Trade Envoy

Post by Chris Preston » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:23 am

Comes from a long line of tradition

Suggestions here (where people have actually noticed, which is not many) is that Basil Fawlty would have made a better choice.
Here grows much rhubarb.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:53 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:12 am
I mean.
Let me guess. They saw he was heading to Australia for the Ashes and thought up a bit of free publicity.

Or possibly, he wanted to come to Australia for the Ashes but couldn't get in, so became a trade envoy to get his entry fast-tracked.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:08 am

Botham actually makes some sense.

The role of the envoy is to get Australians to turn up to events which involve British businesses. Australians of a certain age will have heard of him and its possible that his presence would encourage a few to turn up to a cocktail party or similar. Australia is an important market and it seems worth appointing a trade envoy for that country.

But what the f.ck:
Sir Jeffrey Donaldson, the DUP leader, has been appointed a trade envoy to Cameroon. He already serves as a trade envoy to Egypt.
Cameroon? Does Donaldson even speak fluent French, which he'll need to if he's to shmooze with the business or political elites? Is there more than a minimal amount of British trade with what is one of the poorest countries in the world? They are in the middle of an insurgency against the anglophone regions in the north west of the country. So maybe there are some arms sales to be made.

Seems a very odd choice for one in 10 of the envoys.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:39 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:08 am
Is there more than a minimal amount of British trade with what is one of the poorest countries in the world?
Cameroon is the UK’s 120th largest trading partner, accounting for less than 0.1% of total UK trade. In 2019 trade in goods and services between the UK and Cameroon was worth £200 million.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:49 pm

jdc wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:39 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Is there more than a minimal amount of British trade with what is one of the poorest countries in the world?
Cameroon is the UK’s 120th largest trading partner, accounting for less than 0.1% of total UK trade. In 2019 trade in goods and services between the UK and Cameroon was worth £200 million.
Its obviously a market with a great potential for growth.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:15 pm

Sounds like a sinecure for someone they wanted to give a bung to, but don't consider especially competent and would prefer out of the way.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:57 am

Woodchopper wrote:

The role of the envoy is to get Australians to turn up to events which involve British businesses. Australians of a certain age will have heard of him and its possible that his presence would encourage a few to turn up to a cocktail party or similar. Australia is an important market and it seems worth appointing a trade envoy for that country.
Yes, I don't see the problem as long as he isn't expected to negotiate the subtleties of different sorts of nut oil quotas. In fact it's probably cheaper and more effective to send a celeb along with the party than a massive yacht. (As long as he doesn't start circulating pictures of his knob, obviously.)
Something something hammer something something nail

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:38 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:15 pm
Sounds like a sinecure for someone they wanted to give a bung to, but don't consider especially competent and would prefer out of the way.
I also wonder if there's an old-school missionary element to his going there.

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:03 pm

Funny story, and I'm sure this has *no* bearing on the matter, really, honestly guv, it's all above board, but Ian Botham has commercial interests in an Australia deal as he runs a wine company that imports from... wait, let me just check here... yes, Australia.

https://bothamwines.com/
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:54 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:57 am
Woodchopper wrote:

Yes, I don't see the problem as long as he isn't expected to negotiate the subtleties of different sorts of nut oil quotas. In fact it's probably cheaper and more effective to send a celeb along with the party than a massive yacht. (As long as he doesn't start circulating pictures of his knob, obviously.)
You've not met Australian businessmen, then? For some this would enhance the deal, as he's a 'proper bloke' :roll:
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"