Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

The Antidote to Global Warming - Nuclear Holocaust

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:48 pm

- Cool the world down
- Reverse ocean acidification
- Reduce human overpopulation

Plus, I'm sure, other benefits. A few cons here and there though.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00794-y
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Re: The Antidote to Global Warming - Nuclear Holocaust

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:51 pm

Yes, its been out of fashion for a while, but people really should worry a lot more about nuclear war.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:00 pm

It all depends what your priorities are.

If you want a near-pristine planet, then the eradication of humans, or at least readjusting them to the palaeolithic condition, would be very big step towards that.

Palaeolithic diets are all the rage. If some people found eradication a little radical, then perhaps they could be first persuaded to take on a palaeolithic diet. Then later they might accept the advantages of other aspects of a palaeolithic lifestyle. Population level adjustment would likely follow naturally.

It has long struck me that the ruler who demonstrated precisely how carbon output can be rapidly reduced, making wider use of at least neolithic technologies and lifestyles, was Pol Pot. Practically overnight, most carbon-emitting activities ceased. If that reduced the population-carrying capacity of the economy by about a third, well that was a positive step too, as my previous discussion indicates. Unfortunately, this led to a situation where there was a profiteering opportunity from external meddlers such as neighbouring countries, who could easily invade and replace the government. Maddeningly, there was money to be made by restarting activties that undid the large environmental benefits which had been so hard won by the population.

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:33 pm

If I were making the decisions, I'd start with clean water, move on to sewers, with a bit of educating women along the way, pensions , health care, general education to at least age 16, clean energy.... These are all ways to reduce populations and improve everything. But these are not things you can impose on a country.

Nuclear winter would be a lot easier and frankly, more electorally popular :?
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.