Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: UK drug policy

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:35 am

dyqik wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:19 am
bjn wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:57 pm
Is legalising/decriminalising actually politically toxic? The politicians behave as if it is, but I can’t see a significant majority getting wound up by the legalisation of marijuana say.
I think it's one of those asymmetric political footballs, like abortion or gun rights in the US. Or prohibition a century ago.

There's a small but dedicated bunch of people who make a lot of noise in opposition, and a quieter* majority that thinks it'd be nice if everyone could be a bit more sensible about that and lots of other things.

*Not a silent majority, but one that actually exists.
I get the impression in the UK it would be very unpopular with the right-wing press, who call a lot of the shots.

A quick google finds a slim majority of the UK public in favour of "decriminalisation or legalisation" of weed, which is a bit hard vs. soft brexit but clearly there are a lot of people happy with the current stupid situation.
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... -towards-c
https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/ ... ugs-policy
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:46 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:35 am
dyqik wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:19 am
bjn wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:57 pm
Is legalising/decriminalising actually politically toxic? The politicians behave as if it is, but I can’t see a significant majority getting wound up by the legalisation of marijuana say.
I think it's one of those asymmetric political footballs, like abortion or gun rights in the US. Or prohibition a century ago.

There's a small but dedicated bunch of people who make a lot of noise in opposition, and a quieter* majority that thinks it'd be nice if everyone could be a bit more sensible about that and lots of other things.

*Not a silent majority, but one that actually exists.
I get the impression in the UK it would be very unpopular with the right-wing press, who call a lot of the shots.

A quick google finds a slim majority of the UK public in favour of "decriminalisation or legalisation" of weed, which is a bit hard vs. soft brexit but clearly there are a lot of people happy with the current stupid situation.
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... -towards-c
https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/ ... ugs-policy
After accounting for the influence of the press and how it can shape the views of people around things that they don't care about very much, that's pretty much what I mean.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:16 pm

Fair dos.

Would be interesting to see if there were big swings in public opinion once serious discussion of legalisation started in the various US states and Canada where it's happened.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:11 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:16 pm
Fair dos.

Would be interesting to see if there were big swings in public opinion once serious discussion of legalisation started in the various US states and Canada where it's happened.
There's a fairly big difference between the US and the UK, in that most of the mainstream UK press outlets are right wing and reactionary, while most of the mainstream US ones (with one glaring exception) are centrist and less reactionary/campaign driven. There's also a big difference in balance between TV news and print news.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:36 am

shpalman wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:04 am
Post-Brexit passport validity issues have nothing to do with covid.
shpalman wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:16 am
Martin_B wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:22 am

Did they only add the remaining validity to your passport for a while? My first passport was from Jun '90 to Jun '00. The next was from April '00 to April '10, the 3rd from Sep '09 to April '20, and the most recent Jan '20 to Jan '30. So on 3 renewals twice I've lost ~3 months and the other they gave me a passport which lasted 10 years and 6 months (and 11 days!)
I don't remember my previous ones but I definitely had it on the one which I've just replaced.
Even though Dr Tiganescu had six months left before her UK passport expires, she was barred from the flight and could not head off on the week-long trip because her passport was issued more than 10 years ago.
Thread jump! This started in the International Travel thread.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:04 am

Gfamily wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:36 am
shpalman wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:04 am
Post-Brexit passport validity issues have nothing to do with covid.
shpalman wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:16 am

I don't remember my previous ones but I definitely had it on the one which I've just replaced.
Even though Dr Tiganescu had six months left before her UK passport expires, she was barred from the flight and could not head off on the week-long trip because her passport was issued more than 10 years ago.
Thread jump! This started in the International Travel thread.
Sorry I was aiming for Brexit consequences, not sure what happened there.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:13 am

I've moved the post now
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:15 am

Ah it's because that thread is locked, what with all the consequences of Brexit having been resolved.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:16 am

Ohh right. Did another one ever get started?

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:36 am

Having check out the annals of the mod penthouse, we locked it because it was, in essence, a sh.t thread. There's still the possibility of starting a new one - would you like me to move the post into its own new thread on the topic?

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:45 am

It became a sh.t thread because one poster refusing to accept anything bad associated with Brexit.

I believe there is a rather empty thread on the benefits of Brexit.

Personally, I'd like a new thread
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation