Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
jimbob
Light of Blast

Why are there so many incompetent male leaders

Post by jimbob » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:11 pm

Interesting article in the Harvard Business Review

https://hbr.org/2013/08/why-do-so-many-incompetent-men

Posted by a friend on Facebook, with the following
Help me out here. I’m trying to think of incompetent men who have become leaders to substantiate this argument. Can’t think of any. Examples please.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Gawdzilla Sama
Clardic Fug

Re: Why are there so many incompetent male leaders

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:33 pm

Rich people can reach positions of leadership based solely on the criterion that they're rich.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:23 pm

jimbob wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:11 pm
Posted by a friend on Facebook, with the following
Help me out here. I’m trying to think of incompetent men who have become leaders to substantiate this argument. Can’t think of any. Examples please.
"The paper holds their folded faces to the floor, and every day the paper boy brings more."

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:08 pm

jimbob wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:11 pm
Interesting article in the Harvard Business Review

https://hbr.org/2013/08/why-do-so-many-incompetent-men
I agree with that article. I'll just add that the over confident incompetent narcissists seem to desperately want positions of authority in order to validate their delusions of grandeur. Whereas the the competent people are often reluctant take on leadership roles due to how much extra work would be needed to do it well (which the narcissists don't care about, as they aren't interested in actually doing the job well).

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:11 pm

Here's a very interesting podcast on Rob Ford, the incompetent narcissist who got to be mayor of Toronto by lying a lot and telling people what they wanted to hear (and then being caught smoking crack).

https://www.680news.com/2019/10/15/grav ... -rob-ford/

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:31 pm

I think there is also an element of its being important to have a decisive leader.

Ideally have someone in charge who can make clever decisions, but their being clever is not necessarily so important as their ability to make decisions. You can have a dim narcissist or psychopath in charge with clever advisors who aren't themselves psychologically equipped to cope with the stress of making hard decisions (like sacking a whole lot of people) and that can work just as well as having a genius in charge. They do say that psychopaths are overrepresented in high management positions and you can see why - they don't suffer any distress at making hard business decisions which affect other people.

The greatest risk might be that you get someone just a bit too dim and so lacking in self-doubt that he just goes with his gut instincts as he can't understand the strategies his smart advisors are explaining.

Oh boy. That rings a bell.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:31 pm
I think there is also an element of its being important to have a decisive leader.

Ideally have someone in charge who can make clever decisions, but their being clever is not necessarily so important as their ability to make decisions. You can have a dim narcissist or psychopath in charge with clever advisors who aren't themselves psychologically equipped to cope with the stress of making hard decisions (like sacking a whole lot of people) and that can work just as well as having a genius in charge. They do say that psychopaths are overrepresented in high management positions and you can see why - they don't suffer any distress at making hard business decisions which affect other people.

The greatest risk might be that you get someone just a bit too dim and so lacking in self-doubt that he just goes with his gut instincts as he can't understand the strategies his smart advisors are explaining.

Oh boy. That rings a bell.
Yes. For your strategy to work the narcissist needs to have enough self awareness to realize that his advisers are much more intelligent, and he should do what they say. But narcissists aren't usually that self aware.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:51 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:31 pm
I think that's part of it. People assume that someone who is very confident in their own abilities will be decisive.

rockdoctor
Clardic Fug

Post by rockdoctor » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:00 pm

I think the analysis misses an obvious factor that may be even more significant; size (mainly height, but also strength and bulk).
Humans are just gussied-up monkeys and our brains work at various levels. I think there is a deep instinct to treat bigger, stronger people as leaders.
I have been in industry for 27 years and I noticed early on that the majority of managers were tall. I am not.
It must be a combination of child-memory of daddy and wanting to follow someone who can protect you.

I wonder if women leaders are taller than the average woman, or is there another aspect which is more valued?

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:15 pm

One of the Cautionary Tales podcasts I listened to this week pointed out that the last time the shorter US presidential candidate won was mumble decades ago.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:59 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:15 pm
One of the Cautionary Tales podcasts I listened to this week pointed out that the last time the shorter US presidential candidate won was mumble decades ago.
Carter. It was an interesting observation.

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Post by Pucksoppet » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:32 pm

Because either:

(a) incompetent women have not been given the chance yet, due to discrimination; or
(b) there are no incompetent women.

To support (b), I offer two quotations:

"Sure, he was great, but don't forget that Ginger Rogers did everything that he did, .. backwards and in high heels"

"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:45 pm

There are incompetent and unpleasant women, but they have to work harder to wield power.

Theresa May put a lot of time and effort into getting to a position where she could demonise migrants, David Cameron blagged his way in and Boris Johnson used a cunning combination of blagging, weaseling and thuggery.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Post by Pucksoppet » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:10 pm

discovolante wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:45 pm
There are incompetent and unpleasant women, but they have to work harder to wield power.

Theresa May put a lot of time and effort into getting to a position where she could demonise migrants, David Cameron blagged his way in and Boris Johnson used a cunning combination of blagging, weaseling and thuggery.
I think Theresa May demonstrated the Peter Principle quite well.She was, apparently, not an unmitigated success at the Home Office, and then got promoted again...

Her career until becoming Home Secretary required both diligence and intelligence, but I think it fell apart when she was required to make policy rather than implement or influence somebody else's policy. Being the monarch of your local hill is a lot harder than it appears, and the skills of being a good subordinate do not translate into the skills of being a good leader.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:33 pm

Pucksoppet wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:32 pm
Because either:

(a) incompetent women have not been given the chance yet, due to discrimination; or

To support (b), I offer two quotations:

"Sure, he was great, but don't forget that Ginger Rogers did everything that he did, .. backwards and in high heels"

"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
I think there is an option c). Incompetent women are far less likely to believe that they are the most competent in the organization.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:52 pm

Pucksoppet wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:10 pm
discovolante wrote:

I think Theresa May demonstrated the Peter Principle quite well.She was, apparently, not an unmitigated success at the Home Office, and then got promoted again...

Her career until becoming Home Secretary required both diligence and intelligence, but I think it fell apart when she was required to make policy rather than implement or influence somebody else's policy. Being the monarch of your local hill is a lot harder than it appears, and the skills of being a good subordinate do not translate into the skills of being a good leader.
And yet Boris Johnson absolutely failed as Foreign Secretary but still became Prime Minister.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:33 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Not really. Martin Y mentioned Carter, and he was shorter than Gerald Ford, but certainly wasn't the last shorter candidate to win. There have been three wins by the shorter candidate since Carter.

Dubya was shorter than his opponent on both occasions (significantly shorter than John Kerry) and Obama was shorter than Mitt Romney.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:56 pm

Martin_B wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:33 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Not really. Martin Y mentioned Carter, and he was shorter than Gerald Ford, but certainly wasn't the last shorter candidate to win. There have been three wins by the shorter candidate since Carter.

Dubya was shorter than his opponent on both occasions (significantly shorter than John Kerry) and Obama was shorter than Mitt Romney.
You and your facts...
I shall have to re-listen and send a sternly written note if it was mistaken.

Of course, 'mumble' is an inderterminate value
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Post by Pucksoppet » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:33 pm

discovolante wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:52 pm
Pucksoppet wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:10 pm
discovolante wrote:

And yet Boris Johnson absolutely failed as Foreign Secretary but still became Prime Minister.
Well, I think there were special circumstances in both appointments...in both cases, I think the more competent members of the Conservative and Unionist Party stepped smartly backwards, leaving the field open to those unassailed by self-doubt. Letting someone else be the fall-guy for a truly enormous catastrophe can be a good survival strategy.
And ignoring Rome burning, a interesting question is who the next leader of the C&UP will be. Gove? Patel? Or Rees-Mogg?

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:48 am

Gfamily wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:56 pm
Martin_B wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:33 pm
Gfamily wrote:

You and your facts...
I shall have to re-listen and send a sternly written note if it was mistaken.

Of course, 'mumble' is an inderterminate value
It's always possible that Wikipedia is wrong. I mean, I know it's a long-shot, but it's been known to happen!
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:29 am

Pucksoppet wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:32 pm
Because either:

It's not a contest which will ever be won by the type of person who waits to be "given the chance". They will always be beaten to the job by those who do not wait but simply grab by any means they can devise.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:33 am

Meantime I am agog to learn whether Tim Harford was wrong on Cautionary Tales as I'm pretty sure he claimed Carter/Ford was the last time the shorter candidate became president.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:22 pm

Tim Harford cites this study in the podcast episode notes: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... via%3Dihub

The abstract states that:
Candidates that were taller than their opponents received more popular votes, although they were not significantly more likely to win the actual election. Taller presidents were also more likely to be reelected. In addition, presidents were, on average, much taller than men from the same birth cohort.
The popular vote issue seems important, as that means that Gore beat Bush.

Also, the article was published in 2012, so presumably they didn't have data on Obama versus Romney (November 2012).

Looking at the above mentioned Wiki page, it looks like the height advantage is a 20th century thing. That could be a consequence of mass visual media - cinema newsreels and then TV - which made the candidate's visual appearance more important than in the 19th Century era of newsprint.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:05 pm

I just re-listened to the segment of his podcast and my impression was wrong. It says throughout that the tall candidate is more likely to win. He lists tall victors and the smaller men they beat, then gives Carter/Ford as an example of when it occasionally goes the other way, but does not claim that this was the last time it happened. I really should concentrate less on my driving and more on what Tim actually says. ;)

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:44 pm

I think: each promotion is a gamble. Top leadership means youve rolled the dice luckily / well several times.
The biases against women, while not appearing so great at each roll, compound over time.