Bonfire of the Regulations

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Opti
Dorkwood

Bonfire of the Regulations

Post by Opti » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:31 pm

... and we can all join in.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... aws-brexit

A standards commission would be established and, “under visible and energetic leadership”, would be able to pick up “ideas from any British citizen on how to repeal or improve regulation”. '
Time for a big fat one.

tom p
After Pie

Re: Bonfire of the Regulations

Post by tom p » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:13 pm

Opti wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:31 pm

A standards commission would be established and, “under visible and energetic leadership”, would be able to pick up “ideas from any British citizen on how to repeal or improve regulation”. '
Hameron did this 10 years ago.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:17 pm

Just to say, the Clinical Trials Regulation (Frosty the no-brain is said to references it in the article you linked to) hasn't even properly come into effect yet, so calling it outdated is yet another example of how utterly ignorant that smug c.nt is.

I love this bit "Frost promised to “supercharge” the artificial intelligence sector with the imminent publication of a national strategy to lead the world in the “AI ecosystem”"
How the f.ck is a national strategy going to do anything? The only thing they could conceivably do is offer big tech firms carte blanch to implement AI without citizens having aby come back if it harms them.
Worthless toad man

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:19 pm

All the burdensome EU regs I can think of are less burdensome in other member states and have simply been poorly translated into UK law. It’s rare in my experience to see the EU language being applied directly, they tend to be more strategic. The red tape is often of our own making.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:43 pm

tom p wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:17 pm
How the f.ck is a national strategy going to do anything?
If we're really lucky, it'll probably be as successful as British Leyland - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Leyland

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:58 am

That little f.cking checkbox about cookies for a start.

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:15 am

So I can see the scenario now. Nissan will continue making EU compliant cars in Sunderland for the export market, and just nail any old pile of shite together specifically for the UK market. Yeah, that's going to happen.

The plain fact is that anything if it's going to be able to be exported will have to comply to EU or compatible standards. Bunch of fuckwits.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:36 am

veravista wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:15 am
So I can see the scenario now. Nissan will continue making EU compliant cars in Sunderland for the export market, and just nail any old pile of shite together specifically for the UK market. Yeah, that's going to happen.

The plain fact is that anything if it's going to be able to be exported will have to comply to EU or compatible standards. Bunch of fuckwits.
We export more to non-EU countries than to EU countries and the non-EU markets are growing *much* faster.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:00 pm

plodder wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:19 pm
All the burdensome EU regs I can think of are less burdensome in other member states and have simply been poorly translated into UK law. It’s rare in my experience to see the EU language being applied directly, they tend to be more strategic. The red tape is often of our own making.
We did learn from that. In later years the transpositions of directives* became much more straightforward copy and pastes of the EU directive into the UK statute, without incorporating such additions and upgrades to ensure we had "best in class" arrangements. Though even copypasta is dangerous, given the different legal systems the words are drafted under. This can lead to rather different practical interpretations. We tend to be much more literal in interpreting the words of statute than on the continent, where typically they will take into account the commentary and purposive statements when the legislation was passed. It is also hard to change the culture of the local British enforcers, who are used to that more literal reading of regulations.

*It is only EU directives that require transposition into local statute. EU regulations are immediately law everywhere in the EU, direct from the EU text.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:08 pm

Opti wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:31 pm

From what that says, they seem mainly interested in:

(a) gesture politics - making it easier to use ounces and pints
(b) making it as hard as possible to realign to EU law - such as liberalising GM agriculture - which will also have the effect of making it harder to export agricultural produce to the EU

Actual red tape reduction to the benefit of business, well maybe there can be a bit of that. But I haven't heard anyone talking about simplifying well-known proper burdensome EU regulation, such as abattoir operation and meat inspection, that are now a really serious problem for us because we don't have the training here in anything like sufficient quantity, and so rely on importing migrant meat inspectors. (Not to mention having set up a monopoly of sleazebags, the delightfully named Eville and Jones, to run it.)

Imrael
Snowbonk

Post by Imrael » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:09 pm

I love this bit "Frost promised to “supercharge” the artificial intelligence sector with the imminent publication of a national strategy to lead the world in the “AI ecosystem”"
Anyone remember the Japaneses 5th Generation project of the - 80's?

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:15 pm

I propose that we scrap all environmental standards, workers' rights and limitations on the power of corporations, except where any of the above chiefly serve as barriers to entry to smaller businesses.

I expect they've thought of that already, though.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:30 pm

sheldrake wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:58 am
That little f.cking checkbox about cookies for a start.
There's no legitimate reason why any website should ask about cookies. It shows that they want to collect unnecessary data, and therefore need your consent. The solution is not getting your consent, but not collecting the data. If we do diverge from the EU on this, it should be to ban the collection of such information.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:31 pm

sheldrake wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:36 am
veravista wrote:
We export more to non-EU countries than to EU countries and the non-EU markets are growing *much* faster.
So what? That's no reason to cut ourselves off from the EU.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:50 am

Millennie Al wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:31 pm
sheldrake wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:36 am
veravista wrote:
So what? That's no reason to cut ourselves off from the EU.
We're not cut off from the EU, any more than Canada is. We don't need to broker the agreement of 27 other countries before we can enter into new trade deals though, and the negotiators working on our behalf now only have to consider UK interests.

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:57 pm

And obviously a lot of non-EU countries use EU standards as a bench mark, so not sure they'll want to use the new UKCA mark unless it's tied to CE marking - and if it is what the f.ck was the point of leaving?

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:27 pm

veravista wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:57 pm
And obviously a lot of non-EU countries use EU standards as a bench mark
Who?

Cardinal Fang
Snowbonk

Post by Cardinal Fang » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:40 pm

The sad thing is that if they were to propose sensible changes to regulations, like having rules governing GMOs that are based on science rather than hysteria, then the green-lobby-who-is-anything-but would lose their minds and stop it from actually happening.

CF

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:43 pm

Yes, the green lobby is definitely the biggest impediment to progress in 2021 UK.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:48 am

sheldrake wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:50 am
Millennie Al wrote:
That's no reason to cut ourselves off from the EU.
We're not cut off from the EU, any more than Canada is. We don't need to broker the agreement of 27 other countries before we can enter into new trade deals though, and the negotiators working on our behalf now only have to consider UK interests.
We have ceased the agreement which allowed trade, so that's cutting ourselves off. And how is that negotiating going, do you claim? As well as the Brexiteer claimed it would before the referendum?

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:17 am

Millennie Al wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:48 am
sheldrake wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:50 am
Millennie Al wrote:
That's no reason to cut ourselves off from the EU.
We have ceased the agreement which allowed trade, so that's cutting ourselves off. And how is that negotiating going, do you claim? As well as the Brexiteer claimed it would before the referendum?
We do still trade with the EU. We have a tariff free trade deal with the EU. I am not sure what you’re referring to here.

individualmember
Catbabel

Post by individualmember » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:11 pm

sheldrake wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:17 am

We do still trade with the EU. We have a tariff free trade deal with the EU. I am not sure what you’re referring to here.
If this is the case, why is there grief over the border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK, and why have the border procedures been delayed again?

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:33 pm

individualmember wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:11 pm
sheldrake wrote:

If this is the case, why is there grief over the border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK, and why have the border procedures been delayed again?
Because there isn't a tariff free trade deal with the EU. Here in Spain, if I want to bring something in from the UK I will get whacked for a bunch of Customs Duty and IVA (VAT). Not that there's anything I want from the UK ... except my pension.

Sheldrake talking out of his ducks arse again.
Time for a big fat one.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:12 pm

Opti wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:33 pm
individualmember wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:11 pm
sheldrake wrote:

Because there isn't a tariff free trade deal with the EU. Here in Spain, if I want to bring something in from the UK I will get whacked for a bunch of Customs Duty and IVA (VAT). Not that there's anything I want from the UK ... except my pension.

Sheldrake talking out of his ducks arse again.
There is a tariff free trade deal. VAT is not a tariff.

"The EU and UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement establishes zero tariffs or quotas on trade between the UK and the EU, where goods meet the relevant rules of origin."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/eu-business ... f%20origin.

You are just wrong .

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:40 am

sheldrake wrote:
Millennie Al wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:48 am
There's a lot more to trade than tarriffs. There's whether or not customs paperwork and inspections are performed, and there's things like conformance to standards and regulations.