Re: God save the King

Post by dyqik » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:36 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:01 am
Cardinal Fang wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:30 pm
Martin Y wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:05 pm

It was Elizabeth who was succeeded by a king of Scotland; James VI, who became James I. Charles II was succeeded by his brother James II.
But yes, the track record of Charles's is not terrific.
Weird factoid. Because the UK monarch is now the ruler of both England and Scotland, were there to be another King James, they wouldn't be James III, they would be James VIII, because they would have to take into account the James's in the Scottish line (James VII is who we know as James II)

CF
Crect. And Robert IV, David III, etc. It's a shame the monarchs have been trapped in an Edward/William/George cycle for so long. It'd be good to see some other names come in.
There are some good early Scottish ones that they could resurrect: Constantine IV, Dub II, Giric II, Macbeth II, Kenneth IV.

Malcolm V would be biting Malcolm X's style a bit though.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:00 pm

MacBeth probably not as he got a bad press from that Shakespear geezer. If there is an after life, WS will be spending it hiding from MacBeth and Richard III.

I suggest a less upper class name. All Hail King Sidney I.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Post by Chris Preston » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:03 am

Imrael wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:31 pm
Or we could copy the ninth century king of West Francia and go for Charles the Bald.
There was also a Burgundian Charles the Bold, who was more bold than successful as I remember, and eventually fatally annoyed the Swiss.

Isnt there a sort-of tradition of a monarch being able to pick a new name on ascending the throne, so Charles could opt for Alfred the 2nd in theory?
Not Alfred II, because on the Norman takeover, they ditched the previous kings and started afresh. That is why Edward Longshanks became Edward I and not Edward III.

But if it is nicknames you want, there are plenty to choose from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... y_nickname
Here grows much rhubarb.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:23 am

with your dreadful obsequience continually being handed on down through the peasantry we’ll be getting Zoltan MMXCVII and Palpatine VIII.

Aitch
Snowbonk

Post by Aitch » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:32 am

Brian?

If only to annoy Ian Hislop. 8-)
Some people call me strange.
I prefer unconventional.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept eccentric

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:50 am

plodder wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:23 am
with your dreadful obsequience continually being handed on down through the peasantry we’ll be getting Zoltan MMXCVII and Palpatine VIII.
It's worth it if it irritates the commies.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:02 am

Charles The Last.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:15 am

Elizabeth the Last?

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:10 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Allo V Psycho
Catbabel

Post by Allo V Psycho » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:41 am

Cardinal Fang wrote:
Martin Y wrote:
IvanV wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:04 pm
... it is sometimes speculated that he might choose a different regnal name, on the suggestion that Charles is an unpropitious name for an English king. One had his head chopped off. The other had no legitimate children, resulting in the throne passing to the King of Scotland. And there was also "Bonnie Prince" Charles Edward Stuart who was a failure in his attempt to get the throne.
It was Elizabeth who was succeeded by a king of Scotland; James VI, who became James I. Charles II was succeeded by his brother James II.
Weird factoid. Because the UK monarch is now the ruler of both England and Scotland, were there to be another King James, they wouldn't be James III, they would be James VIII, because they would have to take into account the James's in the Scottish line (James VII is who we know as James II)

CF
Weird truthoid: When an Elizabeth ascended to the throne, they didn't call her Elizabeth the First and Second: they just ignored the fact that the Scots had never had an Elizabeth before. This didn't go down too well in the Northern country: I seem to remember that red pillar boxes marked E2R got blown up. And I remember a popular song which went

"Scotland disnae hae a King, it disnae hae a Queen,
How can there be a second Liz, when the first yin's never been?
We'll mak our land Republican, at the Scottish Breakaway"

Incidentally the last King of Scotland was Idi Amin. The traditional style of the monarch was King or Queen of Scots (possibly up to the Union of the Crowns). Which actually makes a bit of a philosophical difference.

Troubled Joe
Sindis Poop

Post by Troubled Joe » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:41 am

plodder wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:23 am
Ming. King Ming has a ring to it.
Tarantella

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:49 am

Zoltan, Ming, it’s like we’re culturally programmed to mistrust foreigners...

Troubled Joe
Sindis Poop

Post by Troubled Joe » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:15 am

plodder wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:49 am
Zoltan, Ming, it’s like we’re culturally programmed to mistrust foreigners...
Just anyone different or outside the current top dogs - look at Shakespeare and Dick III etc
Tarantella

WFJ
Catbabel

Post by WFJ » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:03 pm

Allo V Psycho wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:41 am
Cardinal Fang wrote:
Martin Y wrote:

CF
Weird truthoid: When an Elizabeth ascended to the throne, they didn't call her Elizabeth the First and Second: they just ignored the fact that the Scots had never had an Elizabeth before. This didn't go down too well in the Northern country: I seem to remember that red pillar boxes marked E2R got blown up. And I remember a popular song which went

"Scotland disnae hae a King, it disnae hae a Queen,
How can there be a second Liz, when the first yin's never been?
We'll mak our land Republican, at the Scottish Breakaway"

Incidentally the last King of Scotland was Idi Amin. The traditional style of the monarch was King or Queen of Scots (possibly up to the Union of the Crowns). Which actually makes a bit of a philosophical difference.
The "nth and mth" style hasn't been used since 1707, as the kingdoms of England and Scotland no longer exist.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:16 pm

Imrael wrote:
Or we could copy the ninth century king of West Francia and go for Charles the Bald.
There was also a Burgundian Charles the Bold, who was more bold than successful as I remember, and eventually fatally annoyed the Swiss.

Isnt there a sort-of tradition of a monarch being able to pick a new name on ascending the throne, so Charles could opt for Alfred the 2nd in theory?
I’m not sure England had ever had a King Alfred? Surely he’d be Alfred I
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:34 pm

Grumble wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:16 pm
Imrael wrote:

England didn’t really exist in Alfred’s time as such. Aethelstan is the most common choice for the first king of England (or King Of All The Angles)l Numbering started with William 1 which is why we don’t call Edward The Confessor instead Edward 1

ETA Whoops! Or Edward The Third. I lost a couple of Teddies https://royalcentral.co.uk/features/num ... in-138689/
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:06 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:34 pm
Grumble wrote:
Imrael wrote:

England didn’t really exist in Alfred’s time as such. Aethelstan is the most common choice for the first king of England (or King Of All The Angles)l Numbering started with William 1 which is why we don’t call Edward The Confessor instead Edward 1

ETA Whoops! Or Edward The Third. I lost a couple of Teddies https://royalcentral.co.uk/features/num ... in-138689/
My point exactly. Alfred was never king of my bit of England - even if he was overlord.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:03 pm

Grumble wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:06 pm
Stranger Mouse wrote:
Grumble wrote:

My point exactly. Alfred was never king of my bit of England - even if he was overlord.
Ah. But even if he was king of England he wouldn’t be called Alfred I unless there was a later Alfred II

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:31 pm

Grumble wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:06 pm
Stranger Mouse wrote:
Grumble wrote:

Most of my ancestors were from Wessex so I'd go for King Ine.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:21 pm

We should have an Egbert again. Sounds like a children’s character.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:34 pm

The more I think of it, the more I want a new King Cnut. It would be f.cking brilliant. Every day would be like the Biggus Dickus scene from Life of Brian.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:12 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:21 pm
Only if it's our Egbert.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:20 pm

dyqik wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:12 pm
Stranger Mouse wrote:
Only if it's our Egbert.
Egbert is actually an awesome name, from the Old English Ecg-beorht, literally ‘edge bright’ but meaning ‘bright sword’. Shame it sounds lame in modern English.

Our own Egbert P.F. Is in fact also awesome, swords or not.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:21 pm

dyqik wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:12 pm
Stranger Mouse wrote:
Only if it's our Egbert.
Our Egbert as Queenie from Blackadder II is an equally appealing and terrifying prospect.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:02 pm

Who was the newsreader who got Jeremy Hunt's name wrong? Imagine the fun they'd have with Cnut.