God save the King

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
plodder
Stummy Beige

God save the King

Post by plodder » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:35 am

Queen is in “excellent spirits”. Here we go...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ld-to-rest

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Re: God save the King

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:39 am

The Queen will be f.cking furious if she dies whilst Boris Johnson is PM
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:39 am

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:45 am

soz 😀

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:45 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:39 am
The Queen will be f.cking furious if she dies whilst Boris Johnson is PM
Charles vs Boris. f.ck me.

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:50 am

plodder wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:45 am
soz 😀
My main concern is that you've said she's in "excellent spirits" which may have different clinical connotations to "good spirits". But I'm not sure if it's better or worse?

Have the Palace really confirmed that she's in "excellent spirits"???

Boris was in "good spirits" in Intensive Care, but then in "excellent spirits" when back on a normal ward.

However, last week Bill Clinton remained in "excellent spirits" throughout his hospital stay.

Troubled Joe
Sindis Poop

Post by Troubled Joe » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:59 am

Is it right they can choose what name they are known by once the become monarch - like the pope? I seem to remember that he is Prince Charles but would become King George.

If so we need a popular grass roots campaign demanding that his chosen regnal name be “ ‘ell”
Tarantella

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:03 am

Troubled Joe wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:59 am
Is it right they can choose what name they are known by once the become monarch - like the pope? I seem to remember that he is Prince Charles but would become King George.

If so we need a popular grass roots campaign demanding that his chosen regnal name be “ ‘ell”
:D

But apparently his full name is Charles Philip Arthur George

It's already a bit confusing what is meant by the "Georgian" era - and surely it would be cooler to be living in new "Arthurian" times???

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:11 am

deleted
Last edited by El Pollo Diablo on Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed content - EPD

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:14 am

bob sterman wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:50 am
plodder wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:45 am
soz 😀
My main concern is that you've said she's in "excellent spirits" which may have different clinical connotations to "good spirits". But I'm not sure if it's better or worse?

Have the Palace really confirmed that she's in "excellent spirits"???

Boris was in "good spirits" in Intensive Care, but then in "excellent spirits" when back on a normal ward.

However, last week Bill Clinton remained in "excellent spirits" throughout his hospital stay.
My bad, it was “good spirits”. A few weeks to go, at least.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:16 am

Wishing execution on someone isn't in the spirit of the forum. None of that please. I don't care if it's meant to be a joke.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:21 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:16 am
Wishing execution on someone isn't in the spirit of the forum. None of that please. I don't care if it's meant to be a joke.
If we can’t have a laugh about the ongoing procession of peasantry that makes up life in this country then where does that leave us? We’re a f.cking laughing stock without rolling out a new King ffs. The extended intergenerational corruption, theft and b.llsh.t imposed on us by these a..eholes is probably a bigger crime against the British people than any other. We only abolished the death penalty for treason a few years ago in any case.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:25 am

plodder wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:21 am
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
If we can’t have a laugh about the ongoing procession of peasantry that makes up life in this country then where does that leave us? We’re a f.cking laughing stock without rolling out a new King ffs. The extended intergenerational corruption, theft and b.llsh.t imposed on us by these a..eholes is probably a bigger crime against the British people than any other. We only abolished the death penalty for treason a few years ago in any case.
Like I said, I don't care. It doesn't matter. Keep the sh.t about execution to the local communist facebook group.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:28 am

I do actually think it would be of enormous benefit to send out a clear signal to these a..eholes. How’s about a paper mache head?

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:01 pm

And in all seriousness - there is clearly an argument to be made that continuing the monarchy under Charles would be a disaster, in terms of our governance as a country, our international standing, and the habit he has developed over the year of interfering behind the scenes to his own advantage. He's going to be a dreadful head of state, far worse than someone like Trump because he has the job for life.

There is, as far as I understand it, no legal mechanism (short of something pretty close to a revolution) that would allow the forced dissolution of the monarchy - church and state and the monarchy are so intertwined and invested in by the status quo that it would likely result in significant bloodshed, and the Monarch could simply refuse to pass any legislation in any case.

So how else can we stop the c.nt?

Troubled Joe
Sindis Poop

Post by Troubled Joe » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:19 pm

plodder wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:01 pm
And in all seriousness - there is clearly an argument to be made that continuing the monarchy under Charles would be a disaster, in terms of our governance as a country, our international standing, and the habit he has developed over the year of interfering behind the scenes to his own advantage. He's going to be a dreadful head of state, far worse than someone like Trump because he has the job for life.

There is, as far as I understand it, no legal mechanism (short of something pretty close to a revolution) that would allow the forced dissolution of the monarchy - church and state and the monarchy are so intertwined and invested in by the status quo that it would likely result in significant bloodshed, and the Monarch could simply refuse to pass any legislation in any case.

I suspect and/or hope when/if he becomes the big cheese it will hasten the end of the monarchy in its present form as given his elevated position he would not be able to interfere unseen anything like as easily. He’s unlikely to stop and hopefully people won’t like what they see.

As for international standing, can we go down from signing and agreement on Tuesday, sticking it in the oven on Wednesday and condemning it as unworkable on Thursday? That ship has sailed……
Last edited by Troubled Joe on Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tarantella

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:20 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
I hope Boris Johnson is gored to death by a unicorn. Is that in spirit?

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:29 pm

Arguably, but it's certainly off-topic, so if it continues it's off to the pit.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:35 pm

plodder wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:28 am
I do actually think it would be of enormous benefit to send out a clear signal to these a..eholes. How’s about a paper mache head?
That doesn't work. Lewes Bonfire societies have been destroying effigies by the power of fireworks for centuries, to zero effect.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:47 pm

plodder wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:01 pm

Both times the existing monarchy has been removed by the legislature, it's been a revolution.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:59 pm

Zip. Still not allowed - EPD

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:01 pm

I think it can be done peacefully if a government that had it in their manifesto was elected. Just pass laws that take away all of the residual power, civil list, crown property etc..

You'd be left with a wealthy private family wih houses in Balmoral, Sandringham etc.. that some people would doubtless continue referring to as the monarchy, but I think they'd stop being the head of state in any legal sense.

eta: you could of course confiscate the private wealth too if so minded and it was in the manifesto.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:03 pm

I agree that Charles would be an awful King. I like archaic ritual and arthurian legend so my vote is that we keep a powerless, low cost monarchy but just invite the australian farmer who is a direct descendant of King Alfred back to the UK once a year for a big drinking festival around stonehenge then send him back to his farm.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:09 pm

It would require popular support for the monarchy to plummet to depths they haven't seen for a long time, and for a decent duration as well. There are over three times more monarchists than republicans in the UK at the moment, and of European monarchies, only Spain have any problems at present with the popularity of theirs.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:19 pm

Chaz would have less influence as king than he currently does. The monarch generally has to keep their trap shut on anything vaguely political.

If Her Maj is anything like my mum, she'll keep going for ages, bouncing back from many health scares before she dies (at 91 in my mum's case). That generation just won't give up. And Betty is going to get much closer medical attention than my mum; what doctor would dare say 'oh she's fine, it's just a sniffle, give her a paracetamol and she can be on her feet all day, no probs' about HRH? They'll keep her going until her Platinum Jubilee no matter what.