Better this, or 100% Inheritance Tax?

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people

What a dead person wants, or what living people think more immediate

People should be able to specify where their money goes
10%
When people die, above a certain level, the government has a claim...
62%
Tricky, isn't it.
28%

Total votes: 29

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Re: Better this, or 100% Inheritance Tax?

Post by Tessa K » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:26 am

IvanV wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:33 am
Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:42 pm
It’s easy to avoid paying anything. It’s odd that any inheritance tax is paid at all. I assume it comes from people who died much younger than they expected, people who dislike their descendants or people who want to give money to the government.
There's another category, which is people who mistrust their descendants. Those who assess, correctly or otherwise, that if they give too much away too soon, their children, much as they love them, will abandon them, or mismanage the money. We have a notorious case in our family where the parents should have been a bit more mistrusting, and had no shortage of evidence arguing for caution.
Or in my case, control freaks who won't give away a penny however much sense it makes or even allow Power of Attorney.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:33 pm

IvanV wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:33 am
Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:42 pm
It’s easy to avoid paying anything. It’s odd that any inheritance tax is paid at all. I assume it comes from people who died much younger than they expected, people who dislike their descendants or people who want to give money to the government.
There's another category, which is people who mistrust their descendants. Those who assess, correctly or otherwise, that if they give too much away too soon, their children, much as they love them, will abandon them, or mismanage the money. We have a notorious case in our family where the parents should have been a bit more mistrusting, and had no shortage of evidence arguing for caution.
Certainly, and they may believe that the descendent will be better off getting the money in ten years time after paying inheritance tax rather than getting it now when they are too immature to use it wisely.

The point remains that people pay inheritance tax voluntarily or by accident.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:43 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:33 pm
Certainly, and they may believe that the descendent will be better off getting the money in ten years time after paying inheritance tax rather than getting it now when they are too immature to use it wisely.
In which case, the money can be put in a trust - with the beneficiary being in receipt at age 'whatever'. If the trustees think there's a good reason to release the money for the benefit of the descendent (a property purchase or to pay for education etc) they have the discretion to do so at an earlier point.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:52 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:43 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:33 pm
In which case, the money can be put in a trust - with the beneficiary being in receipt at age 'whatever'. If the trustees think there's a good reason to release the money for the benefit of the descendent (a property purchase or to pay for education etc) they have the discretion to do so at an earlier point.
Yes, good point.