Owen Paterson

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
sheldrake
After Pie

Re: Owen Paterson

Post by sheldrake » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:17 pm

Boris was an improvement over Cameron and May even with the obvious corruption.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:00 am

Changing Rooms was an obvious improvement over Tenko even with Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:08 am

You'll only have Labour to blame until you get rid of Starmer and all the shouty, mad alternatives

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:54 am

warumich wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:34 pm

This time next year we'll be have lost a war with France the Faroe Islands.
FTFM

On a tangentially related note, I’ve been working through a very good YouTube series “WW2 in Real Time” which every week gives the week’s developments in the war in the style of a 10-20 min news report for the corresponding week of the war as if it was happening in real time, with the knowing conceit that neither the presenter or audience nor how things are going to turn out.

It’s up to November 1942 and I’m up to about August 1942 (so Singapore, Burma and Tobruk have just fallen without any real fight, Rommel is in Egypt and the Japanese are on the borders of India and Australia) and it really underlines just how bad the war was going for the British against both Japan and Germany up to that point and how from the perspective of those living through it it must have seemed the British were being humiliated week after week.

Given Johnson’s Churchillian pretensions it seems apt.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:56 am

Little waster wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:54 am

It’s up to November 1942 and I’m up to about August 1942 (so Singapore, Burma and Tobruk have just fallen without any real fight, Rommel is in Egypt and the Japanese are on the borders of India and Australia) and it really underlines just how bad the war was going for the British against both Japan and Germany up to that point and how from the perspective of those living through it it must have seemed the British were being humiliated week after week.
Had to duck out for a meeting but the other point is just how much of a sideshow the North Africa campaign really was compared to the meatgrinder of Eastern Front. So while the Brits are losing a few thousand men here and the Germans a couple hundred tanks there, squabbling over the same thousand square miles of desert; the Soviets and the Axis and burning through 100,000s of men and tens of thousands of vehicles, week in week out, in a battle stretching from the Artic Circle to the Black Sea.

Meanwhile in the Pacific Theatre the British are complete also-rans leaving the Japanese and Americans to duke it out on there own.

Which is all quite humbling given how tall WW2 looms in the British national psyche, especially with the likes of Johnson.

ETA link https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP1Aej ... YkZAELRhHQ

They also have the complete "WW1 in Real Time" and miniseries covering the Interwar years, the Cuban Missile Crisis, Pearl Harbour etc. and "War Against Humanity" looking at the human cost of this all. It's very good for what is essentially a couple of guys in a shed.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:36 pm

warumich wrote:
Trinucleus wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:08 pm
Boris has just proposed a ban on MPs doing paid consultancies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59311003

Leadership challenge it is then
Oh no, given that Cameron was infinitely worse than Brown, May was infinitely worse than Cameron and Johnson is infinitely worse than May, I think we can expect either Dorries or Francois as PM next.

This time next year we'll be at war with France.
Rees Mogg would go down a storm in Rotherham

Troubled Joe
Sindis Poop

Post by Troubled Joe » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:00 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:36 pm
warumich wrote:
Trinucleus wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:08 pm
Boris has just proposed a ban on MPs doing paid consultancies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59311003

Leadership challenge it is then
Oh no, given that Cameron was infinitely worse than Brown, May was infinitely worse than Cameron and Johnson is infinitely worse than May, I think we can expect either Dorries or Francois as PM next.

He's too tall for a pit prop. And they shut the mines.
Tarantella

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:17 pm

Troubled Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:00 pm
Trinucleus wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:36 pm
warumich wrote:

He's too tall for a pit prop. And they shut the mines.
You could use him to scrape out t'chimney.

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:38 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:52 am
tenchboy wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:28 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:27 pm
Looks likes there's quite a web of links between Paterson, Randox and others in the Tory party... I wonder who else can get drawn in...
Is this what you had in mind?
(Apols if I'm late to the party)
000this.png
Yep, that'd be it.
Please Miss, Cat ate m'homework
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:55 am

sheldrake wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:17 pm
For f.cks sake what f.cking planet are you from?
Johnson is a lazy vain stupid piece of sh.t.

He is Cameron with every last shred of decency removed.
He is May with every ounce of dilligence taken away.

f.ck off and troll somewhere else.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:06 am

noggins wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:55 am
sheldrake wrote:

Johnson is a classicist, Cameron is a PPE dullard. Cameron pretended to be a eurosceptic to get past his consituency committee, Johnson got us out of the EU.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:34 am

sheldrake wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:06 am
noggins wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:55 am
sheldrake wrote:

Johnson is a classicist, Cameron is a PPE dullard. Cameron pretended to be a eurosceptic to get past his consituency committee, Johnson got us out of the EU.
Johnson pretended to be a eurosceptic in the referendum because he thought it would play well with his leadership ambitions. His levels of incompetence and self interest, and proven dishonesty [sacked by a newspaper for lying!] are more important to me than knowing some Latin

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:39 am

Trinucleus wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:34 am

Johnson pretended to be a eurosceptic in the referendum because he thought it would play well with his leadership ambitions. His levels of incompetence and self interest, and proven dishonesty [sacked by a newspaper for lying!] are more important to me than knowing some Latin
Note; I never said he was honest. I said he was better than Cameron and May despite his corruption. Whether or not he was pretending in the referendum, he followed through (and tbh I don't believe he was pretending because he was Eurosceptic for many years previously, including as a journalist).

warumich
Fuzzable

Post by warumich » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:58 am

I should have known that my slightly unserious post would derail into a shouting match with sheldrake... for what it's worth I was using the completely objective measure of how much these people raise my blood pressure, I'm aware that other people will have different views otherwise Johnson wouldn't be PM right now. And let's leave out shouting at sheldrake, let him make his argument
I've never had a signature, and it never did me any harm

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:22 am

If Johnson, the fake self-serving Eurosceptic, was the best the Euroseptic faction of the tory party could come up, what does that say about the strength of the Brexit case?

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:50 am

warumich wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:58 am
I should have known that my slightly unserious post would derail into a shouting match with sheldrake... for what it's worth I was using the completely objective measure of how much these people raise my blood pressure, I'm aware that other people will have different views otherwise Johnson wouldn't be PM right now. And let's leave out shouting at sheldrake, let him make his argument
I tend to go with the "how comfortable am I looking at their hideous mugs" measure. Thatcher really has dropped down the list considerably over the last few years. I literally can't look at Johnson, I feel very nauseated by Cameron's balloon face but only a little bit revolted by May. I can manage looking at a photo of Thatcher for a few seconds these days.
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:58 am

nezumi wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:50 am
warumich wrote:
I tend to go with the "how comfortable am I looking at their hideous mugs" measure. Thatcher really has dropped down the list considerably over the last few years. I literally can't look at Johnson, I feel very nauseated by Cameron's balloon face but only a little bit revolted by May. I can manage looking at a photo of Thatcher for a few seconds these days.
This is what I use too. Also applies to royals and newsreaders.

OffTheRock
Fuzzable

Post by OffTheRock » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:06 pm

tenchboy wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:38 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:
tenchboy wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:28 pm

Is this what you had in mind?
(Apols if I'm late to the party)
000this.png
Yep, that'd be it.
Probably important to clarify that they haven’t lost the minutes to that Randox meeting. They just don’t know where they are right now.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:07 pm

noggins wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:22 am
If Johnson, the fake self-serving Eurosceptic, was the best the Euroseptic faction of the tory party could come up, what does that say about the strength of the Brexit case?
In what sense was Johnson a fake eurosceptic?

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:31 pm

:roll:

Troubled Joe
Sindis Poop

Post by Troubled Joe » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:36 pm

OffTheRock wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:06 pm
tenchboy wrote:
FlammableFlower wrote:

Yep, that'd be it.
Probably important to clarify that they haven’t lost the minutes to that Randox meeting. They’ve just not decided what they want them to say yet.
FIFY
Tarantella

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:44 pm

warumich wrote:
This is a sodding internet forum.
Every person could type nothing but c.nt at him in big red letters, and he would still be perfectly able to make his argument in as much detail as he wants.
But he doesn't want to because he doesn't have an argument. He's a dishonest sh.t-stirring little weasel. How much evidence of his character do you need?

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:59 pm

Johnson's EC correspondent "journalism" amounted to making stuff up and "chucking these rocks over the garden wall" because it gave him "a weird sense of power".
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:23 pm

OffTheRock wrote:
tenchboy wrote:
FlammableFlower wrote:

Yep, that'd be it.
Probably important to clarify that they haven’t lost the minutes to that Randox meeting. They just don’t know where they are right now.
In a filing cabinet with the report into Russian interference in British politics*.

The filing cabinet is of course in a disused toilet in a basement with no light or stairs, behind a sign reading "Beware of the leopard"

* Remember that? Pity the MSM don't
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:11 pm

JQH wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:23 pm
OffTheRock wrote:
tenchboy wrote:

In a filing cabinet with the report into Russian interference in British politics*.

The filing cabinet is of course in a disused toilet in a basement with no light or stairs, behind a sign reading "Beware of the leopard"

* Remember that? Pity the MSM don't
Here's my conspiracy theory: there's barely any (competent) Russian interference in Western politics.

The media - traditional and social - is owned by Western billionaires. Political parties are largely funded by them. Even the brexit campaign's "dark money" seems to originate with westerners. Loads of Trump's debt was to Wall St funds owned by people like the Kochs.

I don't think there's any huge gap of malign manipulation that needs to be filled by spooky Muscovites.

The looming spectre (no pun intended) of supervillains with Slavic accents is an deliberately amplified by the real corrupt baddies, who are hiding in plain site. They probably hid that report because it said "the Russians didn't do much, it was all Murdoch and the Tory Party as usual".
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.