Woodchopper
Princess POW

Re: COP26

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:16 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:41 pm
discovolante wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:32 pm
BTW Nicola Sturgeon has now openly opposed Cambo, finally, so there's that.
Good.

I do recognise that it's not as straightforward as saying that if we stop oil production then everything will be great. We're so reliant on it for so many things and those in favour of the oil field are right that there will be a transition period. And it could be argued that at least by having the oil production within the UK we can have high environmental standards on the field and there's a shorter distance that it needs to be sent. So I'm not entirely dancing for joy at this announcement. I can't help but worry that's it's going to result in us just outsourcing our oil and gas production to countries with lower environmental standards. But at the same time, maybe cutting off our own production is going to be what it takes to end our addiction. I don't know. It's complicated and I don't know what the best answer is in the long term.
That's similar to the Norwegian position: we recognize that the world needs to stop burning fossil fuels, but if people are going anyway we'd rather that they bought them from us.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:01 pm

A quite positive article on things that can be done: Ten ways to confront the climate crisis without losing hope. 5 is one I think about quite a lot.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:04 am

Shell pulls out of cambo oil field development: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59512742
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.