Solar Panels

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Grumble
Light of Blast

Re: Solar Panels

Post by Grumble » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:52 pm

I went all in on Kirk Hill, and haven’t got an EV yet, though I hope to soon. When I do my usage will obviously go up and I’ll be able to buy some of Ripple 4. Good luck on the solar park.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:01 pm

Ripple 3 is a LOT more expensive than Ripple 2. I'm guessing Ripple 4 will be more expensive than 2, due to inflation, but not by as much.

And the cost curves are clear: a solar Ripple 7 or whatever in a few years will be much cheaper than this Ripple3.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:13 pm

lpm wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:39 pm
Haven't had time to run the numbers.

But it's more like buying an annuity than making an investment. A 40 year annuity is very expensive. An inflation-linked annuity that can be inherited by a spouse even more expensive. An annuity that's index linked to wholesale electricity prices doesn't exist, but is quite attractive.

Looks like we pay £3,000 to buy a 40-year annuity with £170 income p.a.. 5.6%. I think that's OK. A normal inflation-linked annuity would cost that, I believe.
But not guaranteed, and dependent on you continuing to have an electricity supply contract with just the one company. It really is quite limited.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:29 pm

The difference between wholesale prices and operating costs is pretty well guaranteed. There's nothing else that would change the equation significantly. They are just panels sitting in a field.

Imperfect, but it means it's a good and reliable hedge against wholesale electricity prices. The annual return will go up and down as if linked to a wholesale price index.

There's more risk than a regulated insurance company paying out an annuity. But it's not particularly risky.

There are now several more electricity supply companies onboard, it's no longer just Octopus.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:34 am

lpm wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:29 pm

There are now several more electricity supply companies onboard, it's no longer just Octopus.
That’s good. Octopus still aren’t particularly well known and my parents were worried Ripple 2 might be a scam.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:02 am

lpm wrote:

But it's more like buying an annuity than making an investment. A 40 year annuity is very expensive. An inflation-linked annuity that can be inherited by a spouse even more expensive. An annuity that's index linked to wholesale electricity prices doesn't exist, but is quite attractive.

Looks like we pay £3,000 to buy a 40-year annuity with £170 income p.a.. 5.6%. I think that's OK. A normal inflation-linked annuity would cost that, I believe.
Forty years seems too long. As far as I remember, people I know who've installed them reckon on an operating lifetime of about 25-30 years before the panels need to be replaced. They may be being cautious though.

Also, its only inflation linked in terms of the electricity price. Possible (and predicted by you earlier) that the electricity price will decrease relative to other prices - ie general inflation could be much higher than electricity price inflation. That's fine if your only concern is to ensure that the electricity bill is covered but there could be an opportunity cost compared to an investment that is linked to general inflation.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:52 am

My solar panels are going on my roof today. They will be assisted by 7 kWh of batteries. 6 of the 10 panels will have solar panel optimisers, which I had not heard of until a few days ago.

I have been told, and it seems to be true, that if one panel in a connected array is shaded, reducing its output in comparison to those that are unshaded in that array, then the output from all the panels in that array is reduced to the level of the worst. This because they are wired in series, and a panel with low output presents a higher resistance that reduces the current from the entire sequence. I confess I don't quite follow that argument, but I haven't found anyone saying that's rubbish. This is the problem that the optimisers overcome. There are other solutions, but they are more expensive.

Unfortunately optimisers aren't exactly cheap, at least not yet, and you need one per panel within an array suffering substantial variations in shading. Modelling provided by the supplier suggested I would lose about a third of my output without them, and that was only taking account of shading from the roof, and not from the trees that will also have some impact on those six panels on the western side of my house. That adds about £500 to the installation.

Locating the inverter and batteries has been difficult in a house with no loft. The inverter and batteries have to be adjacent. I thought they could go in an under-eave cupboard in a bedroom, but that won't provide the clearances the inverter needs. So they are going somewhere that my wife will be somewhat annoyed by, in the study, as that provides a suitably uninterrupted piece of external wall, where the new boiler also had to go.

It's quite a complicated installation, with 4 panels in 2 separate areas on my eastern facing roof, and the other 6 on my flat roof, above a single storey exension, facing south. I also have a south facing garage roof, but it would be very costly to run cables under the block paved drive.

So coming out a fair bit more expensive than my father's installation, but my roof is much more complicated than most. All the council's fault for refusing my first proposed roof conversion, which would have had a huge uninterrupted south-facing roof slope, and removed the rear flat roof. Council insisted instead on this E-W roof arrangement with interruptions from large dormer windows, and retaining the flat roof.

Another complication I will have to face is when the flat roof needs refelting in about 5 years. I have had to ensure that the panels on the roof can be easily lifted. They are not physically stuck down, rather they are weighted down by a couple of heavy blocks under the panel to stop them blowing away. So it should be possible to lift them when the roof needs refelting.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:27 am

IvanV wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:52 am
My solar panels are going on my roof today. They will be assisted by 7 kWh of batteries. 6 of the 10 panels will have solar panel optimisers, which I had not heard of until a few days ago.

I have been told, and it seems to be true, that if one panel in a connected array is shaded, reducing its output in comparison to those that are unshaded in that array, then the output from all the panels in that array is reduced to the level of the worst. This because they are wired in series, and a panel with low output presents a higher resistance that reduces the current from the entire sequence. I confess I don't quite follow that argument, but I haven't found anyone saying that's rubbish. This is the problem that the optimisers overcome. There are other solutions, but they are more expensive.

Unfortunately optimisers aren't exactly cheap, at least not yet, and you need one per panel within an array suffering substantial variations in shading. Modelling provided by the supplier suggested I would lose about a third of my output without them, and that was only taking account of shading from the roof, and not from the trees that will also have some impact on those six panels on the western side of my house. That adds about £500 to the installation.

Locating the inverter and batteries has been difficult in a house with no loft. The inverter and batteries have to be adjacent. I thought they could go in an under-eave cupboard in a bedroom, but that won't provide the clearances the inverter needs. So they are going somewhere that my wife will be somewhat annoyed by, in the study, as that provides a suitably uninterrupted piece of external wall, where the new boiler also had to go.

It's quite a complicated installation, with 4 panels in 2 separate areas on my eastern facing roof, and the other 6 on my flat roof, above a single storey exension, facing south. I also have a south facing garage roof, but it would be very costly to run cables under the block paved drive.

So coming out a fair bit more expensive than my father's installation, but my roof is much more complicated than most. All the council's fault for refusing my first proposed roof conversion, which would have had a huge uninterrupted south-facing roof slope, and removed the rear flat roof. Council insisted instead on this E-W roof arrangement with interruptions from large dormer windows, and retaining the flat roof.

Another complication I will have to face is when the flat roof needs refelting in about 5 years. I have had to ensure that the panels on the roof can be easily lifted. They are not physically stuck down, rather they are weighted down by a couple of heavy blocks under the panel to stop them blowing away. So it should be possible to lift them when the roof needs refelting.
Good stuff! But it makes buying 5 panels in Devon seem even easier...

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:38 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:02 am
lpm wrote:

Forty years seems too long. As far as I remember, people I know who've installed them reckon on an operating lifetime of about 25-30 years before the panels need to be replaced. They may be being cautious though.
I'm not too bothered by the 30-40 year period. Due to my likely deadness at this stage.
Also, its only inflation linked in terms of the electricity price. Possible (and predicted by you earlier) that the electricity price will decrease relative to other prices - ie general inflation could be much higher than electricity price inflation. That's fine if your only concern is to ensure that the electricity bill is covered but there could be an opportunity cost compared to an investment that is linked to general inflation.
There's certainly an opportunity cost compared to choosing other investments. But it's partly an enjoyable purchase as well, more interesting than buying a FTSE-100 linked fund.

Thanks to being burned in the past year, a hedge against high wholesale energy prices is attractive IMO.

This solar farm can churn out its kWh at 2.3p. (In fact a chunk of those operating costs are council rates, which don't actually count as a cost to society as it's a tax transfer.) If 2.3p per kWh is no longer price competitive then we are going to be very prosperous in the future! And of course electricity price deflation is only going to happen when we get more and more of these cheap renewables, so this investment is also a patriotic act giving our country future prosperity and energy independence.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:19 am

Solar panels, it turns out, nor storage batteries, don't usually work in power cuts. At least not in a standard installation,

A rather disappointing discovery from the other day, when we had a couple of power cuts adding up to several hours. It had never occurred to me this might be the case, so I had not done any research in advance.

It seems that it is a legal requirement that your equipment cut out in a power cut, to protect electricity workers, who would otherwise find the demand side cable was live when working in a power cut.

You can set your house up to avoid this, if you make specific arrangements. First, you need an isolating switch so you can isolate your house from the mains during a power cut. This can be an automatic relay, or a manual switch. But it is still complicated getting your equipment to work safely once you are islanded from grid, which otherwise acts as a stabilising mechanism to avoid overloads from your solar panels. So it might be best to disconnect the solar panels, and just run from your batteries. Though your batteries will have limited power, and it may be limited what you can power during a power cut. Then there is the management issue that if you want to have your batteries as a reserve, it might be a good idea to make sure that there is some energy available when you need it. Normally you'd just drain them to make maximum use of your solar energy. So if you kept a reserve, then you would be making less efficient use of your solar panels.

Which all begs the question, is it worth trying?

According to Ofgem's 2021-22 electricity distribution performance report in my distribution area, SSEN, I should have a power cut about once every 2 years, and have an average of 50 mins downtime per year. But the frequency I have to reset things due to power cuts, it is evident that here they come more often, and with a longer average downtime. Maybe the fact that we are right on the edge of the distribution company's area means that we have less resilience in our supply. The recent supply cut was due to a falling tree taking out a power line. The second cut was deliberate, to take out the temporary line they initially put in to get the power up and running, and reconnect the overhead supply. We have buried cables along our road, but they are fed from overhead cables between the towns, and not every street in the area has buried cables. My previous house in the same mini-conurbation had overhead supply.

Imrael
Snowbonk

Post by Imrael » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:22 am

My storage battery works in power cuts and I wasnt aware of doing any extra paperwork. It is a Tesla Powerwall so somewhat fancy - I guess the standard installation includes that aspect.

We do get a brief "dip" when mains power comes back on - sometimes enough to restart PC's and unset clocks.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:32 am

Imrael wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:22 am
My storage battery works in power cuts and I wasnt aware of doing any extra paperwork. It is a Tesla Powerwall so somewhat fancy - I guess the standard installation includes that aspect.

We do get a brief "dip" when mains power comes back on - sometimes enough to restart PC's and unset clocks.
The Tesla Powerwall 2, at least, is specifically designed to act as a backup battery. So you would be set up like that as standard.

But it costs about twice the price per kWh of capacity than the bog standard batteries that are in my installation. When you have 13.5kWh of Tesla battery, and reserve, say, 5kWh for back-up purposes, then you still have more capacity for cycling than I have in my 7.3kWh system.

Much of the USA, for example, has lower supply reliability than Britain. So it makes rather more economic sense to design in back-up ability.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:09 pm

If you have an unreliable supply, what’s it worth to you to make it more reliable? That’s the question really. In terms of making best use of solar power that’s not really a factor as such, you’re getting greener power when power is available.

jaap
Catbabel

Post by jaap » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:19 pm

About 10 days ago there was a housefire in Arnhem in the Netherlands. It started in the kitchen of a terraced house, one in a block of 8 houses.
The firefighters found it impossible to stop the fire from spreading to the other houses in the block, because the roof was completely covered in solar panels. In the end 4 of the houses completely burned down, and the other 4 will probably have to be demolished.
vlammen-slaan-uit-dak-bij-grote-woningbrand-arnhem.jpg
vlammen-slaan-uit-dak-bij-grote-woningbrand-arnhem.jpg (84.58 KiB) Viewed 860 times
steeds-meer-daken-hebben-zonnepanelen-maar-hoe-blussen-we-die-bij-brand.jpg
steeds-meer-daken-hebben-zonnepanelen-maar-hoe-blussen-we-die-bij-brand.jpg (70.06 KiB) Viewed 855 times

The panels protected the fire from the water, and allowed the fire to travel unimpeded in the gap behind the panels to the other houses. Rooftiles can easily be removed, even by the water jet itself, but solar panels cannot. They cannot be removed until the power has been cut, and even then remain dangerous due to the voltage they continue to generate. So it takes time to tackle the problem, during which the fire can keep spreading. Burning solar panels are also hazardous, as they can send shards everywhere.

There are some calls for legislation to make sure various safety guidelines are enforced, such as leaving a half metre gap between the panels of one house and the next.

Link to Dutch article

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:28 pm

IvanV wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:19 am
Solar panels, it turns out, nor storage batteries, don't usually work in power cuts. At least not in a standard installation,

A rather disappointing discovery from the other day, when we had a couple of power cuts adding up to several hours. It had never occurred to me this might be the case, so I had not done any research in advance.

It seems that it is a legal requirement that your equipment cut out in a power cut, to protect electricity workers, who would otherwise find the demand side cable was live when working in a power cut.

You can set your house up to avoid this, if you make specific arrangements. First, you need an isolating switch so you can isolate your house from the mains during a power cut. This can be an automatic relay, or a manual switch. But it is still complicated getting your equipment to work safely once you are islanded from grid, which otherwise acts as a stabilising mechanism to avoid overloads from your solar panels. So it might be best to disconnect the solar panels, and just run from your batteries. Though your batteries will have limited power, and it may be limited what you can power during a power cut. Then there is the management issue that if you want to have your batteries as a reserve, it might be a good idea to make sure that there is some energy available when you need it. Normally you'd just drain them to make maximum use of your solar energy. So if you kept a reserve, then you would be making less efficient use of your solar panels.

Which all begs the question, is it worth trying?

According to Ofgem's 2021-22 electricity distribution performance report in my distribution area, SSEN, I should have a power cut about once every 2 years, and have an average of 50 mins downtime per year. But the frequency I have to reset things due to power cuts, it is evident that here they come more often, and with a longer average downtime. Maybe the fact that we are right on the edge of the distribution company's area means that we have less resilience in our supply. The recent supply cut was due to a falling tree taking out a power line. The second cut was deliberate, to take out the temporary line they initially put in to get the power up and running, and reconnect the overhead supply. We have buried cables along our road, but they are fed from overhead cables between the towns, and not every street in the area has buried cables. My previous house in the same mini-conurbation had overhead supply.
Thanks, I was vaguely aware not all batteries covered power cuts, but didn't know why or what was needed.

Get about 10 minor power cuts and 2 major power cuts a year here. A week or two ago it was out for about 6 hours. Building resilience into the home is important I think.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:33 pm

jaap wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:19 pm
About 10 days ago there was a housefire in Arnhem in the Netherlands. It started in the kitchen of a terraced house, one in a block of 8 houses.
The firefighters found it impossible to stop the fire from spreading to the other houses in the block, because the roof was completely covered in solar panels. In the end 4 of the houses completely burned down, and the other 4 will probably have to be demolished.

The panels protected the fire from the water, and allowed the fire to travel unimpeded in the gap behind the panels to the other houses. Rooftiles can easily be removed, even by the water jet itself, but solar panels cannot. They cannot be removed until the power has been cut, and even then remain dangerous due to the voltage they continue to generate. So it takes time to tackle the problem, during which the fire can keep spreading. Burning solar panels are also hazardous, as they can send shards everywhere.

There are some calls for legislation to make sure various safety guidelines are enforced, such as leaving a half metre gap between the panels of one house and the next.

Link to Dutch article
That's totally mad. Why bother with regulations like that?

House fires are very rare these days. The article doesn't say what caused it. But house fires are from cooking on gas, smoking and electrical faults. Nobody will use gas or smoke in the near future. Electrical faults should be eliminated during solar installs because they are more likely to kill by electrocution than fire.

Imrael
Snowbonk

Post by Imrael » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:03 pm

Grumble wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:09 pm
If you have an unreliable supply, what’s it worth to you to make it more reliable? That’s the question really. In terms of making best use of solar power that’s not really a factor as such, you’re getting greener power when power is available.
Our village is somewhat unreliable on that front, despite not being at all isolated. Local rumour is that its because the sub-station is past due for replacement and creaking a bit. In my mind that made it worth doing once I'd decided I was getting a solar/battery setup anyway.

I normally threshold the battery at 25%, meaning it will not drop below that while mains are connected. This will run the house without heating (or cooling - we have a couple of small AC units) for 2-3 hours, probably much more if we set out to stretch it. Retaining internet and not worrying about the freezer is worth a fair bit convenience-wise.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:17 pm

Grumble wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:09 pm
That's exactly right. And how much it costs depends on how much reliability you want from it.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:12 pm

It makes sense that you'd need to isolate your house from the incoming mains supply in a power cut, otherwise your battery inverter would be trying to power the entire neighbourhood. There would also be fireworks if the mains supply came back on after a cut and your home-made mains had drifted out of phase with the grid so you'd need some kind of soft synch before the two were linked together again. Not rocket surgery but very necessary.

I had rather assumed powerwall type installations would be designed only to support a few critical items (fridge/freezer, some lights, internet hub, maybe a couple of free sockets for stuff you decide you really need) and they'd be labelled to warn those might be live even when the power is off.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:36 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:12 pm
It makes sense that you'd need to isolate your house from the incoming mains supply in a power cut, otherwise your battery inverter would be trying to power the entire neighbourhood. There would also be fireworks if the mains supply came back on after a cut and your home-made mains had drifted out of phase with the grid so you'd need some kind of soft synch before the two were linked together again. Not rocket surgery but very necessary.

I had rather assumed powerwall type installations would be designed only to support a few critical items (fridge/freezer, some lights, internet hub, maybe a couple of free sockets for stuff you decide you really need) and they'd be labelled to warn those might be live even when the power is off.
If your system is set up ok with a battery you won’t even see a flicker when a power cut happens
https://youtu.be/9xuleBA4Zcg

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:28 pm

Martin Y wrote:

You also have to have a manual cut off in case of fire, and a cut off to prevent back powering the local network when the power is deliberately down so work can be done on it.

You need those even without a battery, as the panels themselves can do that back powering.

Imrael
Snowbonk

Post by Imrael » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:43 pm

Martin Y wrote:

I have seen adverts for what is essentially a domestic UPS for that sort of job, but its a different thing. (And I've never seen one in the wild)

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:11 pm

Grumble wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:36 pm
If your system is set up ok with a battery you won’t even see a flicker when a power cut happens
He has Tesla batteries, which are designed to act as backup batteries, unlike batteries at half the price most of us will have. And he has to have 3-phase mains to have that large a solar/battery set up when he is in a thin part of the distribution system. That's extraordinary and a lot of money, that most people wouldn't put up with.

All the equipment lined up on that huge, clean, garage wall. Lovely if you can do that. Lovely to have such a wall at all, most of us don't.

I have a garage. Well, a garage-sized brick-built shed, as you can no longer access it with a car, the drive is too narrow for modern cars. But because it is detached from the house, and separated by a block-paved area, it was too much of a job to run cables back and forth from the garage to use the garage for housing the solar equipment, or even put some solar panels on its perfectly south-facing sloping roof. The annoyances of retro-fitting. The garage has an electricity supply, but that was put in when it was built, to replace an older garage, 15 years ago, and the block paving needed to be disturbed to some degree at that time. The supply cable between house and garage takes a really perverse and long route, to limit how much paving had to be lifted. And all my garage walls are already completely covered with various storage arrangements.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:18 pm

IvanV wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:11 pm
Grumble wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:36 pm
He has Tesla batteries, which are designed to act as backup batteries, unlike batteries at half the price most of us will have. And he has to have 3-phase mains to have that large a solar/battery set up when he is in a thin part of the distribution system. That's extraordinary and a lot of money, that most people wouldn't put up with.

All the equipment lined up on that huge, clean, garage wall. Lovely if you can do that. Lovely to have such a wall at all, most of us don't.

I have a garage. Well, a garage-sized brick-built shed, as you can no longer access it with a car, the drive is too narrow for modern cars. But because it is detached from the house, and separated by a block-paved area, it was too much of a job to run cables back and forth from the garage to use the garage for housing the solar equipment, or even put some solar panels on its perfectly south-facing sloping roof. The annoyances of retro-fitting. The garage has an electricity supply, but that was put in when it was built, to replace an older garage, 15 years ago, and the block paving needed to be disturbed to some degree at that time. The supply cable between house and garage takes a really perverse and long route, to limit how much paving had to be lifted. And all my garage walls are already completely covered with various storage arrangements.
Oh I agree, he also managed to get the second battery for free due to the Tesla referral programme, which was obviously partly due to his profile persuading lots of people to quote his code. I think it’s unrealistic for most people, myself included.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:42 am

More fun when an engineer finally came to relocate my inverter and batteries into an external cabinet. This was done on Thursday. On Saturday I check on up on the stats to see how it has been going. Now I can't just lean to my right and press a button on the inverter, it's more convenient to use the app, and check it out on my computer. I want to make sure I can navigate that quickly.

So what do we see? This is the day before - a normal - if rather dull - summer day apart from the overnight power cut - lot of power cuts recently, lot of trees coming down after that hot weather it seems.
Day before.jpg
Day before.jpg (112.06 KiB) Viewed 583 times
And the day after:
Day after.jpg
Day after.jpg (118.39 KiB) Viewed 583 times
What's this? Weird patterns of usage? Consumption 52kWh? I go to my smart meter, and find my electricity supplier has charged me for 28kWh over the day. My average daily consumption before I had the system installed was, on average, under 10kWh. Even using my electricity to top up my hot water has only increased it by one or two, so it isn't that. I turn the system off - it's too expensive to have it on - and call the electrician who did the relocation work.

It turns out that there is a "reverse flow" setting on the inverter. Somehow this had been randomly triggered due to disconnecting it and reconnecting it. This resides in an area of "advanced settings" in the inverter menus you need a password to get to, and no one had told me the password. I suspect if I had been able to get into that part of menus, I wouldn't really have understood it. As a result of this reverse flow setting, I was charging my batteries from the grid, and then discharging them back to the grid, hence the huge grid consumption.

I learned some other useful things. I had been told that all I had to do to disable the system and make it safe to work on was turn off the two big red isolators. But I noticed that my battery continued to charge after I turned them off. Those were only on the AC. There is another isolator which is part of the inverter, which turns off the DC. There was a sticker identifying it, but it was much less obvious and I hadn't noticed it, and it hadn't been pointed out to me.

All working normally now. What is it with electricians? I've had dealings with several electricians over the years who made mistakes or couldn't explain things properly to me. This one had another job after me on Thursday, and had overrun his appointed time with me by an hour, so was in a hurry to get off. But another one had turned up to check his work, and he didn't notice either. And they'd have had to hang around for half an hour or so to realise that the inverter was reporting strange data. But it turned out that they could all log in to my inverter remotely and check it out, but none of them did, until I complained.