Light of Blast

Re: How the British are perceived overseas

Post by Gfamily » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:12 am

sheldrake wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:58 am
temptar wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:39 pm

Ireland, RoI, invented crisps
Are you sure https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Kitchiner ?
the wiki article author wrote:His love life was chequered: he married, separated, and had an illegitimate son, whom he acknowledged and funded. He surrounded himself with like-minded individuals, setting up a "committee of taste" which revolved around dinners, hosted by himself or held elsewhere
Just the kind of "better class" people that less able people admire - though funding the illegitimate sons is not regularised now.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:47 am

‘Large proportion’ of EU citizens plan to leave ‘unrecognisable’ UK because of Brexit
A survey carried out earlier this year by researchers from the University of Strathclyde’s found 58.62 per cent of respondents believe Brexit increased the likelihood of them leaving the UK.

The research revealed that the proportion would be even higher if it weren’t for practical concerns, like pension rights, forcing Europeans to remain in the UK.

Nonetheless, the study highlights the extent to which EU citizens’ sense of home has been damaged by Brexit – with data suggesting they are now feeling less attached and more insecure about their lives in the UK.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:04 am

shpalman wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:47 am
‘Large proportion’ of EU citizens plan to leave ‘unrecognisable’ UK because of Brexit
A survey carried out earlier this year by researchers from the University of Strathclyde’s found 58.62 per cent of respondents believe Brexit increased the likelihood of them leaving the UK.
These (media) articles are very frustrating. We are not told what proportion of EU citizens are planning to leave the UK - the survey may or may not tell us that. Instead we are told that 58.62% "believe Brexit increased the likelihood of them leaving the UK", which is not the same thing at all. Perhaps before Brexit they thought there was a 5% chance of them leaving and now there's a 6% chance. The casual reader is left with the idea that over half are actually planning to leave, presumably in some reasonable short time frame. But the proportion who are planning to leave could still be anywhere between 0 and 100%. You have to read the academic paper to find that "there is a sizable proportion who intend to leave in the near future or only stay short-term at a combined 14.65%", and the bar chart on page 15 suggests that just over half of those, say 7.6%, are in the "planning to leave in the near future" camp.

This is mostly just nerdery, but I do wish that people complaining about Brexit would do so accurately. Otherwise it just hands ammunition to people who claim that it's all scaremongering. When this time next year "only" 300k EU citizens have left, this will be turned into "Despite the claims of treacherous and/or foreign lefty academics, millions of EU citizens have stayed to enjoy the sunlit uplands".
Something something hammer something something nail

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:26 am

London has an abudance of EU citizens very annoyed about brexit but show no sign of leaving because their job prospects are better here and they secretly like the people.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:15 am

It’s also rare to emigrate once - vanishingly rare to emigrate twice.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:50 am

plodder wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:15 am
Depends what you mean by emigrate. Yes it is rare to move a whole family.

But lots of people without dependents move and work around several European countries. They're pretty mobile and go where the jobs are.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:01 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:50 am
plodder wrote:

But lots of people without dependents move and work around several European countries. They're pretty mobile and go where the jobs are.
I guess it depends on what we mean by emigrate. Kids on gap years working in bars across Europe are a thing but it's not clear who they were asking in the survey (only skim read it)

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:09 pm

plodder wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:01 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:50 am
plodder wrote:

I guess it depends on what we mean by emigrate. Kids on gap years working in bars across Europe are a thing but it's not clear who they were asking in the survey (only skim read it)
I'm not thinking of kids on gap years. But there is a large number of mostly unnoticed people that are a highly mobile workforce. The people who pick fruit, wash dishes, serve coffee, clean offices etc.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:14 pm

You're absolutely right - especially in cities.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:30 pm

And academics - smaller numbers but quite important to some sectors.

I've not seen figures, but anecdotally it seems like a lot of folk are put off. Of course, UK academia has quite low salaries by north european standards, and things like contracts and pensions are worsening so fast that there's been at least 3 strikes in the last decade, so as ever it's not clear whether to blame Brexit, Tories more generally, or a bit if both.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:58 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:30 pm

I've not seen figures, but anecdotally it seems like a lot of folk are put off. Of course, UK academia has quite low salaries by north european standards, and things like contracts and pensions are worsening so fast that there's been at least 3 strikes in the last decade, so as ever it's not clear whether to blame Brexit, Tories more generally, or a bit if both.
I don't know about academics specifically but so far figures show EU immigration has decreased, non-EU immigration has increased.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:58 pm

There is also high migration in trades depending upon the highly educated and skilled. The economic consultancy sector I work in has always had a lot of non-natives. Migrating several times is not uncommon in this sector.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:51 pm

Edit: BoaF already said what I wrote.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:53 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:

Tories and Labour is why I left the UK to the US, where funding is more stable, and the whole structure of research funding isn't reorganized every decade.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:48 pm

sheldrake wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:58 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:

I don't know about academics specifically but so far figures show EU immigration has decreased, non-EU immigration has increased.
May's "hostile environment" was already putting off non-EU migrants (in my anecdotal experience). Academic contracts are often precarious, and nobody wants to move somewhere where they might get chucked out during a few months between jobs, or almost immediately after finishing a degree for that matter.

For students, there's growth in numbers from China, and very recently India, but EU and rest of world seem flat. https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/r ... to-the-uk/ This is against a context of drastic growth in UK student numbers, with the UK losing market share overall, and specifically of EU and US students.

Can't immediately find data for academic jobs, rather than student positions, though.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:25 pm

Rest of world increased bit since 2016 in figure 3, but not as dramatically as India.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:40 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:48 pm
sheldrake wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:58 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:

May's "hostile environment" was already putting off non-EU migrants (in my anecdotal experience). Academic contracts are often precarious, and nobody wants to move somewhere where they might get chucked out during a few months between jobs, or almost immediately after finishing a degree for that matter.
Even before that, IM(anecdotal)E the Brexit vote was putting off EU academics due to the uncertainty about whether they'd remain eligible for EU funding if they moved to the UK. And US academics and the like were also concerned about the status of large programs with a significant EU funding element.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:50 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:40 pm
Even before that, IM(anecdotal)E the Brexit vote was putting off EU academics due to the uncertainty about whether they'd remain eligible for EU funding if they moved to the UK. And US academics and the like were also concerned about the status of large programs with a significant EU funding element.
Yes, among people I know that was the biggest concern.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:14 am

sheldrake wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:58 am
temptar wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:39 pm
Ireland, RoI, invented crisps
Are you sure https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Kitchiner ?
Both true and false. Kitchener may have created crisps, but from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_chip
in 1954, Joe "Spud" Murphy, the owner of the Irish crisps company Tayto, and his employee Seamus Burke, produced the world's first seasoned chips: Cheese & Onion and Salt & Vinegar.
Since the vast majority of modern crisps are flavoured, it's fair to say they were invented by Joe Murphy & co. even though the basic crisp itself already existed.