How did the driver get out of that?

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Gfamily
Light of Blast

How did the driver get out of that?

Post by Gfamily » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:32 pm

I assume he was shielded by the seat and headrest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... e-59291095
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Re: How did the driver get out of that?

Post by Martin Y » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:07 pm

I wondered if the cab had a partition which helped shield him. But more than that I'm thinking home made explosive which didn't detonate as intended. It seems incredible he could literally walk away, but although it blasted the windows out spectacularly, there wasn't visible bending or tearing of the bodywork. Cars which have had bombs go off in them tend to look like torn, twisted wreckage.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:20 pm

I've never been in an explosion myself but I've seen them in movies. This isn't a real explosion. It's a firework.

What do people think to the theory that bomb making guides on extremist websites are now 99.9% written by MI5 and the other security agencies? Designed to seem right, but fail to detonate properly in practice?
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:30 pm

Well if we're speculating, what do people think of the theory that it went off early, just before 11 o'clock; and that an awful lot of people in the reception area (where it may have been intended to go off during the silence) had a very lucky escape?
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:51 pm

lpm wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:20 pm
What do people think to the theory that bomb making guides on extremist websites are now 99.9% written by MI5 and the other security agencies? Designed to seem right, but fail to detonate properly in practice?
I don't think you need to do that. There's sufficient detailed care and attention required that you need to do several practice runs first, unless you are a very good practical chemist/engineer/physicist with a bit of related experience. Making potentially explosive substances isn't that difficult, but detonating them correctly is hard.

Practice runs are plausible if you're in a training camp in the middle east or something, but not if you're downloading a guide from the internet.

The IRA, Islamist (e.g. WTC bombing) and the unibomber did get improvised explosives right in western countries, but had training and practice opportunities.

basementer
Dorkwood

Post by basementer » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:47 pm

I've seen one news website (can't find link, sorry) suggest it might have been an incendiary. So it wouldn't need a big blast, just enough to ignite and scatter fuel.

But I agree with dyqik, it's very plausible that they just didn't have the experience and practical skills to make an effective bomb.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:50 am

The news footage which shows the car and large amounts of flame would seem to suggest that the bomb was either poorly designed/constructed or was intended to be a firebomb/Molotov cocktail type of device.

An explosive device which creates an explosion big enough to blow out the windows, but then leaves fuel to create a fire is typically a Hollywood special effect!

I can imagine that a Molotov cocktail type of device, if thrown into the lobby of a hospital, would cause significant confusion and damage. It's a simple, low-tech way of causing confusion and a bit of terror. I can also imagine that if the bomber wanted to throw it with little time for security/by-standers to react, then they may try to light the fuse while still in the taxi. And if you don't know fuses/had little training/no practice then you could then easily get the timing wrong.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

basementer
Dorkwood

Post by basementer » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:57 am

Good point, Martin. I'd reckon "both of the above" is much more likely than "neither of the above".
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

dccarm
Stargoon

Post by dccarm » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:56 am

A little bit of me wonders whether terrorists who rely on getting a taxi to their chosen target, and manage to reveal their bomb to the driver en-route, might not be the best at bomb-making either.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:49 am

I haven't seen anything in the news coverage about how the driver knew there was a bomb. Did the bomber show it to him or was it just a lucky spot?

dccarm
Stargoon

Post by dccarm » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:46 am

The early reports said the driver had spotted the device and locked the doors. I'm not sure now that that is accurate.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:51 am

dccarm wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:46 am
The early reports said the driver had spotted the device and locked the doors. I'm not sure now that that is accurate.
I think its very reasonable to assume that the driver noticed something. Taxi drivers don't usually leap out of their car and leave a passenger inside.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:55 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:51 am
dccarm wrote:
I think its very reasonable to assume that the driver noticed something. Taxi drivers don't usually leap out of their car and leave a passenger inside.
The device had already exploded - I think the driver would have noticed!
As for the doors being locked, this isn't uncommon with taxis to stop 'bolters' who run off before paying. Though it doesn't rule out a specific locking of the doors if the driver had seen something suspicious
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:11 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:55 am
Woodchopper wrote:
dccarm wrote:
As for the doors being locked, this isn't uncommon with taxis to stop 'bolters' who run off before paying. Though it doesn't rule out a specific locking of the doors if the driver had seen something suspicious
Ah Ok, I thought the driver got out before it went up.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:21 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:11 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Woodchopper wrote:

The video in the original link makes it clear - worth watching - Maybe I should have called the thread "How the f.ck did the driver get out of that!"
Meta? I'd say so!

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:58 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:21 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Gfamily wrote:

The video in the original link makes it clear - worth watching - Maybe I should have called the thread "How the f.ck did the driver get out of that!"
bl..dy hell. Those people running towards the car were either very brave or very stupid as there could have been secondary explosions.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:10 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:21 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Gfamily wrote:

Yes, indeed. The one in the link didn't work for me. But I found another copy.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:22 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:49 am
I haven't seen anything in the news coverage about how the driver knew there was a bomb. Did the bomber show it to him or was it just a lucky spot?
I’ve seen posts shared on Facebook by someone claiming to be a mate of the taxi driver, saying how brave he was and that he locked the doors to keep the bomber in when he realised there was a bomb. This story slightly undermined by the fact the bomb went off before the car stopped moving.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:54 pm

Grumble wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:22 pm
Tessa K wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:49 am
I’ve seen posts shared on Facebook by someone claiming to be a mate of the taxi driver, saying how brave he was and that he locked the doors to keep the bomber in when he realised there was a bomb. This story slightly undermined by the fact the bomb went off before the car stopped moving.
Yes, there were a lot of those stories going round when it first happened. That's what misled me.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:30 am

Tessa K wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:58 pm
bl..dy hell. Those people running towards the car were either very brave or very stupid as there could have been secondary explosions.
I am reminded of the Glasgow Airport incident where people ran towards the intending-to-be suicide bomber - some of them to give him a good kicking!
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:59 am

Martin_B wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:30 am
Tessa K wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:58 pm
I am reminded of the Glasgow Airport incident where people ran towards the intending-to-be suicide bomber - some of them to give him a good kicking!
There are always brave people who run into danger like the ones who tackled the knifeman in London Bridge attack. I wonder what the difference is between them and the rest of us who would run away (or freeze)? No doubt they don't weigh up the danger, it's an instinctive reaction, but it's interesting and I wonder what they are like in their lives generally.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-50608315

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:20 am

The narrative requires us to act this way. We are shaped by fiction. From a young age we are taught what a hero is and what a hero does and why we must be a hero.

Everyone knows you will get to the man trapped in the burning car and drag him to safety just before there's a spectacular explosion.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:14 am

lpm wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:20 am
The narrative requires us to act this way. We are shaped by fiction. From a young age we are taught what a hero is and what a hero does and why we must be a hero.

Everyone knows you will get to the man trapped in the burning car and drag him to safety just before there's a spectacular explosion.
Ugh...this.

I witnessed a car rolling over in front of me when I was riding my motorbike on the M54.

I stopped and did my risk assessment before starting to approach the car. There was a mysterious liquid pooling under it, but it turned out to be coolant.

People stopped *on both sides of the carriageway* and started sprinting towards the car - running across from the other hard shoulder whilst cars whizzed past. I had to really shout at people to tell them to stop and pointed to the liquid.

I was wearing my full bike leathers and helmet, so I approached with caution and managed to get the guy out of the car...amazingly with only a small head wound.

People go into lizard mode when things like this happen.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:22 am

I presume you checked the bloke for spinal injuries before moving him?
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole